Hornby - New tooling - Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Recieved this today from Hattons

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order id xxxxxxx, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby R3695 Class B2 Peckett 0-6-0ST 1455 in National Coal Board lined blue £99.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Wednesday 2nd October 2019

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed.

This information is to be used as a guide only.

Edited by CHAZ D
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 26/09/2019 at 10:01, Derails Models said:

Here at Derails we've just received the last livery of the Peckett in NCB livery! You will be seeing on the shelves of your local soon!

I've been waiting for this one since the Sherwood and Blue Circle versions arrived- Picked mine up from Signal Box at Anstey this afternoon, along with a Ruston- very impressed by both

Edited by Invicta
  • Like 1

I think this looks a tad more appropriate for the Coal Board than a pristine loco.

Buffer beams have been wasp striped, copper cap blackened and otherwise filthed up. I've removed the Ryhope markings and will be getting number plates done to make it the No.4 for my future fictional Colliery layout.20191003_064810.jpg.e3e76d49add161dd09fed239e142770e.jpg

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

15 hours ago, WD0-6-0 said:

I think this looks a tad more appropriate for the Coal Board than a pristine loco.

Buffer beams have been wasp striped, copper cap blackened and otherwise filthed up. I've removed the Ryhope markings and will be getting number plates done to make it the No.4 for my future fictional Colliery layout.20191003_064810.jpg.e3e76d49add161dd09fed239e142770e.jpg

Might I ask how does one do Wasp striping?

• Like 2

Carefully. They're stingy little things.  :jester:

Serious answer is some people just paint them using either a steady hand or masking. Whilst others use transfers. Paint the yellow first.

Fox do them for example.

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/locomotive-shunter-chevrons-wasp-stripes

Railtec

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=wasp

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, scots region said:

Might I ask how does one do Wasp striping?

7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Carefully. They're stingy little things.  :jester:

Serious answer is some people just paint them using either a steady hand or masking. Whilst others use transfers. Paint the yellow first.

Fox do them for example.

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/locomotive-shunter-chevrons-wasp-stripes

Railtec

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=wasp

Jason

I usually paint them because it's cheaper (most models already have paint, brushes and tape afterall) but transfers are neater. In this case it doesn't matter as they're covered in filth. 

First off I undercoat the buffer beam in white, then I apply the yellow. 

I cut several thin strips of masking tape and apply them at equal spacing. Then I apply the black, it takes me about 1-1.5 hours per end. I cheated and only photographed the front end as I haven't done the rear buffer beam yet.

If I was leaving it pristine I would probably buy the transfers but seeing as its covered under a heavy layer of filth its (many) imperfections are hidden

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just put together a short running Session, featuring stunning NCB Lined Blue B2 and my Model Rail / Dapol Sentinel in eye-catching NCB Purple with Wasp Stripes.
Here we see the Peckett arrive with a short rake of NCB Hoppers, shunting, before shunting them into a siding and heading of to the shed, while the Sentinel departs with a loaded rake of mixed NCB Wagons. 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if it would be feasible to produce a B1 body for the same Chassis?

The B1 Class had a long history, from at least 1883, so far as I can discover.  The cab is a strikingly attractive design with the 'double-scoop' to the side sheets and the class includes the two Alexandra Docks locos that became GWR 679 and 680.

I wonder if this is under consideration by Hornby.

I feel that the best way to guarantee such a release is for me to do a conversion! S*d's law. But I quite fancy having a go. 

This one, 750 of 1898, judging from the lining style, looks to me to be in the same Peckett light green works livery as the W4 Dodo.  I think it would make a very attractive release.

1618766685_B1750of1898.jpg.4507826e238c8d517fe406ec03c0157f.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Edwardian said:

The B1 Class had a long history, from at least 1883, so far as I can discover.  The cab is a strikingly attractive design with the 'double-scoop' to the side sheets and the class includes the two Alexandra Docks locos that became GWR 679 and 680.

The B1 class will have a different tank/smokebox arrangement whereby the tank overlaps the smokebox front and is bolted through as opposed to the later pattern where the smokebox plate overlaps the tank. See the front of the Hornby W4 vs the B2 for an example. This arrangement was also apparent on early members of the B2 class. 

EDIT: Are you sure the linked image is a B1 class? The boiler looks to be sitting quite high in the frames compared to the GWR-absorbed one I have photographs of. 

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I wonder if this is under consideration by Hornby.

I feel that the best way to guarantee such a release is for me to do a conversion! S*d's law. But I quite fancy having a go. 

This one, 750 of 1898, judging from the lining style, looks to me to be in the same Peckett light green works livery as the W4 Dodo.  I think it would make a very attractive release.

1618766685_B1750of1898.jpg.4507826e238c8d517fe406ec03c0157f.jpg

No need to faff  around with a conversion. There's a kit available. http://cspmodels.com/abante/index.php?rt=product/product&path=65&product_id=245 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, #2 son had his layout out this weekend so I got a chance to test run "Sherwood" What a stunning performer. Very, very impressed Hornby. Smooth, quiet, faultless running.

