Hornby - New tooling - Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

I'm a little bit surprised you've removed the cap Graham. I can't remember  ever seeing a Peckett without it. Now, cue 5,000 posters with absolute proof that  I'm talking out of my ar$e

Cheers,

Ian.

it looks to be still there but now in black

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I'm a little bit surprised you've removed the cap Graham. I can't remember  ever seeing a Peckett without it. Now, cue 5,000 posters with absolute proof that  I'm talking out of my ar$e

Cheers,

Ian.

I’ve not removed it just painted it black , as being a Southern man copper caps like that on the other railway, don’t look good to me :) 

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

Just found a photo of Westminster at Shipton on the 29th March 1970. Like the concrete buffers and curtains! I wonder if Hattons could be persuaded to do an 0-6-0 Andrew Barkley. It shows Westminster retained her name and her green for a very long time. 

Shipton on Cherwell Quarry

• Like 7

I have my replacement engine, from Hattons. It runs fine and there's nothing wrong with the model itself but I noticed it stopped for no apparent reason in several places. On close inspection I found it was losing electrical pickup. It turns out that Hornby have fitted wheels with hugely oversize flanges and they are hitting the ballast in some places. The flanges are 1mm deep, where those on the Hornby W4 Peckett are a much more reasonable 0.75mm and cause no problems on my track at all. This seems to be a backward step in appearance and practicality and is not something that you want on an industrial engine, which is going to operate on rough-looking track as the prototypes often did.

Edited by Ruston
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Ruston said:

I have my replacement engine, from Hattons. It runs fine and there's nothing wrong with the model itself but I noticed it stopped for no apparent reason in several places. On close inspection I found it was losing electrical pickup. It turns out that Hornby have fitted wheels with hugely oversize flanges and they are hitting the ballast at some points. The flanges are 1mm deep, where those on the Hornby W4 Peckett are a much more reasonable 0.75mm and cause no problems on my track at all. This seems to be a backward step in appearance and practicality and is not something that you want on an industrial engine, which is going to operate on rough-looking track as the prototypes often did.

Is flange reduction an option or are the wheels plated and therefore likely to deteriorate if  modified?

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ruston said:

I have my replacement engine, from Hattons. It runs fine and there's nothing wrong with the model itself but I noticed it stopped for no apparent reason in several places. On close inspection I found it was losing electrical pickup. It turns out that Hornby have fitted wheels with hugely oversize flanges and they are hitting the ballast at some points. The flanges are 1mm deep, where those on the Hornby W4 Peckett are a much more reasonable 0.75mm and cause no problems on my track at all. This seems to be a backward step in appearance and practicality and is not something that you want on an industrial engine, which is going to operate on rough-looking track as the prototypes often did.

Quick question - Which/whose track are you using it on - presumably one of the code 75 brands? Just asking before I buy (or not!!)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lochlongside said:

Quick question - Which/whose track are you using it on - presumably one of the code 75 brands? Just asking before I buy (or not!!)

Peco bullhead. It's no fault of the track but, being an industrial railway, it doesn't have perfectly trimmed ballast and it's those little areas where the ballast covers the sleepers that it won't run on. I have a whole section of line where the sleepers are completely buried and weeds (static grass) are between the rails and it won't run on that at all.I can't rip up and alter the whole section, so this engine simply can't be used on it. It's really annoying since there's absolutely no reason for Hornby to have made them like this, especially as the previous Pecketts don't have these deep flanges and run perfectly on all areas of my layout.

28 minutes ago, davknigh said:

Is flange reduction an option or are the wheels plated and therefore likely to deteriorate if  modified?

Cheers,

David

I don't know and I wouldn't dare take the thing apart to even try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A very early post from Andy Y suggested that 'Sherwood' was appropriate for 'Era 3', yet the recent pictures show the model with "waspie" warning stripes on the buffer beam, which I always thought was a 1960s development.  Can anyone tell us definitively what years the model in this livery is actually suitable for, please?

Edited by Willie Whizz
  • Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 10:33, Ruston said:

...The flanges are 1mm deep, where those on the Hornby W4 Peckett are a much more reasonable 0.75mm

Disappointing backward step. Movement towards Heljan's use of roughly 0.45mm would be the thing.

19 hours ago, davknigh said:

I have these last fifteen years performed flange reduction on the Airfix GMR origin pizza cutters fitted to the Mainline/Dapol/Hornby N2 , and the nickel plating on brass completely wore off the tyres before I did this, and has worn away since on newer specimens at no appreciably greater rate, so no detrimental effect noticeable from the flange reduction. And all the long in service models still run on the brass tyre perfectly happily. (Trivial increase in resistance once wholly 'on the brass', it happens I measured it recently in response to a query elsewhere.)

