Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

We had a talk by Simon Kohlner at our railway group this evening and I asked him about the possibility of an Express Daries version. In fact he was unaware of that particular locomotive but he promised to look into it. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Chipmaster said:

The Rosebridge and Ince Hall Wagon Works 48ds no 244580, of 1946, and currently at Astley Green, is a very different locomotive to ED10, which was supplied to Beeston Sleeper works new in 1958 no 411322, and is now at Irchester Narrow Gauge Railway Trust.

Chipmaster,

It is not clear to me whether your post is intended to refer to my post (above) re ED10.

It is my understanding BR ED10; a 3'-0'' gauge loco supplied for use at Beeston Sleeper Works, (as you say); subsequently went to Tracked Hovercraft Limited near St. Ives (Cambridgeshire). It was there fitted with non-flanged wheels and adapted to run on the concrete beam tracks of the (abhortive) tracked hovercraft project; (as per Honest Tom's photo above). It's subsequent ownership is not known to me.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Cctransuk

If you look up the Irchester Narrow Gauge Railway Trust, you can see ED10, still on 3' 0" ft track, looking extremely well cared for, unlike the sorry state of the standard gauge 48ds at Astley Green. I thought from your post you were saying they were one and the same loco, many apologies if I misunderstood you.

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think this is where the misunderstanding occurred. If you click the underlined bit, it's a link.

This is the picture it links to.

Tracked_Hovercraft_Ruston_(6692327847).j

Photo Wiki.

Jason

...... which is ED10 in its Tracked Hovercraft incarnation - unless I am very much mistaken.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 23:58, PhilJ W said:

We had a talk by Simon Kohlner at our railway group this evening and I asked him about the possibility of an Express Daries version. In fact he was unaware of that particular locomotive but he promised to look into it. 

That one's fairly local to me, so there'd be a sale here. If they did milk tankers in the same livery, I bet they'd inspire more than one micro-layout.

• Like 1

On 20/11/2019 at 17:30, ukinfidel said:

Has anyone yet got their hands in the little red Dewar's version? It was reviewed in BRM at the same time as the green one but I haven't yet heard anything from Rails about my preorder.

I looked at Rails website today and its listed as "in stock",  £71.99 and free postage! Got the first one already, but seriously tempted to get the Dewers one. They really are cracking little runners (without the wagon in tow, which is a waste really) with so much potential. Small, but perfectly formed!!

Tod

• Like 3

On 22/11/2019 at 22:20, SweenyTod1 said:

I looked at Rails website today and its listed as "in stock",  £71.99 and free postage! Got the first one already, but seriously tempted to get the Dewers one. They really are cracking little runners (without the wagon in tow, which is a waste really) with so much potential. Small, but perfectly formed!!

Tod

I fell under its spell and the little red one arrived today. It still has the wagon attached, but not for long! Once again a superb runner, even over some uneven trackwork on my test plank. I really must sort that out!

Tod

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 25/11/2019 at 13:53, Chipmaster said:

http://whiskyshunters.blogspot.com 

The latest entry to this blog has some very nice historical colour photos of 265618 Queen Anne at Longmorn distillery.

Had a wee look at this blog - from what I saw it looks to be a very thorough restoration.  I hope they have benefited a wee bit from the Hornby model being produced!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to Hornby info released to retailers such as Kernow and Rails in the last few days, there are a large number of new releases planned to be with retailers before Christmas. This includes both the remaining Rustons with no door cabs, Army and Longmorn Distillery (Queen Anne).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 20:55, PhilJ W said:

I have the Ruston liveried one and I acquired the Dewars one at Warley. I've also got the Army one on order.

The Army liveried one is now showing as having arrived on the Hornby Website.  As mentioned previously here, I am thinking of converting it to the Broad Clyst shunter - DS1169.  I know that the numberplate is available, but what is the best method of removing the Hornby lettering as I suspect the the DS1169 plate will be smaller?  Also, I have just seen that the rear of the loco has wasp stripes - has anyone seen photos of the back of DS1169 - was it similar?

Finally, DS1169 was at Broad Clyst until the WR Takeover in 1964 and the moved to Yeovil.  However, the IRS records show that for a short time in 1964 it was at the Taunton sleeper works - here's a Chance for the BR(W) modellers then!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Best, and safest way to remove tampo printing is a dab of T-cut on a cotton bud. Rub gently using a circular motion and clean the area thoroughly afterwards before adding paint, glue or nameplates. DO NOT USE nail varnish remover or other acetone products as this can affect some plastics.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

The Army liveried one is now showing as having arrived on the Hornby Website. 

It's now got further that that too! :) Our masses (and I mean masses...we're swimming in them!) arrived into stock this morning, so they will be arriving at your local model shop soon!

49198832436_7727425891_b.jpg

R3706 - Rear by Derails Models, on Flickr

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Derails Models said:

Our masses (and I mean masses...we're swimming in them!) arrived into stock this morning, so they will be arriving at your local model shop soon!

Excellent news Dan; my two will soon be heading back over the Severn to their new home in Wiltshire. :rolleyes:

I better get on with putting together various part built buildings to make a layout for one of them, and seriously get my plans sorted for a layout for the other one. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Guest Jack Benson
3 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

DS1169.  I know that the numberplate is available, but what is the best method of removing the Hornby lettering as I suspect the the DS1169 plate will be smaller? 

Hi Geoff,

Who offers the number plate for DS1169?

and

either toothpaste or Brasso applied with a cotton bud will remove tampon printed lettering, just be gentle.

Colour photo of DS1169 Click here

Cheers

Edited by Jack Benson
Link for photo