Hornby - New tooling - Peckett B2 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

A (slightly) larger industrial is most welcome. I know I've been thinking for a while that an 0-6-0 would be a good addition to the current range. I'm envisioning an industrial set-up with a small Peckett and/or Barclay shunting and one of these new lads collecting the assembled wagons.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Ooooo. Yes please.

Very glad to see more investment spent on smaller locos. I'll be getting an NCB one - along with a Ruston 48DS.

It is new for Hornby to announce a new product so close to the scheduled delivery date? One would hope that the quick turnaround time between announcement and shipping would be beneficial to them. Saves having to wait up to a year+ for what will no doubt be another popular model.

Off to pre-order.

Excellent news! My next dooor neighbour used to drive Westminster at Shipton cement works.

"Westminster" was at Dunstable Cement Works (Blue Circle/APCM) from May 1929 to 5/52 when it was transferred to their works at Shipton-on-Cherwell, Oxon.,. In the IRS book of Bedfordshire there is a nice picture of its sister "Edith" P 1391/15 that worked there as well.  I shall use some poetic licence and use it on my layout of the Blue Circle works at Westbury.

Not one to generally froth, but the B2 is an inspired choice by Hornby, and my slowly evolving "Twll Cach Exchange Sidings" set about 1970 can justify one of the numerous B2s that inhabited NCB installations hereabouts, why Mountain Ash had two, and Brynlliw's 1426 ran into the 70s, with an alleged cameo appearance in "Young Winston" and then made it into preservation.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I will have to get one of these. Can any tell me how much a Peckett B2 differed from a Peckett X, Obviously the X had inside cylinders, but other than that they look very similar to my non expert eyes

thinking 'Lord Salisbury' here.

EDIT Just noticed the splashers above the footplate  on Lord Salisbury, so likely bigger wheels, not just an inside cylinder version of the same thing. I will still get one though.

regards

Neil

When I saw the announcement I was hoping for the inside cylinder version as operated by the Metropolitan Railway (101/102).

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Not one to generally froth, but the B2 is an inspired choice by Hornby, and my slowly evolving "Twll Cach Exchange Sidings" set about 1970 can justify one of the numerous B2s that inhabited NCB installations hereabouts, why Mountain Ash had two, and Brynlliw's 1426 ran into the 70s, with an alleged cameo appearance in "Young Winston" and then made it into preservation.

'Young Winston' was on the telly last week and there was definitely a Peckett in it in a background scene supposedly at a 'South African' colliery so that allegation could well be true.

Crikey - was she there that long ? .......... only seems like yesterday she was at Bitton ! 

Must have been 1996 when Peter Lawne brought her to take to Tunbridge Wells, she arrived at the Spa from Swindon in less that peak condition late 1997, After a busy winter in the shed, she was in traffic from Easter 1998 until 2009, and left for Ribble about 2 or 3 years back. Lovely little engine, still miss her.

post-23679-0-41282000-1546888315.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

'Young Winston' was on the telly last week and there was definitely a Peckett in it in a background scene supposedly at a 'South African' colliery so that allegation could well be true.

The railway scenes were shot in Wales, as was Carry on up the Kyber.

Well this is good news - I've regarded the W4 as a bit twee (Manning Wardles fall into the same bracket for me) so held off. Looks like I'll be holding off on a permanent basis and wondering how to regauge an 0-6-0 to EM instead...

Adam

• Like 1

"Westminster" was at Dunstable Cement Works (Blue Circle/APCM) from May 1929 to 5/52 when it was transferred to their works at Shipton-on-Cherwell, Oxon.,. In the IRS book of Bedfordshire there is a nice picture of its sister "Edith" P 1391/15 that worked there as well.  I shall use some poetic licence and use it on my layout of the Blue Circle works at Westbury.

Post APCM, She finished up on the KESR, never ran there before finally being moved out to Northampton. I might use some poetic license to have running in Kent with some Cemflos...

Different places though, unless they dragged 1466 or the Peckett halfway up the Llanberis Pass. :O 

Private Widdle's gate is still there. :)

The railway scenes in Young Winston were filmed at Morlais Colliery and Longmoor according to IMDB

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069528/locations?ref_=tt_dt_dt

Jason

In the case of "Young Winston" the GWS hired them 1466, and the filming of the Boers attacking the armoured train was shot in the Onllwyn / Coelbren areas.

I have a photo in my collection of a Hymek towing 1466 and a preserved Toad through Cardiff General an-route to the filming location.

After filming was complete, I found 1466 and its Toad in the ground lathe in Canton's carriage shed, on its way back to Didcot.

If Morlais Colliery was used then the Peckett used in the filming would be 2114/1951, which was a B3.

But, 2114/1951 had left Morlais Colliery by November 1969, long before the Young Winston film crew arrived in Wales for the railway shots (summer 1971 when I recorded 1466)

The other railway scenes in Young Winston used what appeared to be a USA tank and a BR Standard 4-6-0.

Brian R

Edited by br2975