Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

Acquired one cheaper than normal off ebay and fitted it with a Zimo MX622N which, having read on the thread the longer and bulkier Bachmann 6 pin apparently fits, I thought would be no problem but it initially stopped the body going back on properly. By ensuring the decoder and socket were right to the front the body would go on and then did a right angle fit with the socket down the end of the motor to ensure definitely no refit issues in the future, with insulation tape applies to the motor casing and wrapped across the exposed pins Annoyingly one of lifting eyes fell off, managed to retrieve it from the rug. Did ponder why the design did not allow for the electrical sockets to be further back and presumably the apparent need for the pick up wagon was only determined on after the chassis had been designed. Roof now off awaiting an appropriate driver figure.

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

How is that possible?

That shouldn't be possible.

How is the power coming through the paper?

Its down to the "potential" of the electrical supply - all insulators will at some point breakdown and allow electric flow. Potentially its risky trying it with paper as the likely outcome is the paper catching fire.

• Informative/Useful 2

How is that possible?

Judging by the title of the video, it isn't - it's a stay-alive chip.

• Like 2

I've seen a stay-alive chip demonstrated by taking the loco off the track and running it across the baseboard top. They will typically run a loco for a couple of yards without any power from the track. I wonder how long it will be before mainstream manufacturers start to fit them in small 0-4-0s as standard. (CJL)

• Agree 1

Stay-alive only works with DCC. With DC, there's no way to tell the difference between a deliberate loss of power (turning the knob down on the controller) and an unwanted loss of power (dodgy track or wiring). And there aren't that many small locos that are DCC fitted as standard, even now.

Part of the problem is that small locos tend to be built down to a price point, because they're often marketed as entry-level models (or, in the case of more obscure things like industrials, the price is kept low because manufacturers aren't certain of the market).  And adding DCC and stay-alive to a low-priced model results in a disproportionate increase in the RRP compared to doing the same with a loco that costs more to start with.

• Like 1

How is that possible?

CK

As others have pointed out, there's a stay alive capacitor pack included in the installation. It will run for much further than the width of that paper sheet, but that would be just showing off. LOL.

If you think that's impressive, see the video below. Stay Alives only work on DCC, right? (Not if your decoder is a ZIMO, the world's most accomplished decoders on so many levels).

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2019 at 11:58, PhilJ W said:

Simon Kohler is due to give a talk at our railway enthusiasts group next Thursday so if I get the chance I intend to suggest an Express Dairies version. Also the army version will be open cab but there is an army one with closed cab in preservation, I will suggest that as well.

Tell him to do DS1169 as well!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Stay-alive only works with DCC. With DC, there's no way to tell the difference between a deliberate loss of power (turning the knob down on the controller) and an unwanted loss of power (dodgy track or wiring). And there aren't that many small locos that are DCC fitted as standard, even now.

Part of the problem is that small locos tend to be built down to a price point, because they're often marketed as entry-level models (or, in the case of more obscure things like industrials, the price is kept low because manufacturers aren't certain of the market).  And adding DCC and stay-alive to a low-priced model results in a disproportionate increase in the RRP compared to doing the same with a loco that costs more to start with.

Sorry Mark, I was typing my response when you posted this.

It's true most decoders will not operate Stay Alives on analogue, but ZIMO's are smarter than most and can distinguish between a power-out and a deliberate voltage reduction to reduce speed.

If you've never used a ZIMO, there are probably many other high end features as standard that other brands only dream of. LOL.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/11/2019 at 01:45, The Johnster said:

The Rustons never operated on signalled or track circuited running lines (unless someone can come up with a BR licensed example) as they were strictly industrial locos for use in private sidings and yards.  This goes for most industrials, including Pecketts, Andrew Barclays. Janus, and Sentinels.  There were some Hunslet Austerity type 0-6-0STs licensed for use on BR running lines in the North East of England, but by and large industrials work on their own sidings and main line locos come into the exchange sidings as far as the stop board.  

