Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wheres_Wally said:

How much would leaving the wagon out reduce the price? I bet it would be around a fiver. Then watch the "Why didn't Hornby put the wagon in with the loco" comments.

I suspect selling it individually just wouldn’t be viable as it probably would cost something like £15 due to extra packaging and shipping and the only thing it goes with is the Ruston. 

I also reckon the Ruston would still sell at the same price without it and seem decent value ;) 

All in all this is the easiest way to offer it and just count it as a freebie :) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

In all the pages on this subject, apart from DCC and analogue control, I haven't seen any comments about feedback control and whether it would be good or bad for this delightful little loco. Today I had access to both types, but was wary of running it with feedback (Kentrol) controllers, but ran it a couple of feet both ways. Later, on a friend's layout with Gaugemaster normal controllers it was given an extensive workout and in both instances, without its wagon. The latter layout's code 100 set track is not in the best condition, so not surprised it stalled once or twice at very slow speed.

So, feedback or no feedback, that is the question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the smoke and nasty smells, or be safe amongst the DC normality ( apologies to the Great Bard of course!) ?

Tod

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SweenyTod1 said:

So, feedback or no feedback, that is the question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the smoke and nasty smells, or be safe amongst the DC normality ( apologies to the Great Bard of course!) ?

Tod

Mine runs fine on my old AMR feedback controller.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2019 at 15:07, pauliebanger said:

I'm not convinced by the connivance of the match truck either.

Especially as there is no need when the model can perform like this:

I'm not a DCC user, but I have to concede that if there is any doubt what can be achieved, to convince someone starting a new layout project, this demonstration is overwhelming!

I did a calculation of an estimated cost to convert all my locos etc and as a pensioner, £3-4000 is way beyond my resources. However, having a distillery based small layout in mind, I could be tempted, depending on the cost of a control system and the components to put in my Ruston. I have no idea at all, what that would be. Getting that kind of control and sound out of such a tiny loco is impressive indeed. I could be tempted, but don't tell the wife........!!!

Tod

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/11/2019 at 12:36, SweenyTod1 said:

I'm not a DCC user, but I have to concede that if there is any doubt what can be achieved, to convince someone starting a new layout project, this demonstration is overwhelming!

I did a calculation of an estimated cost to convert all my locos etc and as a pensioner, £3-4000 is way beyond my resources. However, having a distillery based small layout in mind, I could be tempted, depending on the cost of a control system and the components to put in my Ruston. I have no idea at all, what that would be. Getting that kind of control and sound out of such a tiny loco is impressive indeed. I could be tempted, but don't tell the wife........!!!

Tod

Tod,

It is indeed surprising what can be achieved with a careful selection of components (and the pockets to support their purchase).

Agreed, if you already have a large stable of DC locos, a wholesale conversion will cost quite a lot, especially noticable if all done at once. 

The model is currently offered on a well known online auction site.

But you don't actually need DCC to run this model, including many of the sounds. You could convert to DCC later if you need to access all of the sounds and manually controlled Functions. Here's a link to it running on analogue;

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Re the seemingly unnecessary attached wagon, according to "British Model Trains" the conflat tooling that Hornby have is not the 1978 Airfix one but a copy of it that Dapol made in the early 1980s; the Airfix tooling still being used by Dapol although the associated BD container tooling that went to Hornby in 1996 was the 1978 Airfix tooling,

• Informative/Useful 2

10 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

A Dapol 7-plank body is a one-minute body swap for the Hornby 'conflat' body. Exactly the same clip-fit to the chassis. (CJL)

So what livery would be a correct  version with a ten foot wheel base?

I mentioned up thread about using a van body but I am still undecided as to what to use. Other than a BR one and then the brake gear will need some attention and it will look far to modern.

Bernard

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson

When, is the open cab version due for release? The Army version appears to be a straightforward conversion for the exYeovil S1169

Thank you

JB

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

When, is the open cab version due for release? The Army version appears to be a straightforward conversion for the exYeovil S1169

Thank you

JB

Ex Broadclyst..... But I'm not sure if there were other differences. Would be good in Hornby brought it out as DS1169. 

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Thank you

JB

I have one on order and Hattons have informed me Dec. 2019.

52 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I have one on order and Hattons have informed me Dec. 2019.

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

Ex Broadclyst..... But I'm not sure if there were other differences. Would be good in Hornby brought it out as DS1169. 

1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

Thank you

JB

there was a 2 part hinged cover for the upper doorway  & a lower door that's all as for as I know

Also we have the Cab side Numbers in stock

http://www.247developments.co.uk/electrics_&_diesels.html

• Like 2

On 06/11/2019 at 14:39, dibber25 said:

A Dapol 7-plank body is a one-minute body swap for the Hornby 'conflat' body. Exactly the same clip-fit to the chassis. (CJL)

Thank goodness for that.  The conflat is probably the least suitable prototype to use...

Les

Edited by Les1952
typo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

So what livery would be a correct  version with a ten foot wheel base?

I mentioned up thread about using a van body but I am still undecided as to what to use. Other than a BR one and then the brake gear will need some attention and it will look far to modern.

