Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

38 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Be very careful  with what you use to remove the paint as some will turn the glazing frosty. Best is something like T-cut applied with a cotton bud. It will leave very fine scratches but these can removed by coating with clear acrylic varnish. 

Thanks, I am going to return it I think as I think that's the simplest thing to do.

I aren't in a rush for it anyway as it's for a small heritage part of a layout I am planning to build.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/10/2020 at 16:51, Ruston said:

You did say to comment if there's any way you can improve the modelling so here's my two penn'orth. It's too shiny. For a dirty and weathered loco it needs to lose the shine. A blow-over with matt varnish, perhaps?

Danke!

I think a matt vanish and maybe a final going over with some kind of grey wash.

Thanks

Olly 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonhall said:

Umm, damage to top of boiler? - completely missing the chimney and dome by the look of things....

J

image.png.efa8978575c68d3d85f63229bb95a740.png

And available brand new from Rails of Sheffield for £64:50 and if your quick post free.

• RMweb Gold

I have a DVLR 'Jim" on pre-order via Hattons, do we have any updates yet as to whether delivery is likely to be roughly on-time (i.e.about now as announced) or delayed, posibly considerably, like two of my other current pre-orders? I don't mind if it is, although disappointing, but it helps gauge cash-flow to know when something like this is actually due.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 22/11/2020 at 13:48, john new said:

I have a DVLR 'Jim" on pre-order via Hattons, do we have any updates yet as to whether delivery is likely to be roughly on-time (i.e.about now as announced) or delayed, posibly considerably, like two of my other current pre-orders? I don't mind if it is, although disappointing, but it helps gauge cash-flow to know when something like this is actually due.

Having had a weird hit in a Hornby website search earlier saying it was in stock (my flawed search term perhaps) I contacted Hattons as I was puzzled I hadn't heard anything about my pre-order. They checked for me and are not now expecting the Jim DVLR version to be with them before August 2021. 

Been said umpteen times before but the release announcements for these products is a total farce, only a few weeks ago when the model, had it actually been coming, would have already been on the ship the delivery was still being quoted on Hornby's website as November/ December this year which Hornby either must have known was wrong or they aren't adequately kept up to date - do we assume (a) they just can't be a***d to keep customers reliably informed or (b) the Chinese production end has so much of an upper hand they are telling the UK end porkies?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, john new said:

Been said umpteen times before but the release announcements for these products is a total farce, only a few weeks ago when the model, had it actually been coming, would have already been on the ship the delivery was still being quoted on Hornby's website as November/ December this year which Hornby either must have known was wrong or they aren't adequately kept up to date - do we assume (a) they just can't be a***d to keep customers reliably informed or (b) the Chinese production end has so much of an upper hand they are telling the UK end porkies?

It could have fallen off that ship the other day? All sorts of accidents happen.

Also worth bearing in mind they could have made them and rejected them on QC grounds.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

It could have fallen off that ship the other day? All sorts of accidents happen.

Also worth bearing in mind they could have made them and rejected them on QC grounds.

Guessing you mean this one, I had missed it on the news. https://theloadstar.com/one-apus-stack-collapse-losses-expected-to-top-200m/  A definite oops tilt moment!

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, john new said:

Guessing you mean this one, I had missed it on the news. https://theloadstar.com/one-apus-stack-collapse-losses-expected-to-top-200m/  A definite oops tilt moment!

Yes that's the one! Or ONE...

Whilst it might be a complete stab in the dark and nowhere near on target, something is in them thousands of containers!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Butler Henderson said:

It would be a very misdirected container for Margate if was on that ship as it heading to Long Beach California

The report includes the following for route -

"The ONE Apus is deployed on THE Alliance’s FP2 North Europe-Asia-North America service...."

Therefore the next leg after the USA would logically have been back to Northern Europe to complete the circular round trip of N Europe - Asia - Panama Canal - USA - Europe. Having Chinese goods bound for Europe is therefore not an illogical inference, especially if the fireworks were stock intended for New Year's Eve.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, john new said:

"The ONE Apus is deployed on THE Alliance’s FP2 North Europe-Asia-North America service...."

Therefore the next leg after the USA would logically have been back to Northern Europe to complete the circular round trip of N Europe - Asia - Panama Canal - USA - Europe. Having Chinese goods bound for Europe is therefore not an illogical inference, especially if the fireworks were stock intended for New Year's Eve.

Not according to ONEs web site: FP2 starts at Southampton via Antwep, Hamburg and Rotterdam to Jeddah, Hong Kong and Long Beach, then north to Oakland and back via Hong Kong and Jeddah to Southampton.  

• Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

It would be a very misdirected container for Margate if was on that ship as it heading to Long Beach California

Yes, it was more an example of how something can end up being delayed at the last minute rather than any real expectancy that it could have been that ship.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, john new said:

The vessel looks too big to go through the Panama canal and is probably too big for the Suez canal as well.

