Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Could someone tell me if possible what the overall height from track to cab roof is of one of these please?

I have got my mind on a boxfile like project and this might fit in rather nicely.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2

Guest teacupteacup
On 27/03/2019 at 13:40, John M Upton said:

Could someone tell me if possible what the overall height from track to cab roof is of one of these please?

I have got my mind on a boxfile like project and this might fit in rather nicely.

It should be less than 40mm as the real locos' are under 10ft I believe, 9ft 9in rings a bell

A google search should help

Guest teacupteacup
Just now, Porcy Mane said:

10' 1¼" rail head to cab apex according to published drawings.

P

Near enough!  

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, JohnR said:

Just had an email through from Hattons stating that R3705 is now expected in August.

So did I yesterday.  What interests me most is Hornby say it is DCC ready but havn't a suitable decoder  in there range saying that one will be available but don't know when ! Am I missing something about this release as it does not make sense to release a model say its ready to  operate with a system but not have a vital part available for it to work withy the said up system.  Lack of joined up thinking comes to mind. 

Presumably other supplier’s small 6pin decoders will fit though...

after all how many of us buy Hornby decoders anyway (except for TTS which I can’t imagine will be made for the  Ruston)

Edited by NickC
  • Like 1

Hornby R7150 is a 6 pin version of their standard 8 pin decoder. Green and blue wires omitted. Had been released and still in stock (according to some retailers who have real time stock levels in their web stores). 

Looking at the pictures of Hornby's decoders it appears that the standard 8 pin R8249 forms the basis of R7150 (only 6 pins are wired to the board) and X9659 (4 pins wired). Maybe the TTS decoder will be offered with 6 pins wired for the likes iof the Terrier etc?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NickC said:

Presumably other supplier’s small 6pin decoders will fit though...

after all how many of us buy Hornby decoders anyway (except for TTS which I can’t imagine will be made for the  Ruston)

Hopefully it might be a direct fit which means the Gaugemaster DCC23 may fit, if it needs a lead then ?

Edited by johnd

3 minutes ago, Amand said:

Hornby R7150 is a 6 pin version of their standard 8 pin decoder. Green and blue wires omitted. Had been released and still in stock (according to some retailers who have real time stock levels in their web stores). 

Looking at the pictures of Hornby's decoders it appears that the standard 8 pin R8249 forms the basis of R7150 (only 6 pins are wired to the board) and X9659 (4 pins wired). Maybe the TTS decoder will be offered with 6 pins wired for the likes iof the Terrier etc?

Space is the problem with standard Hornby decoders and the R&H just doesn't have any. One possibility would be to use the attached wagon and hide the decoder under a tarpaulin. Just a thought.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, johnd said:

Hopefully it might be a direct fit which means the Gaugemaster DCC23 may fit, if it needs a lead then ?

All been covered before. If the Ruston is delivered with a standard NEM 651 six pin connector the CT DCX77Z should fit no problem and it gives excellent controllability if the pickups are up to scratch.

1809789142_CTDCX77Z-04-Sm.jpg.cd1594ea8512755377561e45a781c24e.jpg

Usual disclaimer.

P

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

All been covered before. If the Ruston is delivered with a standard NEM 651 six pin connector the CT DCX77Z should fit no problem and it gives excellent controllability if the pickups are up to scratch.

1809789142_CTDCX77Z-04-Sm.jpg.cd1594ea8512755377561e45a781c24e.jpg

Usual disclaimer.

