Hornby - New tooling - Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

Whilst I am interested in the 'The Earl', 1456 and Henry models, would these liveries have just been suitable for the Big Four era at all? I suspect the answer would be yes but some clearance would be helpful.

Edited by Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

Whilst I am interested in the 'The Earl', 1456 and Henry models, would these liveries have just been suitable for the Big Four era at all? I suspect the answer would be yes but some clearance would be helpful.

Well The Earl was built in 1910 but has the later dome which I seem to remember happened in the 20-30’s on some locos but not all. Henry has the early dome so valid from 1913 onwards although you’d need to find photos to see if it lost the more ornate dome later. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A lot of them worked into the Big Four era but like a lot of industrial locos worked in a very specific area. e.g. Henry worked in Avonmouth docks.

I'm not 100% sure when it was withdrawn, it was definitely still in service after 1949 but was gone by the early 1960s.

This photo shows it alongside one of the first HC diesels 'Arthur' which dates it as post-1949.

henry-and-arthur-cr.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I dug out my test piece for my ‘Peckett Paradise’ to see if the B2 would make it round. 
It does on 202mm radius!

anyone fancy doing some industrial radius point kits? ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I dug out my test piece for my ‘Peckett Paradise’ to see if the B2 would make it round. 
It does on 202mm radius!

What's the articulated unit hanging out of the box in the background?

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

What's the articulated unit hanging out of the box in the background?

It’s a £10 toy US Flying Yankee streamliner I’m eventually converting to run with my tinplate HO. Prices vary dramatically as many sell it as an antique toy which the Chinese production certainly isn’t!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

It does on 202mm radius!

Didn't Sam Strains do something similar? :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I wouldn’t have a clue as I don’t watch it, what radius did he get down to? 

I lost the will to live watching it all, but he got a Smokey Joe to go round a 10cm radius. Maybe a W4 Peckett could do the same.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Tim123 said:

I lost the will to live watching it all,

;) 

28 minutes ago, Tim123 said:

but he got a Smokey Joe to go round a 10cm radius. Maybe a W4 Peckett could do the same.

So did he test a B2 as well? 

When I ran the W4’s on my test piece I found the two hooks of the tension lock couplers to be the limiting factor as they caught so I removed one hook on each wagon. It means they have to be the same way round but it also makes uncoupling easier ;) 

I wasn’t expecting them to make it to be honest and was quite amused they did :) 

• Like 1

1426 arrived today.  One of the cab steps had broken off, that was quickly sorted with a drop of plastic solvent cement.  Silky smooth and quiet in reverse, a bit of a growl in the forward direction.  She is on the rolling road, forward operation is quieting down, still just a slight binding in the mechanism.  Surprisingly heavy, she looks the part, and good value in my opinion...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The appeal (to me at least) is that The Earl and Henry are "neutral" names that won't seem out of place whatever the supposed location of any layout they might run on, and neither display overt indication of ownership that would be difficult to remove.

Something like XYZ Colliery No.4 with prominent NCB lettering and warning markings would be rather less "transferrable".

I've chosen Arthur of the options offered on the Rapido Hunslet for the same reason, and because I've ordered that, I was intending to be good and only buy one more Peckett, Henry would "fit" rather well with Arthur but The Earl is blue and that would make for greater variety.....

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My Henry and The Earl both arrived yesterday. Both undamaged, apparently unaffected by the QC issues many have had, and both beautiful runners from the brief test they've had.

The models themselves are both very nicely done. If anything, the colour of The Earl is nicer than how it's appeared in the marketing images, so very happy with that.

I wonder how many Pecketts is too many? I'm up to 10 (5 B2s, 5 W4s), with preorders for three more W4s... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Earl also joined my fleet and apart from the rear lamp bracket being nearly snapped off, solved with a dab of liquid glue and holding back vertical, was in top condition and runs beautifully. 
It is partly dodgy qc but with a couple on here finding the cab steps snapped off, rather than just loose, there does seem to be an issue with the plastic tray clearance too if the box gets a hit in a certain direction. 

95AD36BB-67A7-4533-B6BB-B43E012284A5.jpeg.ac32aa88cbd0442a907eebd7703a4661.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On another note Hornby contacted me with an apology and offer to collect the first model. I’ve thanked them and replied not necessary as it was fixed and only wanted to let them know for the future. I’ve also forwarded Flickr links to the motion bracket fault so hopefully that avoids spam filters!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Has anyone put sound into one of these? I've been looking at it and have come to the conclusion that it can't be done.

Dave, pretty certain Gilbert of the parish has but can't remember where he's posted it. 

Might be worth a PM to him. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Has anyone put sound into one of these? I've been looking at it and have come to the conclusion that it can't be done.

There is an install guide on the youchoose site. Search for Peckett. Not just sound but lights too!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

There is an install guide on the youchoose site. Search for Peckett. Not just sound but lights too!

I have seen that guide. It's not very helpful as it doesn't show where the speaker is fitted and there is no photo of the decoder in position, either. It shows a large chunk of the chassis chopped out that leaves the gears exposed and that's not something that I am prepared to do with a brand new model.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I got one of the Peckett liveried ones recently. Runs sweetly both forwards and backwards although a little hesitant to start going backwards. No QC issues at all, as far as I can tell.

P1002213a.JPG.ab40c4707217d6970bf8282215823da0.JPG

• Like 1

On 21/04/2021 at 18:29, Ruston said:

Oh, er, yes. I have.

Zimo MX648 and a small sugar cube speaker. Both in the smokebox area and in front of the motor. I had to grind out some of the insides of the smokexox, and cut away some of the plastic cylinder block.

I did the fitting but It's not my loco, which is fortunate as the ridiculously deep flanges hit all sorts of bits of ballast that none of my own locos hit, Hornby's W4 Pecketts included.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 21/04/2021 at 18:34, NHY 581 said:

Dave, pretty certain Gilbert of the parish has but can't remember where he's posted it. 

Might be worth a PM to him. 

Rob. 

Digitrains did it for me and also managed to fit in a stay alive...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Digitrains did it for me and also managed to fit in a stay alive...

Phew! 

• Like 1

On 17/04/2021 at 22:36, Garethp8873 said:

The livery of No.1203 THE EARL is based on her livery worn prior to scrapping at Mountain Ash in the 1970's. It was almost certainly delivered in the standard leaf green livery.

As an aside, No.1456 was named "Margôt" prior to leaving Atlas Works and the polished handrails are a work of fiction, these being cast iron on the real thing. I suspect this error has arisen as they were picked out in works grey in the official works photograph, as were the frames. 

Paul A. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1