Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

BR had a Signal Works at Reading and their locomotive was a Ruston with BR number 20 in Departmental Stock listings.  Number 20 was still in service in the early 1970s, how close is the Hornby Ruston to BR number 20 of Reading Signal works?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pandora said:

BR had a Signal Works at Reading and their locomotive was a Ruston with BR number 20 in Departmental Stock listings.  Number 20 was still in service in the early 1970s, how close is the Hornby Ruston to BR number 20 of Reading Signal works?

That was a much larger 88DS locomotive.

Judith Edge do a kit for it.

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

nice model. bought one at, tested last night on club test track with setrack points and once it was run in, and track cleaned it ran very smoothly, very slowly across points, without extra wagon. Given the size of the loco, a smaller wagon, maybe a converted bogie would have been more appropriate.

Box deceiption says 'wagon works version', but some descriptions suggest  army, and badge does look like an army one?

• RMweb Gold
On 21/10/2019 at 22:55, PhilJ W said:

Apparently its the old Airfix/GMR lowfit fitted with pick ups.

I hope not; that's got the old generic chassis with moulded brake handles and the blocks out of line with the wheels...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I hope not; that's got the old generic chassis with moulded brake handles and the blocks out of line with the wheels...

I think it is.

But really for the price I wouldnt expect much more otherwise if they had tooled up another chassis/wagon to today's standards plus pickups which would have added a wagon price onto the RRP leaving it close to £100 which I reckon Hornby thought would put a load of people off. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

You're thinking of the old Mainline model. The Airfix one was better in this area.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

nice model. bought one at, tested last night on club test track with setrack points and once it was run in, and track cleaned it ran very smoothly, very slowly across points, without extra wagon. Given the size of the loco, a smaller wagon, maybe a converted bogie would have been more appropriate.

Box deceiption says 'wagon works version', but some descriptions suggest  army, and badge does look like an army one?

Are you absolutely sure that it says 'wagon works version' on the box? Mine says works livery, which is what it is, i.e. the livery applied in the RH works when new. The 'badge' is the Ruston & Hornsby crest/ coat of arms, or whatever the term is. See here - http://www.oldengine.org/members/ruston/Transfers.htm

Edited by Ruston
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Are you absolutely sure that it says 'wagon works version' on the box? Mine says works livery, which is what it is, i.e. the livery applied in the RH works when new. The 'badge' is the Ruston & Hornsby crest/ coat of arms, or whatever the term is. See here - http://www.oldengine.org/members/ruston/Transfers.htm

My box says "RUSTON & HORNSBY 48DS AND FLATBED WAGON WORKS LIVERY". Somewhat short on punctuation, a bit like "ten day old chicks".

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ruston said:

This one glimpsed here shunting the LowMac seems to be in the green 'standard' livery - 

I would have expected it to be blue if they had repainted it into their own livery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

This one glimpsed here shunting the LowMac seems to be in the green 'standard' livery - 

I would have expected it to be blue if they had repainted it into their own livery.

Haven't got any books to hand to check up, but I think Ransomes only had one shunter at their Nacton Works whilst it was rail served and it certainly ended up painted yellow.......

RSJ2.JPG.d07cdc77eefaca23ecbe087bc496c5ce.JPG

It is preserved and currently resides at Whitwell & Reepham after some time on the North Norfolk Railway......

DSCF2674.JPG.32570f1f755cc8fef3c72280ce108ee3.JPG

• Like 2