Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Didn't foresee...

Don't need....

Must have!

A prototype question, if I may. What sort of haulage capacity would a real one have? I'm not expecting (or wanting too much), but with several private siding ideas churning around my mind at the moment I don't want to do something with too much traffic for such a small shunter. I can use my Sentinels for "busy" layouts, this needs, not a restful life, but less intensive plan. Or am I wrong?

• Like 2

Didn't foresee...

Don't need....

Must have!

A prototype question, if I may. What sort of haulage capacity would a real one have? I'm not expecting (or wanting too much), but with several private siding ideas churning around my mind at the moment I don't want to do something with too much traffic for such a small shunter. I can use my Sentinels for "busy" layouts, this needs, not a restful life, but less intensive plan. Or am I wrong?

It can probably manage a conflat ( without container ) ........ but make sure the pickups aren't dragging !

Didn't foresee...

Don't need....

Must have!

Haulage capacities at the bottom. (click on pic for full size)

post-494-0-29090000-1546866705_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

I note that two of them are liveried for Scottish distillers. I wonder if Hornby made note of the number of Scottish-based layouts that include a distillery, or if they had an eye on complementing their J36...

Funny, the last time we had a ready-to-run Ruston diesel shunter, it was the Trix example, which also came with a shunter's truck. I guess it's a tradition.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Didn't foresee...

Don't need....

Must have!

"Churning" may be appropriate, UD at Chard Junction used to shunt loaded milk tanks around with their 48DS. Up to four or five at a time IIRC.

John

• Like 2

Delighted to see this as i preserved  a real one from Croppers Paper Mill and Tramway at Burneside in Westmorland. Happily its still around earning a living.  With Windermere station now with all the track in and working  and well underway the temptation to add Burneside station next will be very great. 

https://www.facebook.com/Windermere.Hincaster.Junction.a.00.Model.Railway/

• Like 3

From the pictures it looks like the plug is also at the front

Having a quick look a the pictures, the front 'plug' looks more likely to be a cutout for the NEM coupling to me. From the pictures, it looks to me like the wire for the wagon pickups might actually enter the chassis in the middle and the wire is long enough to reach the wagon at either end of the loco, perhaps with a cutout on the bottom of the chassis to route the wire unobtrusively.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you!

I'm off to pre-order the open cab 'ARMY' version with the intension of having it resprayed. Would be nice to see what the haulage and performance of it is like, especially without the 'pickup' wagon.

• Like 2

Having a quick look a the pictures, the front 'plug' looks more likely to be a cutout for the NEM coupling to me. From the pictures, it looks to me like the wire for the wagon pickups might actually enter the chassis in the middle and the wire is long enough to reach the wagon at either end of the loco, perhaps with a cutout on the bottom of the chassis to route the wire unobtrusively.

Ahh okay

I see what you mean now. 

Would make an interesting project 

• Like 1

I wonder if they've thought of doing the same with the Caley Pug? Would be prototypical (with a coal load)

I think the idea of a "pickup wagon" is one that could usefully be extended to other small locos as a potential standalone product. The GWR shunters wagon would be an obvious candidate - maybe it's time for Hornby to re-tool their own version of that. And, as you say, a coal wagon or other generic flatbed wagon would be equally suitable.

It would, of course, require appropriate locos to be fitted with a "pickup socket" that the wagon can plug into. But, just as DCC sockets and NEM pockets are now standard, there's no reason why that can't be rolled out gradually with every new release. And it would probably be a relatively simple after-market conversion to add one in most cases.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Please think about this one in 2020...

Express Dairy in Morden was by all accounts a landmark.

A set with a few of Oxfords apprpriate road vehicles would be nice.

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/Miscellaneous/Industrial-railways-South/i-bxnt45L

As of course would be a milk tank wagon.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6

Please think about this one in 2020...

Express Dairy in Morden was by all accounts a landmark.

A set with a few of Oxfords apprpriate road vehicles would be nice.

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/Miscellaneous/Industrial-railways-South/i-bxnt45L

As of course would be a milk tank wagon.

That's a fantastic photo, thanks for posting the link.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

I think the idea of a "pickup wagon" is one that could usefully be extended to other small locos as a potential standalone product. The GWR shunters wagon would be an obvious candidate - maybe it's time for Hornby to re-tool their own version of that. And, as you say, a coal wagon or other generic flatbed wagon would be equally suitable.

It would, of course, require appropriate locos to be fitted with a "pickup socket" that the wagon can plug into. But, just as DCC sockets and NEM pockets are now standard, there's no reason why that can't be rolled out gradually with every new release. And it would probably be a relatively simple after-market conversion to add one in most cases.

They already use something very like it to feed between locos and the DCC socket mounted in their tenders.

John

• RMweb Gold

Whose going to take a stab at getting sound in that?

I've seen the American equivalent of a Wickham trolley in N (no match truck) with DCC sound using a mobile phone speaker so it should be a doddle if one is that way inclined....

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1