Hornby - New tooling - Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

On 31/10/2019 at 09:13, Sir TophamHatt said:

Are there any other liveries due to be made?

I can see them doing Fonmon at some point as that was the one they measured. Maybe they didn't want to release two cement ones at the same time.

https://ribblesteam.org.uk/exhibits/steam/peckett-0-6-0st-no-1636-1924-fonmon/

Jason

• Like 3

My B4 has appeared at my local model shop and I collected it on Monday - he only had two blue ones and both were pre-reserved.  It is DCC fitted (though I thought I had reserved an unfitted one- not an issue as it saves me a job).

Running straight out of the box is impeccable.  

HOWEVER the whistle is broken off and the bit is not present in the box.  Given that there isn't another one to change it with (at least only a green one I don't want) I will file the remains flush or fill the hole and place a new brass whistle on the cab front.

Having told Hornby's development guy at Warley about the silly plastic whistle on the 0-4-0ST I will make sure that either he or SK gets it in the neck when I spend my two days at Warley this year.  SK remembers me as one of the judges who awarded Hornby the Gwyn Humphreys Trophy a few years back so I should be able to get to talk to him....

IMG_1810.JPG.7d64cff08932cbd3c6ce9b953a361851.JPG

The blue one is the right area for NO PLACE.  I've swapped the couplers for Kadees and it will be weathered before its exhibition debut at Doncaster in February.

Les

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I acquired a B2 - the Sherwood version.  It has some scratch marks around the "nameplate" and I tried to match the base colour "lime green" to no effect.  Can anyone tell me where and what colour green the body of "Sherwood" should be touched up to match the factory finish?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know this is going to sound low tech but does anyone think Hornby will produce any other colours apart from the green and blue (yes, I know there's that strange yellowy colour). 

Can't decide if I should wait or get one from the available pool of locos.

Way out of my era so it's not about a particular livery. Just that most of my steam locos are green so want to get away from that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is an observation only, not a criticism by any means. 

I have one of the MSC W4 Pecketts, and I have it stowed away since day 1. This being one of the later period models, it sports a set of Ross pop safety valves.  So far, so good.  Now, what I want to achieve, is a B2 Peckett in the same shade of green, also sporting Ross pop safety valves. 

I know I can repaint them. But! They look rather nice. Is there a way whereby, I can procure a set of Peckett Ross-pops, to replace a set of Salter valves? 

In industrial days, the site engineer would have the safety valves 'standardised' to satisfy the insurance inspector.  Although this isn't a hard & fast rule, it did happen quite a lot. By 'standardised', I mean the style & make of the valve concerned, not the working pressure. 

Cheers,

Ian.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/12/2019 at 00:29, Edwardian said:

B2 Westminster begins its transformation to a Fox Walker .....

1633908970_IMG_5835-Copy.JPG.7b59af71e39ef4f8d83168cc24670139.JPG

Hi,

I wondered if there had been any more development with this.

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

Hi,

I wondered if there had been any more development with this.

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

It's undercoated! Otherwise no, but it is on my Priority list along with its coaches. 

It needs some mods to the chassis and cylinder casings and on the body a little more finishing and tool box, Salter valves, handrails, lamp irons etc.  So quite a bit to do.  I will post when any further progress is made, but in the meantime, thank you for asking after it.

This is based upon the Great Yarmouth & Stalham Lt Ry, later M&GN, tanks.  Mine will be vac-fitted and run a branch line downgraded to Lt Ry status and running mixed trains. 

Here on the left is the Mark I.  Turbosnail of this parish kindly produced this for me based on the Electrotren chassis (this was before the B2 was even announced), and, as you can see, there were one or two dimensional compromises required.  By agreement, the industrial version of the design went for 'general release' and happily this has now found its way into the Hardy's Hobbies range.

On the right Mark II, designed to fit the Hornby B2 chassis.   

IMG_6941.JPG.88e01c81d7873bb298b5f32e1c659bdf.JPG

529382029_AlertState01-Copy(7)-Copy.jpg.56f9d7bbf449c680d42cabe58cdbc63e.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
Advisory
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

That's a great piece of work; both you and Turbosnail should be proud of your efforts.  It's also very gracious of you to release it to the wider world.

Regards,

Alex.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have had the very devil of a job fitting a decoder into my B2. The red and black wires put in by the factory were short, so there was room to put a plug into the NEM socket but not a decoder as well. Well, I ended up hard-wiring the Hornby R7150 decoder into the model.

Could anyone tell me who made this decoder? It reminds me of some Lenz ones from a few years ago. Or better still of course, any recommended CV values to persuade the decoder to play properly with the Hornby motor? I've got CV29=3, all other CVs are the factory settings.

Edit: the loco has spent two full hours on my rolling road. The mechanism seemed pretty free running on analogue, but this run has eased it even more. I feel, slow running is good, and slightly faster running is good too, but acceleration is a bit abrupt beyond this. To put it another way, the loco can do a trot and a gallop, but struggles to settle on a canter. This is a good model but mid-range control could usefully be a bit more progressive.

Edit2: CVs numbers 5 and 6 seem to have fixed values ... maybe, Hornby have decided we should not be altering CVs beyond setting the address and CV29. I will live with what I have here until I release a suitable decoder from another model, and work up enough enthusiasm to try again. The wired version of the Zimo 617 would probably fit.

Many thanks,
Richard.

551216366_P1020153-Copy.JPG.4112c45e333840b6630fdb50b5aeb6f7.JPG

(I added heat-shrink sleeving later because the brackets holding the decoder are metal)

P1020157a.JPG.86add801a83f4d50e72e11c476aef1fb.JPG

Edited by 47137
As marked.
  • Like 2

I added a Zimo to mine. The wires went down the side (where the manual says the decoder should go) and the decoder wrapped in tape at the front, same as above.

The wires here look really short.

Didn't think to take any photos of mine.

Broke some steps while taking the body off so don't want to do it again.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I do like these Hornby Pecketts, very characterful representations of these quintessentially British locos. 

Me too. I think if we were asked to "draw a saddletank locomotive" most folk would draw a Peckett - I think they are beautiful, as though all of the proportions are just right.

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 47137 said:

Me too. I think if we were asked to "draw a saddletank locomotive" most folk would draw a Peckett - I think they are beautiful, as though all of the proportions are just right.

- Richard.

Oh No, Andrew Barclay, surely!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well it would be the Peckett for me, although I accept if I drew it I might end up with an Avonside.

The Barclay is a fine engine of course, but the slab-sided tanks are a bit too distinctive.

- Richard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, 47137 said:

Well it would be the Peckett for me, although I accept if I drew it I might end up with an Avonside.

The Barclay is a fine engine of course, but the slab-sided tanks are a bit too distinctive.

- Richard.

hehehe

avonside-1919-at-scunthorpe-steelworks-j

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

I can’t help noticing that Peckett seemed to have produced both inside and outside cylinder types, to the end. Since the “ultimate 0-6-0”, the Q1, was an inside cylinder design, what was the design logic here? 

I also note that saddle tanks and outside motion rarely appear together (that said, I find that at least two separate examples survive in preservation...)

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1