Hornby - New tooling - Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

If the socket was in the place indicated in the instructions, the Zimo alternative to the harness-type Hornby decoder would be the MX617F which I've deployed in the Terrier. That was what I was expecting to need when I find time to collect my Westminster. As it isn't, I imagine an MX616N would be most likely to fit within the space under the socket. While I'm frustrated at facing the higher cost of that (£30+ rather than £20), at least it'll save the hassle of trying to get a bundle of wires tucked away under the body. That said, whether the different socket location was Hornby's intention or not, having the socket and blanking plug heatshrink-wrapped together is clearly a special kind of daft.

Of course, the ideal situation would be for Hornby not to assume that everyone using DCC will be happy using their own decoder, and instead put the socket in a place that gives a suitably sized void to accommodate a conventional direct plug 6 pin decoder. That would then enable straightforward fitment of the owner's preference of a myriad of ordinary 6 pin decoders like the MX617N in around 5 minutes, as the design of some other manufacturers' locos have permitted for a number of years now. This loco's chassis is clearly derived from that of the W4, and The Engine Shed said as much when it was announced, but there's no reason why this couldn't have been considered in the design process anyway.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Fenway Park said:

Just picked up Westminster from Derails. Surprised how heavy it is, good slow running qualities.

I still would've liked a flywheel on that motor [mutters]. I know I don't really miss it on the W4, but it's a personal shibboleth from all those diesels that ran so well (and the J15). ;)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Rising Standards said:

If the socket was in the place indicated in the instructions, the Zimo alternative to the harness-type Hornby decoder would be the MX617F which I've deployed in the Terrier. That was what I was expecting to need when I find time to collect my Westminster. As it isn't, I imagine an MX616N would be most likely to fit within the space under the socket. While I'm frustrated at facing the higher cost of that (£30+ rather than £20), at least it'll save the hassle of trying to get a bundle of wires tucked away under the body. That said, whether the different socket location was Hornby's intention or not, having the socket and blanking plug heatshrink-wrapped together is clearly a special kind of daft.

Of course, the ideal situation would be for Hornby not to assume that everyone using DCC will be happy using their own decoder, and instead put the socket in a place that gives a suitably sized void to accommodate a conventional direct plug 6 pin decoder. That would then enable straightforward fitment of the owner's preference of a myriad of ordinary 6 pin decoders like the MX617N in around 5 minutes, as the design of some other manufacturers' locos have permitted for a number of years now. This loco's chassis is clearly derived from that of the W4, and The Engine Shed said as much when it was announced, but there's no reason why this couldn't have been considered in the design process anyway.

Thanks for the information. Looks like I will go for the MX616N.

I agree with your comments about not being able to use a direct plug 6 pin as on the W4.

I have the DCC fitted Westminster on the rolling road at the moment so I took off the body to see how the DCC chip has been fitted.

The DCC decoder has heat shrink around it I seem to remember Hornby saying do not use insulating tape or heat shrink on their decoders as damage may result from overheating.  

20190823_160953_001.jpg

20190823_161004_001.jpg

Are you sure that even a MX616N will actually fit?

I will open mine up again tomorrow and check just how much space is actually available once the ‘blanking plate’ Is removed.

Edit

Having taken a look, yes I think the MX616N will just fit.

Edited by NickC
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

On 22/08/2019 at 18:29, Steamport Southport said:

Try here for photos of models and the prototypes. Totally different cabs at least. But the B1s do look a bit smaller to my eyes.

http://cspmodels.com/abante/index.php?rt=product/manufacturer&manufacturer_id=21

Jason

Thanks. To my eyes the front half of the cab looks the same.  It’s the back half and the bunker that are different.  I agree that the B1 looks smaller but I wonder if that’s because of the smaller bunker and taller chimney.

So far I’ve found a drawing of a B3.  I’m going to keep searching for drawings of a B1 and B2.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had originally ordered the pretty little blue one, but recently I've been thinking that with it's NCB livery, it's a bit too restrictive for the various uses that I shall put it to, so I rang the absolutely brilliant Kernow Model Rail Centre at about 15.30 hrs yesterday afternoon, to change my order to the dark green 'Westminster' version. I was delighted when Postie rang the door bell at 0930 hrs this morning, to deliver it. That's First Class service, chaps, second to none!

• Like 6

All you lucky people showing off your new Pecketts. I was looking forward to fitting some proper couplings and having a weathering session, this afternoon, but I'm having to send mine back for a replacement as it would barely run. :(

• Friendly/supportive 8

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Could someone please take a caliper to their Westminster and give an accurate measurement of the height of the printed nameplate? I would like to order some plates from Narrow Planet.

Not to put you off but just to warn you that you could be waiting a while. I'm still waiting for custom plates ordered on the 2nd June with no comms as to the delay. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Not to put you off but just to warn you that you could be waiting a while. I'm still waiting for custom plates ordered on the 2nd June with no comms as to the delay. 

On the other hand, you could argue that it's good that they have such a healthy order book.

I'll be ordering some plates for mine as well, once I've worked out what his name is.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'll be ordering some plates for mine as well, once I've worked out what his name is.

Arthur would be quite nice..........

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Arthur would be quite nice..........

Yes, true enough. The name has to fit one of at least three possible industrial and light railway scenarios, all of which are in reality outrageously improbable.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

I do wish Hornby would have better explained the DCC set up on these locos. Early this year in their Collector Magazine, there was mention of a speaker space in the bunker. So I was planning DCC sound but it is becoming clear from here that there is barely space for a plain DCC chip let alone the much bigger sound chips.

Had I known about this, I would have ordered the DCC plain fitted version rather than the none DCC fitted version that is currently flying my way. Aside the hassle of fitting a chip, it will now cost me more than pre-fitted.

Please Hornby, kindly ensure that you correctly communicate the DCC limits of these small models so we can correctly decide which model version to buy. Had I waited, then doubtless they could have sold out on pre-order.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Choosing which option ( fitted or ready) to buy is an obvious dilemma when a new model is announced especially with the small models now being produced. From what I see DCC fitted has been the most popular version and think this says something to  Hornby etc.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

Has anyone thought about applying metal nameplates to e.g. "Westminster"?  Source?  I am assuming the plate would have to be bent (curved) slightly to fit to the saddletank side.  Comments please.

Best bet for plates is Narrow Planet

These are NP plates:

DSCF9910.JPG

Although obviously not a Peckett..

Richard

• Like 3

On 24/08/2019 at 15:51, Ruston said:

Could someone please take a caliper to their Westminster and give an accurate measurement of the height of the printed nameplate? I would like to order some plates from Narrow Planet.

Can someone please help with this?

• Like 1

Thanks to those who have provided good information about interior and exterior of this model. Always useful to those of us whose inevitable second thought is 'now what can I mangle this into?'.

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 10:38, RLWP said:

...Although obviously not a Peckett...

Ane fule no it is a Charles.

Then again you might tell this ignoramus just what it is?

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

13mm long x 2.5mm deep, so to cover without a lot of faffing about, and still fit between the ribs on the tank, 14 x 3 should do nicely.

John

Thanks for that. I'm changing the name, so I'm going to remove the printed plate anyway but I needed the dimension to make sure the new plates are right.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/08/2019 at 17:23, Robin Verth said:

I have the DCC fitted Westminster on the rolling road at the moment so I took off the body to see how the DCC chip has been fitted.

The DCC decoder has heat shrink around it I seem to remember Hornby saying do not use insulating tape or heat shrink on their decoders as damage may result from overheating.  

20190823_160953_001.jpg

20190823_161004_001.jpg

Looks like a nice chassis for a Triang Polly,.

• Like 1