Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

Wow, what a surprise !

I am really looking forward for this tiny loco (as for the 0-4-0ST Peckett with the 'open' back of the cab).

With a few small locos already at hand this cries for a shunting plank now.

If only Peco would offer small radius Bullhead points soon...

Cheers

Dirk

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've pre-ordered one. I will be close coupling the match wagon and have it permanently attached to the locomotive, or possibly a proper shunters truck.

Looks like a job for one of those "brake pipes" that came with my Bachmann Mk1s - if I can remember where I stashed them :jester: .

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Years ago I was a photo in a book of one of these locos, I thought it would be nice to scratchbuild one. Never did get round to it! Don't need to now I hope the coupling between the loco and the wagon will be a bit closer together.

• RMweb Premium

A little bit more info on the BRM youtube vid.

It appears from what Howard shows that the loco and matchtruck both sockets on each end.

If you watch from 7:02 it shows the 48DS

Owen

• Like 2

....... I hope the coupling between the loco and the wagon will be a bit closer together.

If there is a NEM socket you (we) should be able to shorten the socket and the coupling. Plan B would be a bit of bent wire glued into the buffer beam and just use the 'hook' of whatever you couple up to.

• Like 2

Did Ruston have a standard, default, livery?

Is R3704 not near enough for you?

Perhaps you should try getting hold of Rustons, Ruston. Second hand copies do appear and still some new available from Titfield.

At last I can talk about this! I've known for over a year now.

Opportune moment for a reprint?

post-508-0-32161500-1546952482.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I think the idea of a "pickup wagon" is one that could usefully be extended to other small locos as a potential standalone product. The GWR shunters wagon would be an obvious candidate - maybe it's time for Hornby to re-tool their own version of that. And, as you say, a coal wagon or other generic flatbed wagon would be equally suitable.

It would, of course, require appropriate locos to be fitted with a "pickup socket" that the wagon can plug into. But, just as DCC sockets and NEM pockets are now standard, there's no reason why that can't be rolled out gradually wiith every new release. And it would probably be a relatively simple after-market conversion to add one in most cases.

I like your thinking.

Another use for the plug or socket could be for a electrical input to use when cleaning wheels on the locomotive

And of course could be either Analogue or DCC to suit

I think I should patent that idea

Eltel

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another use for the plug or socket could be for a electrical input to use when cleaning wheels on the locomotive

And of course could be either Analogue or DCC to suit

I think I should patent that idea

Eltel

:paint:  Billerbahn since the 50's  :jester:

• Like 1

It was a simple inquiry, not knowing the slightest thing about these locomotives (but having a Judith Edge kit in the cupboard).

It shows. Looks like you can't be ars$ed to do the simplest of research.

So I say again, was there a default colour that Ruston had?

So I say again, "Is R3704 not near enough for you?"  Look at the photographs in the link. Read the captions. You really are making out that you can't sum two plus two!

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

It was a simple inquiry, not knowing the slightest thing about these locomotives (but having a Judith Edge kit in the cupboard).

So I say again, was there a default colour that Ruston had?

Deep Bronze Green. Colour 224 in the old BS381c colour chart. But it did change to a lighter green, which I don't know the spec. of, later on. The lighter shade is what the enclosed cab fully-lined model appears to be in and would be right for the year of build.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was just a polite request, one of the advantages of a forum short cutting the full research ;)

He does have form for asking others to supply information he hasn't bothered to read/look at. ;)

• Like 1

It was just a polite request, one of the advantages of a forum short cutting the full research ;)

and then there are those who doggedly and persistently ask despite the answers being right in front of them.

Thank you Ruston for making it simple.

P

Edit (Crossed post with Andy Y)

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Deep Bronze Green. Colour 224 in the old BS381c colour chart. But it did change to a lighter green, which I don't know the spec. of, later on. The lighter shade is what the enclosed cab fully-lined model appears to be in and would be right for the year of build.

Thanks for that, most appreciated
  • Like 1