• Informative/Useful 1

All good things including the containerisation of freight do have 'cons' especially as size of operation builds up.   Round the world shipping runs by sea give the 'economic' service whilst by air its the 'express' one - need say no more when it comes to how you put comparative value of goods in transit.   Our broadcasters have referred to the overloading this year of the UK container facilities (15% higher than norm) due to Covid-19 affecting different parts of the globe at different times for production of goods plus the rush to stockpile ahead of Brexit deadlines.   Felixstowe is said to be taking the brunt of this, however the extra capacity available at Thames Gateway still has to be taken up as that development comes fully onstream.   Foreseeing this huge problem the PLA set up its task force in the autumn to help the LO/LO and RO/RO operators on the Thames to help out each other where circumstances permitted.   Whilst incidences at sea are always occurring with loss of containers overboard, the present situation is a freight forwarders' worst nightmare and the recipients of their goods (worse if part load of a container) just have to be patient - I would not be surprised to find that all the staff at Kernow MRC (let alone at the big names) are bald!!!.        

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/10/2019 at 21:11, mozzer models said:

does this help

the gap between the frames is 21.3mm

48833761526_8086ed83f0_c.jpgIMG_20191002_210814 by brian mosby, on Flickr

On 05/10/2019 at 09:41, lippy said:

Anyone please tell me the wheelbase of these and the height of the motor inside the body. Lookig at the possibility of using it to power something else. 

On 03/10/2019 at 19:59, Porcy Mane said:

This may make things a little clearer regarding P4 clearances.

1709705425_48DS-Hornby-011013-EditSm.jpg.ddf9f28dba62ccc864868fc3a0efb8e5.jpg

P

Coming very late to this conversation (and prompted by a post on the new thread on the forthcoming Hornby 88DS) I note that the Scalefour Digest quotes the overall dimensions for P4 wheelsets as 19.53/19.75mm, so this conversion should work, but it will be tight.

I'm undecided whether to go for this or build the Judith Edge kit I bought a little while ago, but I think I would use AGW 4007 2’7½” 10.5mm plain disc ‘Lowmac’ wheels rather than the Branchlines because the AGWs are insulated. Perhaps it wouldn't make much difference, would depend on how Hornby have made their model.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I'm undecided whether to go for this or build the Judith Edge kit I bought a little while ago,

If you want a Ruston 48DS in it's later bashed-and-battered state then the Judith Edge kit will be easier with it's thinner reveal edges (sorry Mike about the pun!).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The Judith Edge kit has multiple advantages for the P4 modeller. It is compensated, has a HighLevel gearbox and Mike supplies the wheels on request. Mine can handle 6 wagons of mixed axle boxes (pin point and drop in conversion) with no problem. There are a number of "how-to build" threads available both here and on the Scalefour website.

IMG_0154.JPG.4dae6d4dd65c84a856452a0e4f414ad2.JPG

Cheers,

David

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

On a related topic, which websites are the most reliable for delivery dates? Hornby only seems to commit to a quarter whereas in reality I think they tell dealers a month. Hattons and Model Railways Direct seem to have months listed on items (although they do differ)

• Like 1

On 06/01/2021 at 00:52, davknigh said:

The Judith Edge kit has multiple advantages for the P4 modeller. It is compensated, has a HighLevel gearbox and Mike supplies the wheels on request. Mine can handle 6 wagons of mixed axle boxes (pin point and drop in conversion) with no problem. There are a number of "how-to build" threads available both here and on the Scalefour website.

IMG_0154.JPG.4dae6d4dd65c84a856452a0e4f414ad2.JPG

Cheers,

David

It's a lovely kit and you have made a great job of it but every one that I have seen built has the same basic error. The radiator grilles were never horizontal and vertical bars. They were expanded metal and so fitting it on the diagonal would look far better. The engine side cover rest strip, along the top of the bonnet is also absent from the kit. Minor points, come might say, but when you notice it, you can't unsee it and it detracts from an otherwise excellent kit.

I've got both the Hornby RTR and the Judith Edge kitbuilt 48DS and to my mind the best combination would be Hornby body on JE chassis and running gear.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/09/2019 at 20:06, Tim Hall said:

Has anyone fitted a driver yet?

Yes Tim, since you ask, it's very easy, as you can see. Removing the coupling bar was straightforward as well.

(In case anyone thinks I've lost the plot, I googled 48DS crew fitting and coupling removal on receipt of the loco yesterday, and it came up with my own question :scratchhead:). The driver looks less mutant in real life!

IMG_E3337.JPG

Edited by Tim Hall
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 10/01/2021 at 16:59, Spencer617 said:

Do we know when the next lot of 48s will come into stock a quick check on the Hattons website shows the express dairies not until August 2021! I thought it was meant to be this month?

No definite date yet apparently as to the new liveries.   I just bought the Army 802 from Kernow earlier today.  They have 2 left in stock and 9 of the Queen Anne.  New liveries listed are Jim, Grant Rail and Express Dairies, but all three showing as expected third quarter of 2021 and available to pre-order.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/11/2020 at 13:29, PhilJ W said:

And available brand new from Rails of Sheffield for £64:50 and if your quick post free.

Those went all too quickly.   I've been on the look out for a Hornby Ruston 48DH at a good price since first released, as there is a full size one  which I have occasionally driven on our local heritage railway.  Rails been out of stock for a few months now, but I finally bit the bullet and bought one from Kernow earlier today at £71.99 plus £4 postage.   They only have the Army and Queen Anne liveries in stock currently.

Edited by cessna152towser
grammar!
  • Like 1