Andy Y

Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Hornby have announced new tooling for the diminutive Ruston & Hornsby 48DS 0-4-0 to be supplied with matching flat wagon for optional additional pick-ups.

48DS 1.JPG

48DS 2.JPG

48DS 3.JPG

48DS 4.JPG

R3704 Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, R&H 48DS, 0-4-0, No. 269595 - Era 4 Due Date: May-19    RRP: £79.99

R3705 John Dewar & Sons, R&H 48DS, 0-4-0, No. 458957 - Era 8 Due Date: May-19    RRP: £79.99

R3706 War Department, R&H 48DS, 0-4-0, 'Army 802' - Era 4/5 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £79.99

R3707 Longmorn Distillery, R&H 48DS, 0-4-0, 'Queen Anne' - Era 7 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £79.99

The project is at an advanced stage with decorated samples shown at Margate in Dec 2018 with anticipated early summer delivery date.

48DSx4.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-111.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-112.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-113.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-114.jpg

• Like 17

...that'll do nicely...

At last I can talk about this! I've known for over a year now.

• Like 7

Thats a very fun offering :) will almost certainly partake

What a lovely surprise!

Bound to be popular and a winner for Hornby!

Hornby's own website indicates DCC ready.

I wonder if they have thought to make it so one of axles rock for better pickup?

Gordon A

• Like 3

They look great.

Excellent news; wallet on standby.

• Like 2

I wonder if they have thought to make it so one of axles rock for better pickup?

Gordon A

I am led to believe that the wagon has pick ups on it, too, and can be attached at either end.

• Like 1

I am led to believe that the wagon has pick ups on it, too, and can be attached at either end.

The wagon has pickups and is plugged in to the loco with a tiny 2-pin plug.

• Like 3

This one is just cute....I gotta have it just for the heck of it. PRE-ORDERED!

It's a good job i'm outside the QE Hospital, 'cos my jaw's in urgent need of surgical reattachment...

• Like 1

I trust DS1169 will follow one day ........

I hope so too.  It's good to see that Hornby are doing both varieties of cab.  Shame it's only recently that I acquired a kit which I was going to build as DS1169 - I shan't be doing this now!

Chris KT

Is there any indication of what DCC interface they are using? I sincerely hope Hornby will drop the proprietary 4-pin connection and go for a 6-pin one for these and their other small locos. I note that they have a 6-pin decoder in the range now.

It's a good job i'm outside the QE Hospital, 'cos my jaw's in urgent need of surgical reattachment...

Amazing - Hornby really appear to be trying to be King of the Industrials (although I'm also surprised the BR one isn't appearing in the first round). Wow.

I was expecting something larger would be next, and probably not from Hornby. If they've got the pick-ups totally backed-up out with the match wagon, it's fingers crossed on the mechanism. Coreless motor maybe?

They did it, the absolute madmen. I didn't quite believe it when I heard. As a fan of tiny locos and industrials, I will of course be getting one. I reckon it'll be a big seller, due to being the ultimate micro-layout loco, having a strong "cute" factor and complementing other industrial releases.

• Like 1

I trust DS1169 will follow one day ........

Not until I've built the kit I have, thank you very much!

Brilliant news otherwise.

Gordon - I'm sure we'll find a way to make one axle rock. I won't want to use mine with a match wagon if I can help it.

• Like 2

I hope it unplugs at the loco end too as I have electrofrog points and don’t really want to just chop it off.

Lovely selection though, how do you choose!!!!!

With this and the Peckett B4 there might be a few more industrial based shunting plank layouts in the pipeline.

All we need now are a few Manning Wardle tank locos from say another manufacturer.

• Like 1

I hope it unplugs at the loco end too as I have electrofrog points and don’t really want to just chop it off.

Lovely selection though, how do you choose!!!!!

I guess they are hoping you won't choose and will have all 4 !!!

I hope so too.  It's good to see that Hornby are doing both varieties of cab.  Shame it's only recently that I acquired a kit which I was going to build as DS1169 - I shan't be doing this now!

Chris KT

I've also built a kit of this one. And then re-built it. Still tempted though!

• Like 1

I wonder if they've thought of doing the same with the Caley Pug? Would be prototypical (with a coal load)