Hornby - New tooling - Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

On 06/03/2021 at 11:30, tomparryharry said:

A lot of industrial locomotives went on cylinder size for any given gauge. Barclays are well-known for this. A classic example is the Barclay 14" locomotive. Both Victory, and Llantarnam Abbey (Blaenavon )  are the same size cylinder, which allows the same motion, etc. The 6-wheeler has (naturally ) longer frames, so you get luxuries like a roomier cab, and a better bunker. The boiler however, keeps the same boiler size, and the cab that adorns it.

In this instance, standardisation is not only confined to Swindon.....   

Andrew Barclays went a step further than most with regards to standardization - though in some respects it was to their detriment. The six cooupled Barclays of this period required a split ash pan - meaning you need to get at it from both ends from ashing out, so need a pit. 

The major flaw with this design however is that the six coupled design isn't capable of maintaining steam on continuous run. The boiler barrel and firebox is essentially undersized, being identical to the 0-4-0. These problems were experienced when AB2139 was in use on the expansive Scunthorpe Steelworks railway in the early 1990s where the crew had to stop periodically to rebuild steam.

Paul A. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, sounds about right.  The rear axle bisects the ashpan.  The same applies to the Hunslet 18" Austerity.    I think Ajax (Havenstreet )  had the loco for a while, but I don't think  they could make steam on it. The blastpipe on a Barclay is, for some reason, poorly designed.  Embsay had one loco  (can't remember which )  which was sorted, and they got some good results.  A brick arch on a 14" Barclay is essential:  Rosyth at Blaenavon has one, and it'll tackle 3 Mk 1s at a push. 

Remember that Barclays  built locomotives for special one offs, and stock locomotives.  Apparently. they weren't above stripping a loco for spares, if the bespoke items weren't immediately to hand. I can well remember viewing the 4-4-0 loco at Upper Hutt, near Wellington, NZ.  I mentioned to the museum staff that " They only built the one loco to that particular design, and that's it".  The staff  have taken the loco inside for restoration, and I wish them well.  Most of the mechanicals are derived  from a 12" Barclay, despite being a different gauge.  

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Peckett works version of this beauty on pre-order with Derails - has anyone who owns a DCC version found there is a need for a stay alive over live frogs, and if so, has anyone successfully squeezed one in? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Off Tackle said:

Got the Peckett works version of this beauty on pre-order with Derails - has anyone who owns a DCC version found there is a need for a stay alive over live frogs, and if so, has anyone successfully squeezed one in? 

FWIW Digitrains did one for me with sound and stay alive (in the cab IIRC but any visual issue is outweighed by splendid running)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Off Tackle said:

I haven't found it necessary. Faultless running since day one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bloxham, port of Bristol and NCB green arrived at Hornby today, NCB blue not yet in stock.

Have Bloxham, port of Bristol and NCB blue on order at Hattons.

Two out of  three soon on the way to me, just a little patience for the third.

Wonderfull loco's

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Many thanks for the replies @Gilbert and @Mick Bonwick! She's a beauty alright.....I'll see if she's as smooth as Gilbert's without a stay-alive first, fingers crossed. Been wondering if me Peckett has managed to wedge itself at 45 degrees across the Suez canal but it sounds like they're in the country. Bring it on!

• Like 3

I’ve held off ordering one as none of them quite fitted the period I was after. However because Henry has no obvious markings of the period (ie references to Nationalised industries) and is definitely the prettiest one released in now counting the days until it arrives. Fascinated by the thought of fitting sound as Youchoos somehow managed.

• Like 2

Well 1426 arrived today... with a big crack in its bunker. The coal load loose, shortly followed by the cab roof and rear head. I’ve glued it all back together, if it went back it would just be so much more wasted plastic. Out of curiosity does plastic cement work on hornbys stuff? Only gorilla gell is hard to control.

• Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, scots region said:

Well 1426 arrived today... with a big crack in its bunker. The coal load loose, shortly followed by the cab roof and rear head. I’ve glued it all back together, if it went back it would just be so much more wasted plastic. Out of curiosity does plastic cement work on hornbys stuff? Only gorilla gell is hard to control.