The only issue is that the rear NEM pocket is loose in it's mounting so can drop off the loco. I will not be sending it back to @Trains4U though ;)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

The B1 class will have a different tank/smokebox arrangement whereby the tank overlaps the smokebox front and is bolted through as opposed to the later pattern where the smokebox plate overlaps the tank. See the front of the Hornby W4 vs the B2 for an example. This arrangement was also apparent on early members of the B2 class. 

EDIT: Are you sure the linked image is a B1 class? The boiler looks to be sitting quite high in the frames compared to the GWR-absorbed one I have photographs of. 

Paul A. 

Thanks, Paul,

First, to answer your question, I understand this to be a Works photograph, in house livery, of B1 750, of 1898 - IRS Link

As it is clearly not a B2, to be frank, I cannot see what else it could be.

I see what you mean about the tank/smoke box relationship. I would need to adapt the Hornby model. 

It is clear from this picture of B1, 450 of 1886, and by comparing the two Hornby models

1929788922_450of1886.jpeg.a8b23165ce45f7b8bc9cd572e406aea4.jpeg

176622507_IMG_3489-Copy.JPG.08017d8e1c2ae6cff8c205b4db9306dd.JPG

From what you say, that would also be the case if I wanted a 1905 B2, which is my alternative option. I don't see why a very thin styrene overlay should not accomplish this.  

Either way, I don't see that this would be any more of a faff than installing wooden buffer beams or knocking up a replacement cab in styrene sheet.  It strikes me as less faff (and less expensive) than the CSP kit.

Anyway, the point was to have some fun bodging!

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Thanks, Paul,

First, to answer your question, I understand this to be a Works photograph, in house livery, of B1 750, of 1898 - IRS Link

As it is clearly not a B2, to be frank, I cannot see what else it could be.

Whilst a good pool of knowledge the IRS are not completely infallible, I am not 100% sold on it being a B1 - something about the boiler/tank height verses the cab windows do not match. The B1 was smaller than the B2 class which was again smaller than B3. 

Pecketts offered a range much vaster than their later published catalogue would suggest. In fact, in this respect so did many other British industrial locomotive builders. It would not at all surprise if this were neither class or a "special" of which there were a great many turned out. 

Paul A. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1whitemoor said:

Whilst a good pool of knowledge the IRS are not completely infallible, I am not 100% sold on it being a B1 - something about the boiler/tank height verses the cab windows do not match. The B1 was smaller than the B2 class which was again smaller than B3. 

Pecketts offered a range much vaster than their later published catalogue would suggest. In fact, in this respect so did many other British industrial locomotive builders. It would not at all surprise if this were neither class or a "special" of which there were a great many turned out. 

Paul A. 

I see your point.  The loco pictured by the IRS appears to have greater 'heft' and height.  I was pondering whether this was a result of a slightly upward viewing angle, but it could be a non-standard 'super B1'!

Anyway, it is a useful picture inasmuch as it appears to show the application of the Peckett works livery.

I shall base any B1 conversion on the Alexandra Docks sisters, because I have drawings for these and they were well-photographed, but I shall be aiming for no particular B1.  

3 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Well, #2 son had his layout out this weekend so I got a chance to test run "Sherwood" What a stunning performer. Very, very impressed Hornby. Smooth, quiet, faultless running.

The only issue is that the rear NEM pocket is loose in it's mounting so can drop off the loco. I will not be sending it back to @Trains4U though ;)

I have found with the occasional other locos and rolling stock with this problem that a small spot of Blu-tack, or equivalent, placed in the dovetail slot for the pocket will usually keep it in place and also prevent it from drooping, while still allowing the side to side flexing.

A question. Could backdating the NCB version of the B2 be as easy as painting out the stripes on the cab steps or is there much more to it than that? I’m thinking mid ‘50s to mid ‘60s as the time period for me.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

On 18/10/2019 at 20:47, davknigh said:

A question. Could backdating the NCB version of the B2 be as easy as painting out the stripes on the cab steps or is there much more to it than that? I’m thinking mid ‘50s to mid ‘60s as the time period for me.

Cheers,

David

I have backdated my Sherwood by painting over wasp stripes & fitting the RT Models lost wax safety valve castings for the 4 wheel peckett

48910444953_62bbfe8ccd_c.jpgIMG_20191016_232506 by brian mosby, on Flickr

from this

48834476067_92096dac4a_c.jpgHornby New R&H 48DS at work by brian mosby, on Flickr

Edited by mozzer models
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 14/10/2019 at 12:39, SRman said:

I have found with the occasional other locos and rolling stock with this problem that a small spot of Blu-tack, or equivalent, placed in the dovetail slot for the pocket will usually keep it in place and also prevent it from drooping, while still allowing the side to side flexing.

I use Humbrol Clearfix. Acts like a glue, until you want to remove the coupling, at which point the Clearfix just snaps!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...