Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

Hornby have announced new tooling for the diminutive Ruston & Hornsby 48DS 0-4-0 to be supplied with matching flat wagon for optional additional pick-ups.

48DS 1.JPG

48DS 2.JPG

48DS 3.JPG

48DS 4.JPG

R3704 Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, R&H 48DS, 0-4-0, No. 269595 - Era 4 Due Date: May-19    RRP: £79.99

R3705 John Dewar & Sons, R&H 48DS, 0-4-0, No. 458957 - Era 8 Due Date: May-19    RRP: £79.99

R3706 War Department, R&H 48DS, 0-4-0, 'Army 802' - Era 4/5 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £79.99

R3707 Longmorn Distillery, R&H 48DS, 0-4-0, 'Queen Anne' - Era 7 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £79.99

The project is at an advanced stage with decorated samples shown at Margate in Dec 2018 with anticipated early summer delivery date.

48DSx4.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-111.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-112.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-113.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-114.jpg

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any indication of what DCC interface they are using? I sincerely hope Hornby will drop the proprietary 4-pin connection and go for a 6-pin one for these and their other small locos. I note that they have a 6-pin decoder in the range now.

It's a good job i'm outside the QE Hospital, 'cos my jaw's in urgent need of surgical reattachment...

Amazing - Hornby really appear to be trying to be King of the Industrials (although I'm also surprised the BR one isn't appearing in the first round). Wow.

I was expecting something larger would be next, and probably not from Hornby. If they've got the pick-ups totally backed-up out with the match wagon, it's fingers crossed on the mechanism. Coreless motor maybe?

They did it, the absolute madmen. I didn't quite believe it when I heard. As a fan of tiny locos and industrials, I will of course be getting one. I reckon it'll be a big seller, due to being the ultimate micro-layout loco, having a strong "cute" factor and complementing other industrial releases.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I trust DS1169 will follow one day ........

Not until I've built the kit I have, thank you very much!

Brilliant news otherwise.

Gordon - I'm sure we'll find a way to make one axle rock. I won't want to use mine with a match wagon if I can help it.

• Like 2

With this and the Peckett B4 there might be a few more industrial based shunting plank layouts in the pipeline.

All we need now are a few Manning Wardle tank locos from say another manufacturer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope it unplugs at the loco end too as I have electrofrog points and don’t really want to just chop it off.

Lovely selection though, how do you choose!!!!!

I guess they are hoping you won't choose and will have all 4 !!!

• Administrators

I hope so too.  It's good to see that Hornby are doing both varieties of cab.  Shame it's only recently that I acquired a kit which I was going to build as DS1169 - I shan't be doing this now!

Chris KT

I've also built a kit of this one. And then re-built it. Still tempted though!

• Like 1