Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

8 minutes ago, jrb said:

Pleased to see 3 new liveries of this announced this morning - DVLR 'Jim', Grant Rail, and the Express Diaries livery. Not available until September though.

Not pleased to say they're £10 more expensive than the last lot... that's a 12.5% increase on the RRP!!!

I'd be interested if anyone can help with the date when the Express Dairy loco was built. It says era 4/5/6 and so does not fit into the Big Four but I might be able to stretch Rule 1 if only because my grandfather worked for them as a dairy manager.

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, ndg910 said:

I'd be interested if anyone can help with the date when the Express Dairy loco was built. It says era 4/5/6 and so does not fit into the Big Four but I might be able to stretch Rule 1 if only because my grandfather worked for them as a dairy manager.

IIRC its one of the earlier ones. The photographs of the actual one show it to have the open cab.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, ndg910 said:

It was at Morden Dairy in the 1960’s...

its right up my street (literally).

theres a picture (not mine) on the net..

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/Miscellaneous/Industrial-railways-South/i-bxnt45L

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see that the DVLR's 'Jim' is one of the new liveries. Jim was the first 48DS that I ever laid eyes on, when the current DVLR was the GYRPS, at the site of the former Starbeck shed. It was working on Jim that really got my interest in all things Ruston started and as this was the 48DS that I took the Hornby chaps to see and measure at the beginning of the project to produce a RTR 48DS.

The Grant Rail one represents what was probably the last working 48DS outside preservation and I think it managed to make it into the present century in industrial service.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ndg910 said:

I think the dairy opened in 1954, according to one online source, so was the loco new then? Probably. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ndg910 said:

Ex-works 24/8/45. New to Express Dairy Co. Ltd. at Cricklewood. I'd guess that it was probably not new in the livery that Hornby are doing it in though. You'd have to do some digging to find out from when it carried the blue Express Dairy livery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Ruston said:

Ex-works 24/8/45. New to Express Dairy Co. Ltd. at Cricklewood. I'd guess that it was probably not new in the livery that Hornby are doing it in though. You'd have to do some digging to find out from when it carried the blue Express Dairy livery.

Thank you. Really helpful.

• RMweb Premium

Seeing the illustration of the Express Dairy one shunting an old 7-plank wagon I wonder if there's a suitable body to replace the flat wagon body? Also, is there a milk tanker available in Express Dairy colours? I seem to remember grey or silver tanks with dark blue lettering.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Seeing the illustration of the Express Dairy one shunting an old 7-plank wagon I wonder if there's a suitable body to replace the flat wagon body? Also, is there a milk tanker available in Express Dairy colours? I seem to remember grey or silver tanks with dark blue lettering.

The Hornby 48DS model runs perfectly fine without the wagon and it’s additional pick ups attached. 

Hornby have produced Express Dairy livery milk tanks in the recent past. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I think (I haven’t got one to hand to check) but any ex. Dapol/airfix RTR short wheelbase wagon body should be a simple clip on/off.  Certainly the 5 plank body in my photo above did, so their 12t tank wagon should as well.  I’ve tried running it without the runner, however due to the point work in the yard throat it stalled repeatably (this is not a criticism of Hornby, more a comment on my tracklaying).

Owain

• Like 1

On 04/01/2020 at 20:58, Firecracker said:

One of these lovely little beasts joined the roster on Sedbergh today care of Monk Bar Models.  Possably the easiest DCC instal I’ve every done, body came straight off, Gaugemaster 6 pin decoder popped straight in on top of the motor.  Only mod I’ve done is to swap the conflat body for a 5 plank dropside body I weathered earlier.  Superb slow speed near silent running straight out of the box.  Very impressed indeed.  The Queen Anne livery was chosen because a) it’s different and b) earlier in the year I got ‘volunteered’ into clearing and sorting a load of ham radio gear.  It came packed in Queen Anne Whisky boxes!

394E84A2-8AF6-4DB9-A542-A910E4DADC8E.jpeg.d9bfb5b04f9b7d8e5de72f8a6fecd515.jpeg

Owain

Did you use the Gaugemaster dcc93 decoder? I was a bit worried about adding a decoder having read earlier comments but this sounds straightforward.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Max Legroom said:

Did you use the Gaugemaster dcc93 decoder? I was a bit worried about adding a decoder having read earlier comments but this sounds straightforward.

