Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

I decided milling in the lathe might be a tad OTT so I'm currently attacking the wheel arches with a series of diamond (I think) rotary cutting tools that came with my Faux Dremel (some supermarket or other!).  They are removing the excess metal but it's a slow job.  I've also tried a sharpened jewellers screwdriver to gouge out larger chunks but the rotary tool is still used to smooth off.

I decided that doing this allowed the sand pipes to remain in position, I can hold them out of the way during grinding.  Now I know that they can be pulled out it is an option if required.  They seem to be quite tough and able to withstand bending etc.

Hopefully photos to follow of the whole slow process, probably in a separate thread.

BTW, the roof has come away after a modicum of forceful behaviour - but there was no glazing!  I wonder if the previous owner removed it for his other project.  No problem in making a set of flush glazed windows in due course.

Edited by 5050
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

At the Uckfield exhibition today I purchased a Dapol milk wagon labelled Express Dairies to go with my like labelled 48DS. I also purchased a book on East London Railways within which was a picture of a 48DS used on the construction of the DLR painted orange and equipped with an amber flashing beacon. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2022 at 16:52, Kevin Johnson said:

Ordered my Hornby DVLR Ruston & Hornsby 48DS 0-4-0 Jim from Peters spares today. Looking forward to the loco arriving tomorrow. ;)

Received my little Jim well impressed with this little loco. Thanks to Peters spares. :good:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m seriously interested in buying one of the forthcoming BR Departmental 84 version of this model but am somewhat confused by the image on the Hornby website - it’s shown with a (to me) dodgy lining out scheme - having looked at the picture of the Rowntrees version, 84 appears to be in the same livery (with lining), less the Rowntrees decals and with the BR Civil Engineers etc added. A case of dodgy photo shopping perhaps? 

If 84 is in the correct livery I’m very interested to have one! 

edit - sorry - wrong thread - moved to the 88DS thread!

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Informative/Useful 2

33 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

A case of dodgy photo shopping perhaps? 

Maybe you'd be better off asking in the Hornby 88DS thread?

R3895 or R3896. That is the question?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Here is the almost finished loco, just a Ruston bonnet badge from Narrow Planet, driver and oil cans from Modelu3d to add. So far it was about an hours work. First step was an overall coating of acrylic black/brown, thats the pictures above, with some of the paint wiped off with a cotton bud. The pictures below, show the finished model with added rust, red oxide acrylic with reddish powders dabbed on top. Plus a rough mix of black/brown for the rest around the footplate etc. A small amount of pencil graphite was the applied to the centre of the buffers and cab steps. The whole loco was given a coat of Dulcote matt varnish and as it dried a few areas of powder touched in and the windows clean(but not to much!). Cabside logos came off easily using a small amount of Dettol on a cotton bud. 

Ruston roster shot pic2.jpg

Ruston roster pic1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

17 hours ago, sb67 said:

Very nice @w124bobHave you got a separate thread for how you did it? 

See above, I tend to get stuck in with new locos and as this is tiny (compared to a class40!) it didn't take long. Inspiration came from Flickr by searching "Ruston 48ds". I don't use an airbrush and this was done with just two colours, a close match to Humbrol black and no62 Tan/Leather. A mix of Mig powders to get the grime in the corners etc. The Dulcote tends to dilute the the powders nulifying some of the effect, but by touching in whilst its still harding(its touch dry in about 20mins)it's possible to keep the effects you want. I sometimes use artists oils as well, using card as a pallette draws out the oil. Image below shows a POA wagon done with oils.

Ruston and scrap wagon pic1.jpg

I take no credit for the layout, it's a module and part of a larger layout belonging to my local module railway club,Manchester Model Railway Society.

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't resist especially after finding an Army one for a ridiculous  price at a 2nd hand model shop on the local heritage railway. Wagons connector arm is  broken but it's not needed as I fit kadees and it looks like it was only fit for the spares bin anyway.

_DSC0600.JPG.dce06d12a6e6c3ac5d798b8a7822c4ad.JPG

Runs smoothly and slowly without any issues over all point work.. Just need a back story for why it keeps appearing in Tunstead Moor Sidings. Can't wait to weather it down.

_DSC0601.JPG.adbd23258402c6f2d17ccba199453c2e.JPG

By the way I never thought I would come across an engine where even a Kadee 18 is too big.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Ighten said:

Couldn't resist especially after finding an Army one for a ridiculous  price at a 2nd hand model shop on the local heritage railway. Wagons connector arm is  broken but it's not needed as I fit kadees and it looks like it was only fit for the spares bin anyway.

_DSC0600.JPG.dce06d12a6e6c3ac5d798b8a7822c4ad.JPG

Runs smoothly and slowly without any issues over all point work. Just need a back story for why it keeps appearing in Tunstead Moor Sidings. Can't wait to weather it down.

_DSC0601.JPG.adbd23258402c6f2d17ccba199453c2e.JPG

By the way I never thought I would come across an engine where even a Kadee 18 is too big.

A rail connected logistics depot? (off stage).

• 2 weeks later...