Now I cannot tell you what will happen on the Peckett, but it will get its flanges reduced when I get one. Smaller the model, the more the need for better proportioning of such features. (While I am not wholly enamoured of Heljan's constructional scheme for steam locos, the effect of their commendably small flange on the 2'8" pony truck wheel of the O2 is a very satisfactory aspect of this model, and running reliability is 100%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have received my "Westminster" and it really is very nice. Only really let  down by the dome - firstly by the joint line down the side and compared to Hattons brass dome on their SECR class "P" the effect is very poor. Has anyone got plans for nameplates and worksplates in the pipeline? I didn't get a "Dodo", so I don't know what the dome was like on that.  Am I being picky? Test running planned for tomorrow. Has RT done the dome in brass yet, presumably for "Dodo" ,but would it fit "Westminster".

I remember "Westminster" working at Kidlington, often visible in the 1960's from a passing train.

Not convinced I remember the logo on the cabside at that time, though!

• Like 1

On 31/08/2019 at 19:55, fottist said:

I have received my "Westminster" and it really is very nice. Only really let  down by the dome - firstly by the joint line down the side and compared to Hattons brass dome on their SECR class "P" the effect is very poor. Has anyone got plans for nameplates and worksplates in the pipeline? I didn't get a "Dodo", so I don't know what the dome was like on that.  Am I being picky? Test running planned for tomorrow. Has RT done the dome in brass yet, presumably for "Dodo" ,but would it fit "Westminster".

I remember "Westminster" working at Kidlington, often visible in the 1960's from a passing train.

Correct style Peckett name and workplates are available from Narrow Planet.

Some other manufacturers such as 247 Developments make nameplates to order.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 19:55, fottist said:

As everyone is querying the logo on the cab side, here's a link to a pic that popped up on Facebook, showing the logo in place

05/03/1960 - Shipton-on-Cherwell, Oxon.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived from the depths of the Forest of Dean today. Looks lovely, runs really well. Yes, it is vacuum and steam heat fitted, for work on my "preserved" line. easily pulls 7Mk1s, but won't be made to do it routinely.

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1256.JPG

• Like 12

The logo question - some time after the picture posted which was taken 5/3/60, the logo had disappeared, and it gained the "concrete" front buffers. Here is a shot which I took at Kidlington on 12/3/66. So when did it happen? Maybe this will be a weathering and detailing challenge? I hope that this will be useful for those of you who want to detail your pristine model of "Westminster" (including the dents in the dome?). Note the BTC commission plate and somebody has nicked the Peckett works plate. By the way the Barclay was working that day.mac002421.jpg.45ac64b134fd0926f6464ef4cbbae370.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31 August 2019 at 19:55, fottist said:

IHas RT done the dome in brass yet, presumably for "Dodo" ,but would it fit "Westminster".

Ive had the dome in stock since March but there's been various quality problems with salter valves so these have been posted out today having had to make new ones plus the whistle so hopefully will be ready finally by the end of September.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'd like to remove the APC roundel but what's the best way to do that without spoiling the paint finish? Or maybe paint over it if I can match the colour? Already renamed with plates from Modelmaster to fit in with my imaginary and yet to be built sugar refinery. All track is Peco 100 so flanges are not a mechanical problem, only an aesthetic one!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, fottist said:

The logo question - some time after the picture posted which was taken 5/3/60, the logo had disappeared, and it gained the "concrete" front buffers. Here is a shot which I took at Kidlington on 12/3/66. So when did it happen? Maybe this will be a weathering and detailing challenge? I hope that this will be useful for those of you who want to detail your pristine model of "Westminster" (including the dents in the dome?). Note the BTC commission plate and somebody has nicked the Peckett works plate. By the way the Barclay was working that day.mac002421.jpg.45ac64b134fd0926f6464ef4cbbae370.jpg

I would assume the logo was just a transfer of the same type used on the wagons. I doubt at that time they would be having someone painting one.

As for removing them. A tiny bit of T cut on a cottonbud and rubbing gently usually does the trick.

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, RAYTHEROCK said:

I'd like to remove the APC roundel but what's the best way to do that without spoiling the paint finish? 

T-Cut removed mine, to return the polished finish to satin/matte I used enamel thinners on a cotton bud wiped over the high gloss surface.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5