Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

He does have form for asking others to supply information he hasn't bothered to read/look at. ;)

Actually, I spend a good deal of my time at the TNA researching and when a matter that I have researched comes up on these threads I freely pass on the information I have. One of the constraints of life is that it's impossible to research everything on a topic as vast as the railways of Britain no matter who much time you spend in the TNA or the NRM. Also, one of the great virtues of subscribing to a forum like RMweb is that it puts you in touch with like minded people who are willing to share what they know. However, there is a downside, and this current conversation is, regrettably, one of them.

Was the Queen Anne Longmorn Distillery livery a preservation era one?

I have looked and found photographs at Strathspey in that livery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/killie65/39768304811

But the ones I've found at the distillery taken in 1977 aren't.

https://canmore.org.uk/site/16426/longmorn-distillery

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It wasn't until I was searching for pictures of these little things that I realised that some of them were still in commercial use well into the late 80s/early 90s, so almost anyone can justify buying one.

This picture is from 1989 although this one was still in use in the mid 90s!

30118142487_0e4429f693_b.jpg

Ruston Hornsby 48DS at Blackett Hutton & Co. Guisborough by Idle Drifter, on Flickr

This is from 1986.

24895305388_8790128f66_b.jpg

EBR10-026 by Jamerail, on Flickr

14807052421_fc19c90d5b_b.jpg

Type 48DS (RH 417889/1958) at Dollands Moor Yard when under construction. 1989. by Adrian Nicholls, on Flickr

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Was the Queen Anne Longmorn Distillery livery a preservation era one?

I have looked and found photographs at Strathspey in that livery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/killie65/39768304811

But the ones I've found at the distillery taken in 1977 aren't.

https://canmore.org.uk/site/16426/longmorn-distillery

Jason

Yes the 'Queen Anne' branding is post-preservation and the story of its restoration is here. The Longhorn distillery system would make an interesting model.

http://whiskyshunters.blogspot.com/

Dava

• Like 1

It wasn't until I was searching for pictures of these little things that I realised that some of them were still in commercial use well into the late 80s/early 90s, so almost anyone can justify buying one.

30118142487_0e4429f693_b.jpg

Ruston Hornsby 48DS at Blackett Hutton & Co. Guisborough by Idle Drifter, on Flickr

This is from 1986.

I wonder what the story behind the horseshoe was. 

• Like 3

Guest teacupteacup

I'll definitely be picking on of these up, cracking wee machine!

Hoping it will run well just on its own, confident it will though.  I have live frog-points and can get my Hornby Sentinel to crawl through them no problem

I'll repaint it into my chosen 'industrial green

Isn't it good to have the prototype manufacturer's poop sheet for a loco (P2 of this thread)?

I hope all potential purchasers have noted the maximum speed of 9mph! So that's an hour off the marathon record, and no clue to how long it would take to graft up to that exhilarating rate of progress, but I am prepared to believe most of a minute light engine on level track... That'll be CV3 set to at least 60 then.

• Like 1

Didn't foresee...

Don't need....

Must have!

A prototype question, if I may. What sort of haulage capacity would a real one have? I'm not expecting (or wanting too much), but with several private siding ideas churning around my mind at the moment I don't want to do something with too much traffic for such a small shunter. I can use my Sentinels for "busy" layouts, this needs, not a restful life, but less intensive plan. Or am I wrong?

I've towed a class 416 2-EPB down a slight incline with a 48DS before, and up a slight incline with 7 standard BR wagons, they're surprisingly strong. Running light they take off rather quickly!

I've towed a class 416 2-EPB down a slight incline with a 48DS before, and up a slight incline with 7 standard BR wagons, they're surprisingly strong. Running light they take off rather quickly!

Does anyone have any experience of their (sane) maximum speed LE?

(Although ultimately with the model I'm more bothered about seeing an answer to the question: Can It Shunt?)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is from 1986.

EBR10-026 by Jamerail, on Flickr

Type 48DS (RH 417889/1958) at Dollands Moor Yard when under construction. 1989. by Adrian Nicholls, on Flickr

Thanks for those photos. What superb reference material when it comes to weathering the locos!

Does anyone have any experience of their (sane) maximum speed LE?

(Although ultimately with the model I'm more bothered about seeing an answer to the question: Can It Shunt?)

Yes, the mechanism will have to be silky smooth and capable of sustained slow running (eg. 'walking pace').

• RMweb Gold

When I lived up north a neighbor used to maintain the Guisborough 48DS he always used to say pop down to see it but unfortunately never did.

I did see it a few times but no proper visit

What was remarkable was the site it was on had not been rail connected since 1964

There were two more 48DS that certainly worked into the late 1990s and may even have made it into the present century. They were used by contractors Grant Lyon Eagre and I photographed them in their plant yard, at Scunthorpe, in 1995. I saw one of them on a track laying contract at Bescot in something like 1999 or may have been 2000. I'm not exactly sure now.

Scroll down this post for a photo and for one of Trackwork Ltd. 48DS ,which has already been shown here in an earlier paint job. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28530-industrial-locomotives-in-the-late-80s-to-mid-90s/&do=findComment&comment=303217

• Like 2

There were two more 48DS that certainly worked into the late 1990s and may even have made it into the present century.

So when is the sound chip coming out?  Bl**dy HeII, I didn't realise it's out now.  To the engineering bench

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Looking at the manufacturers info sheet, its nice to see that R&H actually gave it an "R" number (R9618)  but Hornby didn't use it!

Also, it may have had a fully glazed cab, but no windscreen wipers and cab heating was an optional extra...

• Like 1

Digitrains already do sound for the 48DS. I went with Paul Chetter to record a loco , last year - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112221-the-ruston-48ds-class-a-rivet-counters-guide/page-3&do=findComment&comment=2733965

Me thinks we are cross posting with each other. Tiny gearboxes, belt drives & Nickel Silver sheet here I come.

• Like 2