In my opinion it should be sent back if nothing else to highlight the quality issue to Hornby. That can't fix an issue if they don't know about it. These models are sold as ready to run, not kits. Hornby like many others are happy to increase prices each year and I, like many others are happy to pay those prices, but only if the products are of the highest quality.

• Agree 6

• Moderators
On 09/04/2021 at 15:08, scots region said:

Well 1426 arrived today... with a big crack in its bunker. The coal load loose, shortly followed by the cab roof and rear head.

I've had word from a retailer that over 75% of their stock of the most recent batch of B2s is damaged with loose parts and badly refixed parts which will be heading back. Other stock in the same package hadn't suffered similar problems. Keep your eyes open.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold

Rather poor QC by Hornby, both steps broken off and not just loose as a small corner of lining was still in the socket!

71B80E3D-B79F-4BE6-AA27-EA1B10F391F1.jpeg.1f73e7ab57cd914f24e6c3b07858cd08.jpeg

More worrying was it jumped when run. Turns out the motion bracket was straight down so the slidebars and crosshead were flailing around and hitting the crankpin on the leading driver! Easy fix but both sides were wrong so it’s looking like it was just slammed together. 
6DD23725-C4A5-4838-B5B4-3F1EC928A4BF.jpeg.d6ce667b16778faa86b1c11d685b448b.jpeg
For me less hassle to repair than send back but this second part isn’t rough handling in the post. 

I have emailed Hornby the detail. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Setting those issues to one side, Paul, Henry does look quite the jolly chap. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Setting those issues to one side, Paul, Henry does look quite the jolly chap. 

Rob. 

It’s a superb little model and while some might say I should send it back it took 30 secs to fix and less hassle than parcelling it up and sending it back :) 

The steps must be the packaging as they were inside the sleeve and snapped but the motion bracket is just poor assembly and as they were straight down and solid whoever was supposed to click in the slidebars either didn’t know to do it or was very sloppy. Runs beautifully now

720CDD70-CD0E-483A-B7C5-A8E74DEDD930.jpeg.399158e8f07b005203faaf93755a6cfe.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

On 08/03/2021 at 17:29, 1whitemoor said:

These problems were experienced when AB2139 was in use on the expansive Scunthorpe Steelworks railway in the early 1990s where the crew had to stop periodically to rebuild steam.

Paul A. 

You don't really want to be doing that when you're in the middle of shifting some of those wagons full of molten metal from one part of the steelworks to another. 

• Agree 2

With these and the numerous shockingly assembled A2s, never mind the colours, Hornby seem to have lost control of any quality control no doubt due to them using numerous manufacturers and no doubt tendering models out to the cheapest. Are these being made by the same lot responsible for the original batches ?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Two  [port of Bristol and the blue NCB]  of the  three in pre order at Hattons are put in my baskett that are now going to shipped included one Coronation coach, the third Bloxham could not yet been processed because i was forgotten to put money on my card:banghead:, so did a payment at once on my card today hopefully this will proceed the processing today

They were processed yesterday, so assuming in stock all 4 Peckett since yesterday at Hattons. three at least i know.

Now hoping there are no poor QC on these, they have to travel to the flat lands here in the Netherlands.

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Port of Bristol 'Henry' has arrived with me today. My first purchase from Derails, great service. No QC issues but a note inside to say it had been checked by the shop.

I hadn't planned to buy a B2, quite happy with my brace of W4s, but Chris Nevard's shots of Henry for Kernow on his layout sold the engine to me! 

Hornby have really got the running qualities right on their Pecketts. Smooth, quiet and more than enough power. Matched only by Rapido products in my opinion!

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Torn-on-the-platform said:

-8<--- a few lines deleted

I hadn't planned to buy a B2, quite happy with my brace of W4s, but Chris Nevard's shots of Henry for Kernow on his layout sold the engine to me! 

Do you have a link to the Chris Nevard article, please

Regards

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, steaming_chris said:

Do you have a link to the Chris Nevard article, please

Regards

As he said it’s on the Kernow website ;) the thumbnail is just below the loco and will open if you click on it. 

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/69888/R3871-Hornby-Peckett-B2-Class-0-6-0ST-Steam-Locomotive-Henry

• Like 2