P

THX

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are working on a set of plates to convert the R3706 War Department livery R&H 48DS in to the DS1169

which worked at Folkestone from Dec 11th 1948 till Autumn 1959

& Broad Clyst sleeper depot in Devon till around 1962

& Yeovil till withdrawal in 1971

• Informative/Useful 4

14 hours ago, 247 Developments said:

We are working on a set of plates to convert the R3706 War Department livery R&H 48DS in to the DS1169

which worked at Folkestone from Dec 11th 1948 till Autumn 1959

& Broad Clyst sleeper depot in Devon till around 1962

& Yeovil till withdrawal in 1971

There was a discussion on "Correct SR livery for DS1169 - the Ruston Hornsby 48DS" on the RM Modelling Website back in 2016 which may be of interest to Readers who are going to take up the newe 247 Developments plans.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, GeoffBird said:

There was a discussion on "Correct SR livery for DS1169 - the Ruston Hornsby 48DS" on the RM Modelling Website back in 2016 which may be of interest to Readers who are going to take up the newe 247 Developments plans.

were working from a Colour photo

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone removed the runner wagon from their 48DS yet? There's nothing in the instruction leaflet about it and the bar coming out of the back of the loco seems very rigid, as if it is part of the chassis and can't just be pulled out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Has anyone removed the runner wagon from their 48DS yet? There's nothing in the instruction leaflet about it and the bar coming out of the back of the loco seems very rigid, as if it is part of the chassis and can't just be pulled out.

It is very rigid, if you're gentle but quite firm with it will come out. :) Hope that helps

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks for that. I removed it and it runs just as well over my rough tracklaying and points as it did with it. Not that I had any doubts.

Works photo, before the fitting of 3-links and, perhaps, a spot of light weathering begins.

48DS-Hornby-001.jpg.8ebfc09e4e7c0d5df3b9a82b90a5ac92.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

A video review of the Hornby R3704 Ruston 48DS 0-4-0 diesel shunter.

Well, I am amazed, such a tiny loco with a big heart, its smaller than its attached match truck which serves to increase current pickup due to the locos small wheel base.

The truck can be detached, but the loco may then struggle over dead frog points and crossings.

The truck can be attached at the front or back of the loco and there are supplied blanking plates to fit over the NEM pocket if you wish.

The video shows my very first run with the loco, it got better as it went on, yes there were a few stutters on the points but then the track was not 100% clean!

Overall amazed, and a further order has been placed for the red one :)

Edited by mikesndbs
  • Like 12

A short running session featuring the eagerly anticipated Hornby Ruston 48DS and Match Wagon.
The all new Hornby Ruston & Hornsby 48DS is the latest and smallest addition to the growing RTR Industrial Fleet from Hornby. Unlike other models released so far, the Ruston includes a special Match Truck, which incorporates extra pick-ups for smoother running through point work or on dirty track. The locomotive is connected to the wagon via a special draw-bar and wire, and can be operated both with and with-out the wagon. 
The models features a heavy diecast construction, fine hand rails and pipework and a crisp livery application, on both the locomotive and wagon. 
In this video, we take a look at R3704 Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, R&H 48DS, 0-4-0, No. 269595, running both with and with-out it's match truck. As can be seen the model makes no hesitation over isolated point work, even at slow speeds.  
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, SDJR7F88 said:

short running session featuring the eagerly anticipated Hornby Ruston 48DS and Match Wagon.
The all new Hornby Ruston & Hornsby 48DS is the latest and smallest addition to the growing RTR Industrial Fleet from Hornby. Unlike other models released so far, the Ruston includes a special Match Truck, which incorporates extra pick-ups for smoother running through point work or on dirty track. The locomotive is connected to the wagon via a special draw-bar and wire, and can be operated both with and with-out the wagon. 
The models features a heavy diecast construction, fine hand rails and pipework and a crisp livery application, on both the locomotive and wagon. 
In this video, we take a look at R3704 Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, R&H 48DS, 0-4-0, No. 269595, running both with and with-out it's match truck. As can be seen the model makes no hesitation over isolated point work, even at slow speeds.  
Hope you enjoy!

Callum, if you don’t mind my saying so, you’ve done an outstanding job of showing off the loco’s capability. Tremendous slow control and very smooth. All I could spot were the wheels of the match truck seizing now and again. A bit of weight should sort that out. Hornby seems to have produced another winner.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1