Bernard

No idea what wheelbase the one in the photo is - probably 9ft but I can't say I'm bothered enough to mess with the chassis. The picture I'm looking at is the Express Dairies Ruston in the thread about 'Milk to Morden' in the prototype section of RMweb. The wooden bodied wagon has a BR number panel but lots of patched planks and pre-BR paint and dirt. (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

Simon Kohler is due to give a talk at our railway enthusiasts group next Thursday so if I get the chance I intend to suggest an Express Dairies version. Also the army version will be open cab but there is an army one with closed cab in preservation, I will suggest that as well.

29 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

No idea what wheelbase the one in the photo is - probably 9ft but I can't say I'm bothered enough to mess with the chassis. The picture I'm looking at is the Express Dairies Ruston in the thread about 'Milk to Morden' in the prototype section of RMweb. The wooden bodied wagon has a BR number panel but lots of patched planks and pre-BR paint and dirt. (CJL)

If something realistic is wanted, a 9ft. WB wooden mineral wagon chassis with the sides and ends stripped off would be most likely; (10ft. WB seven plank mineral wagons would have been rare, to say the least)!

Visibility would be important, and an intact seven plank mineral wagon would block most of the driver's view with a tiny loco such as this.

If a runner / pick-up wagon is essential, it should not be difficult to fit a 9' WB wagon chassis with pick-ups, and transfer the plug and socket from the CONFLAT.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, cctransuk said:

If something realistic is wanted, a 9ft. WB wooden mineral wagon chassis with the sides and ends stripped off would be most likely; (10ft. WB seven plank mineral wagons would have been rare, to say the least)!

Visibility would be important, and an intact seven plank mineral wagon would block most of the driver's view with a tiny loco such as this.

If a runner / pick-up wagon is essential, it should not be difficult to fit a 9' WB wagon chassis with pick-ups, and transfer the plug and socket from the CONFLAT.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

When I tested one, I found it was OK with the conflat but running was even more positive when the conflat was 'loaded' with a large track rubber (well, it was handy and it fitted!). I'm thinking, long-term of a repaint for the Ruston and use in a milk depot and I stumbled across this picture elsewhere on RMweb. I'm sure the wagon isn't a 'runner' for the Ruston but just happens to be next to it in the siding. As much as anything else, my body swap was to see how much (if any) the old Airfix chassis has been changed. Evidently, not much, as the old body was a perfect fit. (CJL)

Industrial_Express_Dairy_slide331-M.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

This was the Express Dairiy at Morden it also had a larger engine that done the bulk of the work. As well as milk tankers in and out coal for the boilers was also delivered by rail and the Ruston is probably shunting the empties. I hope that Hornby do bring out an Express Dairy liveried version, an attractive livery.

• RMweb Gold
On 06/11/2019 at 22:41, PhilJ W said:

Conflats were attached to some 03 and 04 classes to operate signal circuits. Though the Rustons often operated where there were no signals let alone signal circuits.

The Rustons never operated on signalled or track circuited running lines (unless someone can come up with a BR licensed example) as they were strictly industrial locos for use in private sidings and yards.  This goes for most industrials, including Pecketts, Andrew Barclays. Janus, and Sentinels.  There were some Hunslet Austerity type 0-6-0STs licensed for use on BR running lines in the North East of England, but by and large industrials work on their own sidings and main line locos come into the exchange sidings as far as the stop board.  

IIRC the Airfix/Dapol conflat was a scale 10' wheebase, and a BD type container would not have fitted on a 9' wheelbase flat.  My objection to it is that the chassis tooling is a bit crude and the brake lever is moulded; if I had one I'd be replacing it with current spec Bachmann.  Incidentally, one of the cheapest donors is the Bachmann conflat...

I doubt that 48DS Rustons ran with a match truck very often, which would anyway eat into their already limited haulage capacity, though on a large site where the loco might get some way from the servicing point an internal user wagon of some sort, likely a semi-derelict flat, to carry spare fuel, coolant, and spares might have come in handy.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

There were some Hunslet Austerity type 0-6-0STs licensed for use on BR running lines in the North East of England, but by and large industrials work on their own sidings and main line locos come into the exchange sidings as far as the stop board.  

There was shed loads of industrial's registered to travel over BR lines.  Sometimes only for very short distances and sometimes only occasionally. Then there was companies that exercised running powers over BR lines. Sometimes the companies had to provide brake vans or similar for BR inspectors to travel in, sometimes not. If it was for occasional use BR would send a fitter to examine the loco before travel.

An comparable small shunter to the Rustons that ran over BR lines was the Armstrong Whitworth of Reyrolle in Hebburn. Reyrolle had works on both sides of  the BR lines that the works shunter had to use to travel between sites.

Three different Rustons on the riverside at Middlesbrough regularly ran on the freight only BR lines along Vulcan street. There's a pic of 402808 doing so in this post and it wears no BR Registration plate.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

IIRC the Airfix/Dapol conflat was a scale 10' wheebase, and a BD type container would not have fitted on a 9' wheelbase flat.

My recollection, from building most of the pre-Nationalisation CONFLATs, is that the body of the 9' WB version has the same dimensions as the 10' WB one; 17'-6'' in length.

After all, the containers that were loaded were not specific to the wheelbase of the CONFLAT.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1