Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 25901 said:

To answer my own question, the shortest nuclear flask train in the UK at Chapelcross

1674A5BC-A999-4EA5-8609-133785D88B61.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

5ft. 4in gauge. There's another photo here (edited to say the photo is in the thread, linked  below, not the photo that is showing below).

Some more liveries there. Another livery for Hornby to consider would be Express Dairies who had one in a creamery in the west country IIRC. It was in navy blue with Express Dairies in white on the cab back. There was a photo on Facebook of it shunting milk tankers but I now cant find it. 

2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Some more liveries there. Another livery for Hornby to consider would be Express Dairies who had one in a creamery in the west country IIRC. It was in navy blue with Express Dairies in white on the cab back. There was a photo on Facebook of it shunting milk tankers but I now cant find it. 

Here you go

https://www.google.com/search?q=Express+Dairies+ruston&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB765GB765&hl=en-GB&prmd=insv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMl76yyf7kAhUJzhoKHUouBrgQ_AUoAXoECA0QAQ&biw=1024&bih=659#imgrc=eH6raB6le1y37M

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, 25901 said:

This is at Morden.

Hornby is very definitely aware of this livery... ive made it known several times !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

18 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Not so sure about the truck. Would an unfitted ancient van body look better?

How about a battered 5 or 3 plank wagon with some junk, tools or a few oil drums in it?

Just a thought :)

Steve.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

That was Chard Juncion, I believe. And of course, not forgetting the shunter at the Broadclyst pw depot  - DS69. 

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, JohnR said:

That was Chard Juncion, I believe. And of course, not forgetting the shunter at the Broadclyst pw depot  - DS69. 

No definitely Morden that picture.

heres the place in the 1970’s..

Milk to Morden

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

No definitely Morden that picture.

heres the place in the 1970’s..

Milk to Morden

I wasnt aware of Morden (which maybe what the OP was referring to) - but I'm sure Chard Jct ALSO had a Ruston for shunting! They got everywhere.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, sb67 said:

How about a battered 5 or 3 plank wagon with some junk, tools or a few oil drums in it?

Just a thought :)

Steve.

Including the hand pump for refueling, plus a few other things to keep the locomotive running such as tools, lubricants and maybe even a bucket of sand (for slippery rails.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

This may make things a little clearer regarding P4 clearances.

P

So is it tight but just doable, too tight interference fit requiring shaving, time to ask Ultrascale for a P4f set as they did for the Sentinel? Someone has already suggested 2mm Society tyres (luckily I'm a member) and from the ones I've already got the flange profile is near as dammit, just a slimmer width, which sort of brings it round to P4f!

Very much appreciate your taking the time to examine this.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, decauville1126 said:

time to ask Ultrascale for a P4f set as they did for the Sentinel?

I used the Branchline wheels on my somewhat agricultural Sentinel 12mm & 14mm rod drive P4 conversions. Bit quicker than waiting on the very busy Mr Ultrascale.

6 minutes ago, decauville1126 said:

Someone has already suggested 2mm Society tyres

Probably me. The 2mm tyres are only 1.4mm wide but that should be ok. I'll convert using the Branchlines wheels first as some one is bound to moan about needing and using a  lathe.

P

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, pete55 said:

and the pickups just bend out enough to contact the wheel rear faces.

Go careful with them pick ups Pete. They're Brittle as heck.

Can you still get KM 10.5 mm wheels?  I'm rather glad I've got a stash of 12mm jobbies for my DMU's.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Go careful with them pick ups Pete. They're Brittle as heck.

Can you still get KM 10.5 mm wheels?  I'm rather glad I've got a stash of 12mm jobbies for my DMU's.

Always pays to be careful with Hornby pickups when tweaking them out for the wider gauge.

Yes, can still get KM 10.5 mm from EMGS stores......what do you think my ore hoppers ride on?

• Like 1

On 03/10/2019 at 19:59, Porcy Mane said:

This may make things a little clearer regarding P4 clearances.

1709705425_48DS-Hornby-011013-EditSm.jpg.ddf9f28dba62ccc864868fc3a0efb8e5.jpg

P

Anyone please tell me the wheelbase of these and the height of the motor inside the body. Lookig at the possibility of using it to power something else. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/10/2019 at 14:35, Hroth said:

the Ruston can lug wagons about...)

Which makes it almost more use than the prototype, at least according to the signalman at St Helier, supervising box for the Morden South dairy. On the day their Ruston had broken down, and he was asking if a light loco could be sent down from Wimbledon to do a shunt, he assured me that even on a good day the Ruston "wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding." I think we got an EDL to keep the pintas coming. 

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, lippy said:

Anyone please tell me the wheelbase of these and the height of the motor inside the body. Lookig at the possibility of using it to power something else. 

Motor & G'box combo sits approx 12 mm above the running plate. (Loads of space between the top of the motor and the bonnet top to stick in a sound decoder) W'base is 22mm 5'-6".

Uses the standard Chinese N20 motor. Same as the 0-4-0 Peckett etc.

One of the Rowntree Rustons?????

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Mine has arrived. Very nice.

Would love to see a photo of it next to the triang dock shunter and the W4 next to Polly or Nellie to show how far things have come in my model railway lifetime!!

Pete

Edited by moonlight
Typo
  • Like 2

Got mine yesterday at the Fareham exhibition, (very good by the way) and a quick test proved it to run with and without the wagon, though Peco insulfrog pointwork splendidly. It comes with a pair of couplings that fit in the small pockets. I haven't had time to fit those yet as I'm about to drive to Perthshire tonight. No time for playing trains, but I can wait a few days. I will do some field work at the Aberfeldy Distillery with a view to use it as basis for a small layout .

Lots of ideas to explore!! And before you say that the Dewers Ruston would be more suitable, that one didn't reside at Aberfeldy. Their Andrew Barclay is light green and its still there ( also on my list to buy), so my Ruston needs to be

green.

Tod

• Like 1