Hornby - New tooling - Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

A short running session featuring the Hornby Peckett B2 0-6-0ST edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of similar locomotives from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Here we see Peckett B2s No.1426 in NCB Green & No. 1203 'The Earl' in pale blue livery working various trains around Somerdale Colliery. 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A query if I may. 

I am on my second example of  a DCC ready 1426. The first ran okay going forwards but poorly in reverse coming to an abrupt halt as I slowed it down. A check over revealed nothing obvious and despite a fair bit of running in, there was no change in reverse thought things improved in forwards.

I exchanged this example for a second one today. It was the best of two others left in the shop. However, it is pretty much the same in reverse. It will not slow smoothly to a stop, halting abruptly. Again nothing obvious. 

I'm resigned to taking it back.

Has anyone else had similar issues ? 

Model is running on DC via a Gaugemaster Combi.......and yes, my other B2, Westminster is fine as are my W4s. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Has anyone else had similar issues ? 

Model is running on DC via a Gaugemaster Combi.......and yes, my other B2, Westminster is fine as are my W4s. 

My ‘Henry’ had a sticking point that turned out to be the slidebars not actually meeting the motion bracket so the rest of the crosshead was hitting a driving crank pin. I bent the motion bracket to meet the slidebars and it stopped the lateral movement causing the jam. I’d check that. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

My ‘Henry’ had a sticking point that turned out to be the slidebars not actually meeting the motion bracket so the rest of the crosshead was hitting a driving crank pin. I bent the motion bracket to meet the slidebars and it stopped the lateral movement causing the jam. I’d check that. 

Thanks Paul. 

I've checked the slidebars/motion bracket and all seems good. 

One of the drivers had the captive nut for the crankpin pushed through the back of the wheel and I thought at first this was the culprit, perhaps hitting the pick up. The nut was seated correctly but no change. 

The rear screw holding the body was incredibly tight. Too tight and all but impossible to loosen. 

I lifted the motor to check the rolling chassis and it rolled free. 

I can only conclude that it must be the motor. It will run relatively smoothly but not slow to a halt. Just stops. Also sets off quite abruptly when in reverse. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another sound installation, but better than the previous one. Zimo MX648, with the wires shortened as necessary and fitted in the smokebox.

Bertram-002.jpg.0eae4c4b98aaabd0a64590dad7403ea8.jpg

This one has a larger speaker and instead of in the firebox, it is in the bunker.I had to drill a hole in the back of the boiler for the wires, which come out through the firehole doors, across the cab floor and into the bunker hatch. They cannot be seen as they are painted matt black and the fireman's feet hide them quite effectively.

• Like 6

Ordered a Peckett B2 1456 which arrived here yesterday, but sadly, very much broken on arrival.

Whole back of the cab, top of bunker, and cab roof was broken.
There's also a massive crack in the plastic next to the rear cab windows.

This is definitely not a 'fix up with a bit of poly cement' job, so it's going back to the retailer. Didn't even bother trying to run it!

Have asked the retailer to unbox, check and test run the replacement before shipping.

EDIT: Just looked again and noticed there's also a massive vertical crack down the bunker!

IMG_20210626_153833.jpg

IMG_20210626_153848.jpg

Edited by LittleRedTrain
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I am now seeing why all the hype over this model.  Over the weekend I purchased five new B2 locomotives from a retailer in Victoria.  Three were priced at $139.00 and two at $119.00.  Prices on eBay vary from $179.00 in Australia to around $249.00 from the UK.   The first two arrived late this afternoon and I was extremely impressed with the cosmetic and running quality.  What did not impress was how tight the outer decorative sleeve was.  I was basically crushing the end of the inner packaging just to remove the sleeve.  It was the same on both models.   I may not refit the sleeve when I pack up the models.   Hornby have really pulled one out of the box on these beautiful models.

• RMweb Premium
On 28/06/2021 at 08:33, GWR-fan said:

What did not impress was how tight the outer decorative sleeve was.  I was basically crushing the end of the inner packaging just to remove the sleeve.  It was the same on both models.   I may not refit the sleeve when I pack up the models.   Hornby have really pulled one out of the box on these beautiful models.

Just had the same experience with my NCB liveried version 'The Earl', I really struggled to remove the outer 'picture' sleeve from the carton and was contemplating just cutting it away before finally succeeding. I somehow doubt that it will be possible to replace this on the carton and am not even going to try, the box is not that important to me. The transparent plastic inner sleeve was not quite as tight, but still took more physical effort to remove than I was comfortable with.

Thankfully I managed to extract the model without damaging it.

Having said all that, it is an excellent model which runs beautifully, that is the important aspect for me, but I wouldn't look forward to unboxing another if that packaging is standard for these models.

