Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Colin, there is a Sentinel on E-bay for £99, I might grab it before someone else does. My army Ruston arrived this morning and will be tested later. I might consider re-numbering it to 807 (Caen) the LMR one and try sourcing nameplates for it. I looked it up in the book on the LMR and it was almost certainly painted green as in all the photographs it is in matt finish and all the LMR blue locomotives were gloss. On the LMR it seems to have spent a lot of time in the air being used for demonstrating the LMR steam crane.

21 hours ago, coline33 said:

Of the ten Ruston 48DS, 803 served at the greatest number of sites - seven including Long Marston.   Therefore, these are the numbers for this Hornby set if you replace the Conflat body by a Hornby shunters truck body - all in Army green.   The only one of the ten to work at Longmoor was 807 where it was named "Caen" but as to whether it was Army green or Longmoor blue I cannot see whether the livery was recorded.   Alas 802 only worked at one Army site which was Weedon.

Do you know the Ruston works numbers of these ten?

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ruston said:

Do you know the Ruston works numbers of these ten?

Just to let you know that some four ours ago I responded with all the numbers and more but for some unknown reason the system blocked my attempts to submit on two occasions.   I have complained and in view of the amount of detail I gave I am extremely annoyed.   I still have had no response to the blocking.

• Friendly/supportive 1

As the above post has got through I will respond to Phil's post.   Yes, I suspected that CAEN was in Army green but in view of being named I could have been wrong.   The fact that it was used as the lift in crane training and rerailing may well have been the reason not to repaint as no doubt damage could have been expected and accepted!!!   I was on the verge of emailing the 'Colonel' but in view of the blocking I have not.   So now to attempt to a third chance to get the data through that Ruston required.   This time without the 'quote'!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coline33 said:

Just to let you know that some four ours ago I responded with all the numbers and more but for some unknown reason the system blocked my attempts to submit on two occasions.   I have complained and in view of the amount of detail I gave I am extremely annoyed.   I still have had no response to the blocking.

Sorry to hear that. I have found them now after I remembered that I have a copy of the IRS book Locomotives of the Minitry of Defence.

According to that book the army had 11 48DS (or 12 if you count the one acquired second hand from ICI which was built in 1937 and so was a 44/48HP loco and not a 48DS).

• Informative/Useful 1

From the IRS book.   800 = 187075  1938,   801 = 221648  1943,   802 = 221645  1944,   803 = 224341  1944,   804 = 224342  1944,   805 = 224343  1944,   806 = 224344  1944,   807 =224345 1945,   808 = 224347  1945,   809 = 224348  1945 and then there were also 813 (second rebuild of 1925 battery loco now preserved as ARMY 110 see photos on internet) = 411319  1957 and 814 = 218048  1943 (photo in IRS book).   Photo of 802 on internet and 807 in Longmoor books.   807 was named CAEN after the WW2 army depot at Caen in France and 809 was named PLUTO after the WW2 'Pipe Line Under The Ocean' system of supplying fuel for the WW2 invasion.   Trust this gets through and helps.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Sorry to hear that. I have found them now after I remembered that I have a copy of the IRS book Locomotives of the Minitry of Defence.

According to that book the army had 11 48DS (or 12 if you count the one acquired second hand from ICI which was built in 1937 and so was a 44/48HP loco and not a 48DS).

Thanks, Ruston.   I have at last got it through as there may be others who will be interested.   Glad you have the book which shows all the depots at which these 12 locos worked.   A book I fully recommend to those interested in Army railway to get.

• Like 1

Army 808 WN 224347 is the one plinthed near Bank Hall.

Atlantic_Avenue,_1998_Ruston_48DS_0-4-0_

Photo El Pollock - Wiki Commons/Geograph

"The Atlantic Avenue, 1998" Ruston 48DS 0-4-0 Diesel Shunter, on the corner of Bankfield Street and Derby Road, Bootle, England, as seen from across the junction at the end of Bankhall Street. Visible behind the wall is the S. Norton scrapyard on Regent Road. This standard-gauge engine was built in 1945, works number 224347. It is owned by Merseyside Development Corporation

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2860386

Jason

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Isn't there a Cowans-Sheldon steam crane similar to the one on the LMR due for release soon? Would make an interesting diorama of 807 being lifted.

Bachmann made the Ransomes and Rapier 45 ton steam crane. Although I wouldn't want to lift anything more than a wagon with it due to the fidelity of it.

