Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I like your thinking.

Another use for the plug or socket could be for a electrical input to use when cleaning wheels on the locomotive

And of course could be either Analogue or DCC to suit

I think I should patent that idea

Eltel

Please explain what Billerban since the 1950’s means

Your idea to 'patent', which I know was tongue in cheek ;) of a socket to plug in to power the loco. Billerbahn had it on their locos for battery power in the 50's and LGB used it extensively in the 80's to power auxiliaries and could be used to supply battery power :)  That was all, hence the Jester.

I wonder who will be the first to use it to supply RC to the loco?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Your idea to 'patent', which I know was tongue in cheek ;) of a socket to plug in to power the loco. Billerbahn had it on their locos for battery power in the 50's and LGB used it extensively in the 80's to power auxiliaries and could be used to supply battery power :)  That was all, hence the Jester.

I wonder who will be the first to use it to supply RC to the loco?

Many thanks

• Like 1

So in terms of running quality, the way the real thing works is you drop the gear lever into slow, medium or fast after selecting direction. This is then sped up/slowed down with the throttle lever, like with a car throttle. At least on the one I've worked with, these levers are fairly stiff and awkward to manhandle, and would generally always "jerk" into gear. Brakes are simply a mechanical handbrake in the cab. For shunting the "slow" speed is less than walking pace, in terms of top speed I would say that about 10mph is a generous prototypical pace (less with wagons; 12 ton box vans don't exactly help with visibility). Don't forget this is a rugged bit of industrial machinery, if you're careful you can give it a smooth start but 9/10 it's going to be springing into movement. Just something worth considering over the next 5 months....

• Like 5

Don't forget this is a rugged bit of industrial machinery, if you're careful you can give it a smooth start but 9/10 it's going to be springing into movement. Just something worth considering over the next 5 months....

Maybe it's an ESU chip I should be considering then.    :smile_mini2:

• RMweb Gold

Very nice thanks! We're they painted EP's? They look like the finished product to me!?

To be honest, it wasn't a question eeither asked or answered, however they looked pretty finished to me so personally I would say that's what they are! :) They're really good little models, nice and weighty. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Reading the prototype data it says that they were available in all gauges from 2' 6" to 5' 6". Who's going to be first to put an N gauge mechanism under one? As for the original 00 gauge chassis, I can see a few uses for that as well.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1

Some close-up shots from our trip to Hornby HQ yesterday:

45772034885_70689c2e37_c.jpg

Army R&H by Derails Models, on Flickr

45772035745_b6748d7971_c.jpg

R&H JDC by Derails Models, on Flickr

I don't think that they are the finished models. There's no detail of the mesh over the radiator aperture on the green one at all. That on the red one looks like a printed thing, rather than a proper 3D representation. After the great quality of the Peckett I can't see Hornby leaving something like that off the finished item. I would also hope that the finished items have axles that aren't flush with the wheels. Either longer axles or deeper axleboxes are needed so that it looks as if the axles are carried in the axleboxes. If the finished models axles are like in the photo It'll be easy enough to sort the gap at home with some plasticard and plastic rod.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 1

A look at the pictures at the beginning of this thread has to be the best argument for an alternative to tension lock couplers. Imagine the T/L on both ends of the Ruston and you’ll see what I mean.

Cheers,

David

A look at the pictures at the beginning of this thread has to be the best argument for an alternative to tension lock couplers. Imagine the T/L on both ends of the Ruston and you’ll see what I mean.

Cheers,

David

Looking at the size of the thing I think we'll even struggle fitting a sprung Smiths or Slaters three link on it.

I wonder how strong the coupling hook is. It might be sufficient for pulling a couple of wagons.

BTW if anyone is after Ruston etched plates for the front. Narrow Plant do them.

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/custom-etched-products/products/npp-247

Jason

Guest teacupteacup

Cheers,

David

I'll be fitting Kadee's to mine, hopefully a bit less obtrusive than tension locks!   Possibly only one end though

Edited by teacupteacup

• RMweb Premium

Cheers,

David

Mine is going to have the match wagon permanently close coupled. I might also replace the conflat with something a bit smaller.

Very nice thanks! Were they painted EP's? They look like the finished product to me!?

The photos on page 1 (from the December press event) say they are decorated samples.  I would take that to mean they are close to the finished thing as they have been supplied by the factory for approval of the painting / printing but that any final little details may not be attached as it is more making sure the artwork has transferred to the model correctly.  The other option is that they are samples that have been hand painted by Hornby here in the UK, but usually that is made clear given that the finish often isn't as good/accurate and the artwork / lining on the Queen Anne version appears to be very good.

As to possible missing details, perhaps email Hornby if concerned but at least some of the models announced seem to be a step back from the high detail that Hornby has been doing in the past as they work to meet price points.

• Like 1

The Hornby Collectors Magazine references this having space for a "6 pin Nano" decoder, as the 6 pin decoder Hornby are producing a 6 pin cable to a decoder on a pcb I take it that the Nano refers a DCC Concepts decoder i.e 6 pins directly on the decoder and it must be the first Hornby have made something deliberately requiring, if necessary, the use of a third party product. Given the space required for a 6 pin I cannot help but wonder why a Next 18 socket has not been used other than that being too much of an advance by Hornby as such would allow for further weight. 

• Like 1