Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

26 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

Barely! The standing joke was that this loco could not pull the skin off a rice pudding (which I guess shows what "in-jokes" are like if you work in the dairy industry :P ).

Interestingly, this rather fuzzy shot shows the same loco (or a very similar one) also worked the creamery at Chard in 1959. This is interesting as I thought Chard was a Unigate facility.

979356_orig.jpg

That one is technically not a 48DS. It is a 44/48HP, in Ruston's classification scheme and pre-dates the 48DS. The cab and cab steps are different, and the wheel diameter was 3 ins. smaller than the 48DS. It's most probably W/n 186032, ex-works 3/4/1937, delivered new to Wiltshire United Dairies at Chard. That shot is interesting as I have a works photo of it on test in Lincoln and in a cream-coloured livery, with the Wilstshire United Dairies logo on the cab. It's clearly no longer in that livery here but it does appear to be lined. I seem to remember someone saying that it wasn't actually delivered in the cream livery, so perhaps that's true and it was repainted in the standard lined green before delivery.

If anyone can design and produce cab front, rear and sides, plus step etches it would be a nice and easy conversion of the Hornby 48DS (I'm sure we can ignore the slight difference in wheel diameter). I measured one up some years ago, and also have a drawing, if anyone is interested in producing these parts.

Edited by Ruston
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 08/01/2020 at 13:16, Stubby47 said:

A slightly re-worked Ruston...

blue_ruston_3.jpg.20c5bf3dc44a16019db5daab4a1085b9.jpg

Looks brilliant! 

Can't wait to see some of the other liveries people repaint the locos into!

Personally I've just stripped the Army branding from the MOD one, just looks like generic industrial now!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, OliverRowley said:

Looks brilliant! 

Can't wait to see some of the other liveries people repaint the locos into!

Personally I've just stripped the Army branding from the MOD one, just looks like generic industrial now!

What did you use to strip the branding off? T-Cut?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/12/2019 at 17:24, Porcy Mane said:

I've done three now. All but one fell off once the two screws had been removed. The screws enter two cast spigots on the cab floor that engage in matching recesses in the outer chassis block. The tight one had a bit of leverage help with a no. 17 wedge blade and upon inspection seemed to have an excess of paint on the cab bottom.

BUT  before attempting to remove the cab I first remove the front buffer beam moulding. This locks the  separate bonnet/cab assemblies in place  via the flange along the top of the buffer beam.

Happy Crumble,

P

Going back to the removal of cab and engine cover from the frames - do you have any pictures at all? I've got the chassis block out of another one, have removed the cab screws and still the cab won't part from the frames and engine cover and I can't see what's preventing it from coming away as it rattles now the screws are out and so is clearly not itself attached to anything anymore. Is the engine cover glued to the frame?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/01/2020 at 08:06, JohnR said:

I guess I'll have to wait another year for DS1169.... however, the Express Dairy model looks so cute, I think I will have to have one! At this rate I'll have a collection.

If you can repaint one in green, or remove lettering from a factory-finished green version, 247 Developments will sell you DS1169 plates. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Is the engine cover glued to the frame?

Coincidentally I've just DCC'd another two this morning. One was as you describe. I strip em out of curiosity. One bonnet was well glued one side only and the loose cab wouldn't release. There are eight spigots on the bonnet section. Four into the running plate & four into the cab front. I had to resort to a new Swan Morton 17 blade firmly pushing the corner of the blade between running plate and bonnet, right at the centre moulded joint line between the bonnet doors. Good glue as the paint came away with the bonnet. managed to keep the spigots/tabs intact and all then fell apart.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Coincidentally I've just DCC'd another two this morning. One was as you describe. I strip em out of curiosity. One bonnet was well glued one side only and the loose cab wouldn't release. There are eight spigots on the bonnet section. Four into the running plate & four into the cab front. I had to resort to a new Swan Morton 17 blade firmly pushing the corner of the blade between running plate and bonnet, right at the centre moulded joint line between the bonnet doors. Good glue as the paint came away with the bonnet. managed to keep the spigots/tabs intact and all then fell apart.

Thanks. I gave up on it as I thought I'd end up breaking something.

I've weathered this one to be in its original livery but faded, damaged and dirty after many years of service.

48dsweathering2-007.jpg.e2ba5b6ff81937b20f0fd3860aadd319.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

49 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Thanks. I gave up on it as I thought I'd end up breaking something.

I'll get some pix. A couple of phots will explain far better than my inane ramble above. It will probably be after the weekend though.

P

• Like 1

On 07/01/2020 at 09:14, Porcy Mane said:

No. Kapton is a bl**dy good heat insulator. NASA used it as thermal blanketing. It's long term use is questionable due to degradation over time under certain circumstances. It's properties have been a major contributory factor in a number of aircraft losses. Having said that we're just talking model railways here and I use it all of the time but when I've used it around decoders I tend to check it regularly for signs of singeing.