DS1169, was a 48DS used by the Southern Region at the p-way depot at Broadclyst.  It was regularly to be seen going down the main line to Exmouth Junction, and when it moved to Yeovil Junction it went under its own power.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I should have specified that I was discussing privately owned industrials and not BR owned Rustons; my bad.  Industrials have to be licensed and carry a licence plate to be used on BR running lines, and their drivers must have the appropriate road and Rules and Regs knowledge.  Industrials working on to BR sidings, as opposed to running lines, were a matter of local arrangements

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Its down to the "potential" of the electrical supply - all insulators will at some point breakdown and allow electric flow. Potentially its risky trying it with paper as the likely outcome is the paper catching fire.

Sounds rather alarming.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MarkSG said:

it's a stay-alive chip.

Is that some kind of a battery? How on earth can you fit a battery into a tiny loco like that?

I saw a friend drive his 'O' gauge pannier along the cess a few months ago, using an on-board battery, but that seems like a rather different proposition.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JohnR said:

Tell him to do DS1169 as well!

Do as I intend doing - forthcoming open-cabbed Army version with markings removed; sheet the cab cut-out; and add DS1169 numberplates from 247 Developments.

Simples !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Meanwhile, Algernon Cuthbertson languished in Bodmin Gaol, dreaming of an escape attempt. ‘Surely Father won’t let me rot in here for ever?’ he pondered.

When the current rebuild of Bodmin Gaol (by the Russians!) is completed shortly, there will be very little 'languishing' done there. I expect that it will cost an arm and a leg; (not literally I hope); to walk across the threshold !!

(Perhaps the Russians know more than we do? Could it be intended by the Corbyn regime as a luxury resort for the Party faithful)?

Regards, with tongue in cheek,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Is that some kind of a battery? How on earth can you fit a battery into a tiny loco like that?

I saw a friend drive his 'O' gauge pannier along the cess a few months ago, using an on-board battery, but that seems like a rather different proposition.

I knew a bloke at Canton who’d done that with a real pannier, and it wasn’t battery powered...

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

As others have pointed out, there's a stay alive capacitor pack

What value capacitor have You fitted for the demo please.  I'm using two or three 330uF stay alives via an SACC 16 just to get over glitches and it helps in keeping the loco cab comparatively clear.

Might be worthwhile explaining that you can also set up the motor cut out time after running of a live section of track to prevent your loco running on and  taking an unintended nose dive off the edge of any  baseboard.

I do like these large Mexican produced caps though. They allow one to put on a quite impressive floor show.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Two more liveries available this month were seen at Gaydon.

With the forthcoming availability of the Hornby model of the "doorless" cab version of this loco (the WD livery version), I thought of  making one look like the Liverpool Overhead Railway's Ruston 48DS so my question is - does anyone have any information about the livery of this loco, please?

TIA,

Stan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

What value capacitor have You fitted for the demo please.  I'm using two or three 330uF stay alives via an SACC 16 just to get over glitches and it helps in keeping the loco cab comparatively clear.

Might be worthwhile explaining that you can also set up the motor cut out time after running of a live section of track to prevent your loco running on and  taking an unintended nose dive off the edge of any  baseboard.

I do like these large Mexican produced caps though. They allow one to put on a quite impressive floor show.

P

The full story is in the current Hornby Mag, issue 150.

I don't know the value of the capacitor, but judging from the running time, it must be in the order of 100, 000uF, I would guess, but that could be way out, so don't quote me on it.

Duration of running without a DCC signal can be adjusted with CV153. (All my projects come with comprehensive User Notes).

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Not sure if this is the right place?  But it might be of help to someone. Taken at the Lancashire mining museum, Astley at the weekend. I know nothing of its history other than its original looking paint being dark Blue under the peeling paint, and the riveted 16t. coal wagon might make a good matching truck for a model. 

2019-11-09 13.41.39.mh.jpg

2019-11-09 13.41.47.astly.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1