The Ruston does have a fair amount of weight for its size so may cause it to tip if unsupported in some way. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Guest Jack Benson
On 14 December 2019 at 17:19, Thebigshot said:

Hi Guys 

sorry if this has been asked already I'm pretty tired looking through this already but is the wire and hard cupeler easy to remove mines due to arrive soon

thanks

alan

My most sincere apologies for being a thicko but how exactly are the jumper wires removed? The prospect of ruining the model is of real concern........

btw, gratuitous photo just because it is such a beautiful model

image.jpeg.0cc44b310932709ea90fb869a4807fa2.jpeg

Cheers and thanks

Edited by Jack Benson
Awful spelling

Just now, Jack Benson said:

My most sincere apologies for being a thicko but how exactly are the jumper wires removed? The prosoect of ruining the model is of real concern........

btw, gratuitous photo just because it is such a beautiful model

image.jpeg.0cc44b310932709ea90fb869a4807fa2.jpeg

Cheers and thanks

Mine unplugged quite easily. I pulled loco/conflat coupling apart first to give a bit more finger room around the plugs then they just pulled out without any problem. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Jason, for the latest view of erstwhile WD 808.   Yesterday I cleaned up my old Wagon Works board based on a Chris Leigh article in an old "Model Rail".   It comprises two Peco insulated frog points - a three way and double slip - and sidings.   802 plus Conflat operated extremely well except for one tight siding curve where one or the other derailed.   This was because the curve was sharper than the Hornby minimum of 2nd radius.   Uncoupling the loco completely from the Conflat and inserting the provided couplers at each end overcame the issue and the loco performed faultlessly.   It sheer smallest in size makes it the perfect shunter for micro layouts so I am extremely pleased with it.   The Conflat - well that is back in the box and there is no need to re-livery it!!!   The end result is that the board will be extended for the return of my stored military buildings and the Ruston joined by an Army 03 diesel, Longmoor 300 and Austerities to handle my military and BR wagons at a repair centre. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Mine unplugged quite easily. I pulled loco/conflat coupling apart first to give a bit more finger room around the plugs then they just pulled out without any problem. 

I used long nosed pliers and removed the electrical plug first to avoid damaging it.   The bar then pulled out easily.   Mind you I too did not have the confidence to do until Chris Harvey told me how easy and faultless it was doing it that way.

• Informative/Useful 1

The two little prong bits pull out of the socket, it's best however to push against the socket with something otherwise that might come too and break the bumper rail thingy - don't ask how I know that (luckily it repaired invisibly).

If it runs poorly once the wagon is off check the pickups - I had to bend all mine out. Fiddly,,but worth it, it now runs better than my Hornby Peckett and Sentinel and isn't even run in yet

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Army 808 WN 224347 is the one plinthed near Bank Hall.

Atlantic_Avenue,_1998_Ruston_48DS_0-4-0_

Photo El Pollock - Wiki Commons/Geograph

"The Atlantic Avenue, 1998" Ruston 48DS 0-4-0 Diesel Shunter, on the corner of Bankfield Street and Derby Road, Bootle, England, as seen from across the junction at the end of Bankhall Street. Visible behind the wall is the S. Norton scrapyard on Regent Road. This standard-gauge engine was built in 1945, works number 224347. It is owned by Merseyside Development Corporation

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2860386

Jason

Back in the 1980s/90s, the same loco was spare to a Ruston 88DS at W.H. Davis wagon works, at Langwith Junction. I photographed it in March 1991 when it was still painted in its very faded army livery.

RH224347WHDavisMar91.jpg.5ba13bea4c1752b265b5ac8369999d36.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest, anyone received a pre-ordered 'Army 802' from Rails of Sheffield yet?

They have been showing in stock for a few days but my January pre-order hasn't been shipped yet despite a call yesterday.

I have no doubt they are extremely busy in dispatch due to the season.

It would be nice to get it for Christmas - it would make a great table decoration running in during dinner :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, nigcuberail said:

Out of interest, anyone received a pre-ordered 'Army 802' from Rails of Sheffield yet?

They have been showing in stock for a few days but my January pre-order hasn't been shipped yet despite a call yesterday.

I have no doubt they are extremely busy in dispatch due to the season.

It would be nice to get it for Christmas - it would make a great table decoration running in during dinner :biggrin_mini2:

Mine is in progress and I was told they are overwhelmed with new releases and there is a backlog in the despatch department.

Now in the post. [21/12/19]

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I received the January 2020 edition of Railway Bylines this morning. In an article about Clee Hill there is an illustration of a brake vehicle intended for use on an incline. Basically a low sided open wagon fitted with footboards and a brake standard. My thoughts are with the Ruston being a lightweight it might be found neccessary to add some more brake force. So I am now considering adding such features to the match wagon together with a toolbox and a few other additions.

• Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I am planning to build a scrapyard micro layout and so have just weathered my latest purchase to be the motive power. The scrapyard acquired it from the MOD and it has received a few knocks and scrapes, not to mention not getting cared for anything like as well as it would have in army service.

4dsnewmodel-005.jpg.48e1375ab9ca202e7ea4b964255d368a.jpg

4dsnewmodel-004.jpg.f558183c0008e2841d36f9d69816439c.jpg

Very nice weathering Ruston, not overdone at all it looks great, how did you acheive that? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Walked over the Thames in driving rain to have a pre-Xmas browse at Ian Allan by Waterloo yesterday evening.

Saw 3 versions of the Rustons in the cabinet and was instantly smitten. Had no plans to buy one but couldn't resist the Queen Anne - last QA in the shop despite them only arriving the other day. £69.99 in store so very pleased. Currently running in on my test track.

A truly stunning little model.

• Like 1