Regards,

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

John,

the sleeve is able to be refitted but then it is just as difficult to remove.  Six B2 and two O1 locomotives purchased last weekend all had issues with tight packaging.   Two of the B2 models the inner transparent sleeve was so tight I was looking for signs of tape or glue preventing me removing it.

• RMweb Premium

GWR-fan,

Don't know why I haven't got the option to 'React' to your post above, but "Thanks" as that is "Informative, Useful" and I "Agree" about the Transparent sleeve.  I know the model is  aimed at the Mature/ Collector end of the market, but I'd hate to think of the difficulties that could be experienced by a 'frail elderly' or 'impatient excited Junior' just trying to get one of these out of the box.

Regards,

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Or even me, an 'Impatient excited frail elderly' customer.

I wonder if the the sleeve shrinks in transit, or perhaps some chemical reaction makes it stick to the inner packing, but it does seem to be an increasing problem.  I find matters can be eased and the sliding off 'started' by sliding an Exacto blade between the inner and the sleeve, and once the slide is started matters become progressively easier.  But getting the blade in there is faffy and fiddly.  If the sleeve is really stuck, you can move the blade to the corner and cut the sleeve off, which will affect the resale value if that sort of thing is important to you; it isn't to me, but you shouldn't have to be as brutal as that to access a new model!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I reported on the pickup issue yesterday with a new B2 Peckett.  It ran fine in the forward direction until I reversed direction.  The loco ran about 2 cm and stopped dead.  An inspection showed a pickup sticking out through the spokes of a rear driving wheel.  I fixed that ensuring all pickups were aligned and continued testing the loco.  A few minutes later I decided to recheck the pickups to see one pickup on the leading axle wound up into a circle.  I was able top rescue it and reshape it.  Further testing was without fault.  The pickups are very fragile. 

• RMweb Premium

GWR-fan,

Another informative and useful post, thanks.

Any idea why the option of 'React'  buttons (Like, etc.) aren't available on your posts ?

Regards,

John

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

I reported on the pickup issue yesterday with a new B2 Peckett.  It ran fine in the forward direction until I reversed direction.  The loco ran about 2 cm and stopped dead.  An inspection showed a pickup sticking out through the spokes of a rear driving wheel.  I fixed that ensuring all pickups were aligned and continued testing the loco.  A few minutes later I decided to recheck the pickups to see one pickup on the leading axle wound up into a circle.  I was able top rescue it and reshape it.  Further testing was without fault.  The pickups are very fragile. 

A shame to say mine have just completely gone hence needing a new plate. Or I'll have to find some way of repairing this one 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Regarding pick-ups, there appears to have been a change on spec regarding the first batch and these latest releases.

I' m not sure of the new part number but this is the old and it does fit the lastest batch. 

Lendons in Cardiff have them in stock. 

Rob. 

20201121_082910.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/06/2021 at 15:54, LittleRedTrain said:

Ordered a Peckett B2 1456 which arrived here yesterday, but sadly, very much broken on arrival.

Replacement arrived here this morning.
First impressions were good, as it didn't arrive as a kit of parts, and all the pickups were in the right place.

However, my optimism evaporated once I put it on the test track, was dead as a dodo!
This was rather disappointing as I'd explicitly asked the retailer to test the replacement before sending out.

After a bit of poking and prodding, it suddenly set off, worked fine for a while, then stopped again.

As I really didn't want to send it back, and I knew that at least it worked in theory, I removed the body to investigate the source of the problem.

As per other posts in this thread, the DCC socket was not on the side of the motor as expected, but wrapped in insulating tape, in the decoder socket. The connectors from the motor/pickups into the socket had been bent over quite sharply.

I don't know exactly what fixed it, but after prodding the wiring, suddenly it all burst back into life and started running sweetly!
Assume it was either a loose connection in the DCC socket, or something shorting that shouldn't be.
Managed to get the body back on and all seems to be working fine (for now at least).

I'll be fitting a decoder at some point, so will have to figure out that challenge when I get to it.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 3 months later...

Here's mine! 

Hopefully representing a scruffy loco eeking out an existence on a ever reducing network surrounded by a growing fleet of diesels in the mid 1970s. 

I do regret not buying one of the works green examples as it'd be better for my own colliery, as even with the removal of the Ryhope Colliery text removed it will be forever associated with that colliery despite not modelling it. Suppose it makes for a better fictional history! 

Work plates are at home (not with me annoyingly) as well as a crew are obvious omissions from the model.

While I'm here is there anything I can do to improve it?

Olly 1994797664_NWIO90861.JPG.33b7b2625f87953140796606fac6c79c.JPG695974198_UYKQ64561.JPG.69e5be7da7bf5e4a9210ec79f0ad65db.JPG

Edited by OliverRowley
  • Like 5