Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

Just saw that doc for the first time, if I am reading it correct one of these can pull 4 mk1’s on a level ?

My next question is can it stop them ?

With appropriate handling yes, as the locomotive has a brake fitted acting on all wheels.

This is subject to all the usual 'care and attention' provisos when reliant on the locomotive brake alone, and the locomotive's maximum available brake force is very limited due to small locomotive weight on braked wheels, just 7.5T. Not a lot of brake force relative to that total mass of loco + 4 Mk1, circa 160T. (Intelligence would suggest that if a guard's handbrake was present on one of the coaches someone might be assigned to operate that.)

What it would come to if the stopping was by loco alone is first allowing as much stopping distance on level track as was required for the loco to have grafted up to whatever (modest) maximum speed had been achieved before braking commenced, and then likely double it or more based on local experience of bad rail profiles, wet or greasy rail surfaces, slight gradients that might be present, gale force wind blowing in the movement direction... Cautiously does it in short with a big load on to avoid flatting the loco wheels, ramming the stops or other stock, or simply running part of the train off an unprotected rail end into the dirt.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Its a pity that Hornby chose to use a standard wagon as a match truck. I intend to build my own using a coach bogie based on the ones used by London Transport with their Sentinel diesels.

It should be an easy job to remove it AFAIK its plugged in to the Sentinel. I intend of changing mine for a Bachmann or Hornby shunters truck instead. Should be a relatively easy job to add some extra pickups to the wagon and plumb them into the wiring harness.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:46, johnd said:

What will be interesting is which decoder to use for DCC operation. Hatton's list the Guagemaster 6 pind direct yet Hornby are intro ducing a 6 pin on a harness.

Hopefully the socket will be located to allow either - 6 pins are usually directly fitted but with Hornby going down the harness route, no doubt so to use their very basic (normally 8pin) decoder the socket could be located too tight to use a direct decoder

1 hour ago, peteskitchen said:

It should be an easy job to remove it AFAIK its plugged in to the Sentinel. I intend of changing mine for a Bachmann or Hornby shunters truck instead.

Not sure a Shunters Truck would be any more appropriate

• Agree 2

Might I humbly suggest that the best route to go without overtaxing the tractive effort of the Ruston would be to make sure it had all four wheels picking up current and providing traction?  Might I further suggest that an appropriate model to follow would be that of the Model Rail Sentinel which had just enough play in the axles to keep all wheels down on track and pull well above its weight? 

Disclaimer, my layout has no ‘insulfrog’ or similar points, turnouts, crossings or whatever.

cheers,

David

• Like 2

21 hours ago, peteskitchen said:

... Should be a relatively easy job to add some extra pickups to the wagon and plumb them into the wiring harness.

Providing of course that you can get hold of the appropriate male or female connector.  Anybody know what Hornby are using for this?

Edited by spikey
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2019 at 22:06, davknigh said:

Might I humbly suggest that the best route to go without overtaxing the tractive effort of the Ruston would be to make sure it had all four wheels picking up current and providing traction?  Might I further suggest that an appropriate model to follow would be that of the Model Rail Sentinel which had just enough play in the axles to keep all wheels down on track and pull well above its weight? 

Disclaimer, my layout has no ‘insulfrog’ or similar points, turnouts, crossings or whatever.

cheers,

David

Though this is undoubtedly true, I suspect Hornby would like this loco to work on their own insulfrog points and it should be noted that the dead frogs on their express points and curved points are actually longer than the wheelbase of the Ruston so without the truck it would stall every time  (the dead frogs are also longer than the Peckett’s wheelbase, but that’s a different story!)

• Like 2

Has anybody at this point in time managed to find out suitable decoders to use with this model.

I notice it is a 6pin socket,  but is the new Hornby 6pin decoder suitable or is there an alternative.

Others must be think this has anybody any idea?

Hornby ?

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, johnd said:

Has anybody at this point in time managed to find out suitable decoders to use with this model.

I notice it is a 6pin socket,  but is the new Hornby 6pin decoder suitable or is there an alternative.

Others must be think this has anybody any idea?

Hornby ?

You will need to use a micro, or nano, type 6-pin decoder. The new Hornby 6-pin harness decoder will not fit.

Hope that helps?

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/02/2019 at 16:48, NickC said:

Though this is undoubtedly true, I suspect Hornby would like this loco to work on their own insulfrog points and it should be noted that the dead frogs on their express points and curved points are actually longer than the wheelbase of the Ruston so without the truck it would stall every time  (the dead frogs are also longer than the Peckett’s wheelbase, but that’s a different story!)

I have no doubt they would like it to work on their insulfrog points but it has to be remember how small this loco actually is. It really is tiny, next to 12t van for instance it is dwarfed, so I think the practicalities of ensuring this might be quite difficult. 

Pleased to read this little beauty should arrive in the summer. Great news :good_mini:

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I keep forgetting how small the 48DS was in real life. It looks virtually as though they just stretched a narrow-gauge design up to fit on standard gauge track!

Why is it that all these lovely industrials come out about 10 years after I committed so much towards 7mm scale? (I basically run industrials in 7mm!) I suppose the reality will dawn on me once I get the 4mm models and realise that I didn't have glasses when I last worked in that scale!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

If anyone wants a challenge they should try replicating the one used on the construction of the elevated track for the experimental hover-train at Earith. This was fitted with rubber tyred wheels and metal out-riders to run along the top of the concrete beams.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hartleymartin said:

I keep forgetting how small the 48DS was in real life. It looks virtually as though they just stretched a narrow-gauge design up to fit on standard gauge track!

Why is it that all these lovely industrials come out about 10 years after I committed so much towards 7mm scale? (I basically run industrials in 7mm!) I suppose the reality will dawn on me once I get the 4mm models and realise that I didn't have glasses when I last worked in that scale!

If I recall correctly, they were provided in all gauges from 3' or meter gauge all the way up to broad gauge for the export market. They really are tiny though!

There has been such a boom in RTR industrials in the last few years which is only a good thing as it is where my main interest lies! I too threw my lot in with 0 gauge a few years ago but I'm sure it will be hard to resist temptation when this little guy is released! Although remember we have the LLCo one in 7mm scale due out in the near future too! :good_mini:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

If I recall correctly, they were provided in all gauges from 3' or meter gauge all the way up to broad gauge for the export market. They really are tiny though!

There has been such a boom in RTR industrials in the last few years which is only a good thing as it is where my main interest lies! I too threw my lot in with 0 gauge a few years ago but I'm sure it will be hard to resist temptation when this little guy is released! Although remember we have the LLCo one in 7mm scale due out in the near future too! :good_mini:

Pedant alert!  metre!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Already discussed. Although it might be in the other thread in the Industrial section.

Can't find it now. No idea where it was as it's not in the Ruston Rivet Counters thread. :dontknow:

Jason

Just to flag it up again for anyone hasn't found it, here is Ruston's absolutely priceless thread about the 48ds. Fantastic stuff.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I was mainly trying to find the hover train version. I think there was a thread on it somewhere.

Jason

Just a thought but did it possibly appear in the Little Loco Co 7mm scale thread? 

• Like 1