Didnt the US Air Force buy some Harriers and when they found out they had Kapton wiring the whole lot were grounded (some immediately on delivery) and then systemically stripped for spares for the earlier (non Kapton) aircraft, such was the lack of trust in the Kapton insulated aircraft.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/01/2020 at 22:46, Ruston said:

That one is technically not a 48DS. It is a 44/48HP, in Ruston's classification scheme and pre-dates the 48DS. The cab and cab steps are different, and the wheel diameter was 3 ins. smaller than the 48DS. It's most probably W/n 186032, ex-works 3/4/1937, delivered new to Wiltshire United Dairies at Chard. That shot is interesting as I have a works photo of it on test in Lincoln and in a cream-coloured livery, with the Wilstshire United Dairies logo on the cab. It's clearly no longer in that livery here but it does appear to be lined. I seem to remember someone saying that it wasn't actually delivered in the cream livery, so perhaps that's true and it was repainted in the standard lined green before delivery.

If anyone can design and produce cab front, rear and sides, plus step etches it would be a nice and easy conversion of the Hornby 48DS (I'm sure we can ignore the slight difference in wheel diameter). I measured one up some years ago, and also have a drawing, if anyone is interested in producing these parts.

Sounds like a job for Planet industrial's   

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 22:20, Karhedron said:

Barely! The standing joke was that this loco could not pull the skin off a rice pudding (which I guess shows what "in-jokes" are like if you work in the dairy industry :P ).

Interestingly, this rather fuzzy shot shows the same loco (or a very similar one) also worked the creamery at Chard in 1959. This is interesting as I thought Chard was a Unigate facility.

979356_orig.jpg

The loco at Chard carried the UD (United Dairies) logo. UD became part of, or was rebranded as, Unigate Creameries.

John

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ikcdab said:

I understand this is the Chard United Daries shunter, now resident at williton. 

20181002_134318.jpg

No, this is the one that Hornby are doing in the Grant Rail livery. When built this would have not had the enclosed cab and the windows are definitely non-standard. They were probably done in the ownership of Grant Lyon Eagre. The axle guards are also the early, cranked, type and so the Hornby model is going to be wrong.

32600977117_a901f4985b_b.jpg 

The above shows it in Grant Rail's livery, which Hornby are doing it in but without the windows and axle guards, it will be wrong for this loco. Grant Lyon Eagre had another 48DS that was a standard enclosed cab type, which, with slight alteration to the earlier Grant Lyon Eagre livery, would make an accurate model.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Ruston said:

No, this is the one that Hornby are doing in the Grant Rail livery. When built this would have not had the enclosed cab and the windows are definitely non-standard. They were probably done in the ownership of Grant Lyon Eagre. The axle guards are also the early, cranked, type and so the Hornby model is going to be wrong.

The above shows it in Grant Rail's livery, which Hornby are doing it in but without the windows and axle guards, it will be wrong for this loco. Grant Lyon Eagre had another 48DS that was a standard enclosed cab type, which, with slight alteration to the earlier Grant Lyon Eagre livery, would make an accurate model.

Maybe it's too early in the morning,  but I don't quite understand. The loco at williton we have always referred to as the United dairies shunter. I think it came to us in the late 1970s. I can't now remember. If that isn't right,  what is the origin of the williton loco?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Ruston said:

The first thing I would do is replace the flat wagon body with a hopper body. Is that a pump fitted to the hopper wagon?

23 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

Maybe it's too early in the morning,  but I don't quite understand. The loco at williton we have always referred to as the United dairies shunter. I think it came to us in the late 1970s. I can't now remember. If that isn't right,  what is the origin of the williton loco?

The one being produced by Hornby is the Express Daries shunter based at Morden.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

The one in your photo quite clearly has the works number painted on the side. It also has the unique cab, so it must be 200793. The photo that I posted above isn't mine (it's a link that posted itself as a picture) but I photographed this loco in GLE's plant yard, in Scunthorpe, in the 1990s. The Industrial Railway Society's 13EL hanbook (published 2003) lists it as still being in Scunthorpe at time of going to print, so either you're mistaken as to when it arrived at Williton, or you have had another 48DS there that did arrive in the 1970s.

As far as I'm aware, 200793 never worked for United Dairies. It was new to Wm. Evans, Old Mills Collieries at Radstock. Another thing about this one, and which without pre-cab rebuild photos I can't be certain of, is that it may actually have been a 44/48HP when new.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I’ve just got a copy of Railway Bylines volume 10, issue 9 from August 2005.

There’s  an article on Chard and a picture of the Ruston shunter at the United Daries, later Unigate factory in 1962.

The caption says: “From 1937 to 1987 the factory had its own diesel shunter which moved the bulk tank wagons to and from an exchange siding.  In 1962 the factory’s loco was 48hp Ruston & Hornsby four wheeler W/No.183062 which had come new to the site in 1937.  After being replaced by another Ruston & Hornsby circa 1974, it was saved for preservation by the West Somerset Railway.  It later went to the Gwili Railway where it was named Folly”

//Simon

Edited by Stentor
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3