Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

19 hours ago, jrb said:

The truck is another matter; it's quite basic in terms of detail. I think it's quite an old moulding (it doesn't have NEM pockets, but older-style couplings) and the pick-ups are pretty basic too (more on those later). It's also far too light to achieve decent pick-up.

JRB

Funny how the conflat is now seen as dated. Probably the best and most detailed RTR wagon available when it first came out.

Jason

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Would anyone know if this decoder would fit? 

https://www.digitrains.co.uk/shop-by-brand/zimo/mx649n.html

By the sounds of what people are saying about normal DCC chips I can guess its a no. Is there another sound decoder that would fit?

No, that will be too long to simply plug-in, it will foul on the 'ledge' that connects the plastic bonnet to the metal cab. It would probably fit if you removed the plug and socket, and hard-wired it.

JRB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Would anyone know if this decoder would fit? 

https://www.digitrains.co.uk/shop-by-brand/zimo/mx649n.html

By the sounds of what people are saying about normal DCC chips I can guess its a no. Is there another sound decoder that would fit?

Check the length, it is possibly to long.  Charlie (Legomanbiffo Team)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, meatloaf said:

yes sorry that the one. if I can squeeze one in an n gauge pannier it should fit in the ruston easy enough

I will report back tomorrow. I now have the loco and the Gaugemaster decoder. 
Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I had thought that but I was getting the WD example. Suppose it could be un_westernised with a coat of paint and I'm sure a speaker would fit in/under the toolbox. Wonder if the pickups would be transferable to a different wagon as well

The WD had some very small vans, similar in size to the GWR shunters trucks.

• RMweb Gold

As promised.

Ruston with body removed, blanking plate removed, Gaugemaster DCC23 inserted.

0188F31D-7074-4611-AF01-28D2D03CD686.jpeg.7ed09d292083154ed0eedef05fa72f20.jpeg

I unwound the tape from the socket after removing the blanking piece. Some I put on top of the motor and some inside the bonnet top (just in case). If I were less idle I would have looked for my supply of  Kapton tape.  
I checked everything was ok and reprogrammed the decoder from 3 to my chosen number. 
I positioned the decoder on top of the motor and reattached the body. A sensible person would have taken this opportunity to somehow insert a driver.

Hope this helps.

Tony

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I always find that painting the wheels helps massively with improving the look. I did it on most of my Hornby coaches recently and it made a big difference. Why they can't paint the wheels is a mystery. 

Cost? You've got to pay someone to do it. Would you want to sit there painting thousands of wheels a day? I wouldn't.

People who don't want painted wheels? Do we really want paint in places where it could become a problem with pick up?

Plenty of valid reasons. If it bugs anyone then surely they could paint it themselves and generally do a better job.

Jason

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, spikey said:

Is it glued, or simply a push fit?

I added a driver the same way by removing the roof,  it is only lightly glued and came off quite easily, so I fitted a driver and light tack glued the roof back on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 30/09/2019 at 12:04, Howl03 said:

Couldn't resist. Excellent little loco. runs really well. looking forward to weathering it. Here it is on Howls Bay.

Regards Paul.

Lovely. It looks completely at home on a harbour layout. It’s dwarfed by the huge Hornby tension locks – the three-link are a great improvement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well my factory finally has its own Ruston to shunt its extensive network of sidings, so I now need to consider the refuelling arrangements for it.  How much diesel might a Ruston use in a busy day's shunting and what sort of provison was usually made for refuelling?  (Period is early 1960s)

• Like 2