I used the DCC23 (following a long consultation with Martin at Monk Bar).  

C099C065-5612-4941-B46C-D52ACFD9DB73.jpeg.92c758262b892263ac2b606ad520816e.jpeg

Only thing I did was because it was going to be on top of the motor was that I wrapped it in sticky tape to prevent any shorting.  Bizarrely, considering how small the beast is, it’s one of the easiest installations I’ve done.  Literally undo the four screws, remove the coupler blanking plates and the chassis popped out with no bother.  Reassembly was similarly straightforward, set the address to 48 (I use two digit adresses, usually the last two digits of the loco number, due to using an older lenz system) and it ran like silk first go!  Monk bar had already test run it for me on DC.

Owain

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ruston said:

The express dairy picture shared was dated September 1962.

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/Miscellaneous/Industrial-railways-South/i-bxnt45L/A

it looks pretty much ex-works in that image, even the buffers !

theres another  image in 1977, to my eyes this also looks like a Ruston, just heavily disguised and a different livery...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28083135@N06/5373989780

Edited by adb968008

9 hours ago, Firecracker said:

I used the DCC23 (following a long consultation with Martin at Monk Bar).  

C099C065-5612-4941-B46C-D52ACFD9DB73.jpeg.92c758262b892263ac2b606ad520816e.jpeg

Only thing I did was because it was going to be on top of the motor was that I wrapped it in sticky tape to prevent any shorting.  Bizarrely, considering how small the beast is, it’s one of the easiest installations I’ve done.  Literally undo the four screws, remove the coupler blanking plates and the chassis popped out with no bother.  Reassembly was similarly straightforward, set the address to 48 (I use two digit adresses, usually the last two digits of the loco number, due to using an older lenz system) and it ran like silk first go!  Monk bar had already test run it for me on DC.

Owain

Thanks Owain. Really helpful. I’ll order a decoder and give it a go. Best wishes Max

• Like 1

Can confirm that the Guagemaster DCC93 will fit with no problems, the only thing I would mention is that I would not use normal insulation tape as this may help the decoder overheat instead I have used  KAPTON tape which is a lot thinner and does the same job as insulation tape but can help them  to operate at a lower temperature. Remember decoders are a circuit board which produces heat to much of which can cause problems.

Kapton tape is available from well known internet sites and whilst not cheap goes a long way.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, johnd said:

I have used  KAPTON tape which is a lot thinner and does the same job as insulation tape but can help them  to operate at a lower temperature.

No. Kapton is a bl**dy good heat insulator. NASA used it as thermal blanketing. It's long term use is questionable due to degradation over time under certain circumstances. It's properties have been a major contributory factor in a number of aircraft losses. Having said that we're just talking model railways here and I use it all of the time but when I've used it around decoders I tend to check it regularly for signs of singeing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The express dairy picture shared was dated September 1962.

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/Miscellaneous/Industrial-railways-South/i-bxnt45L/A

it looks pretty much ex-works in that image, even the buffers !

theres another  image in 1977, to my eyes this also looks like a Ruston, just heavily disguised and a different livery...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28083135@N06/5373989780

Yes, If the livery looked newly painted in 1962 then it didn't leave Lincoln painted in that colour. So we can assume it was repainted around the date of that photo.

The other locomotive is a Hunslet Yardmaster 4-wheel diesel hydraulic.

Edited by Ruston
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 07/01/2020 at 09:20, Ruston said:

Yes, If the livery looked newly painted in 1962 then it didn't leave Lincoln painted in that colour. So we can assume it was repainted around the date of that photo.

This film shows the loco (I am pretty sure it is the same one) in that livery at Morden in 1954. The shunter appears at around the 8-minute mark and shunts a mix of blue and silver tankers. This is interesting as I had thought that the blue livery was a pre-war thing but the tankers look to have been freshly painted.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-daily-round-the-story-of-milk-production-and-distribution-1954-online

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

So its powerful enough to shunt three loaded milk tankers then.

Barely! The standing joke was that this loco could not pull the skin off a rice pudding (which I guess shows what "in-jokes" are like if you work in the dairy industry :P ).

Interestingly, this rather fuzzy shot shows the same loco (or a very similar one) also worked the creamery at Chard in 1959. This is interesting as I thought Chard was a Unigate facility.

979356_orig.jpg

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 3