Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

5 hours ago, HillsideDepot said:

Thanks DeRails & DPD, my two Rustons are here! 

Just a quick lunch-break snap of the Army version testing out my new (very much still under construction) micro layout.

DSCN2955.JPG.48f424b269e6a79e5b10693d55a767bd.JPG

Nice pic, the layout looks intriguing, have you got a thread on it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, sb67 said:

Nice pic, the layout looks intriguing, have you got a thread on it?

Thanks. No thread, as yet, but I did take a few photos during the very early stages of the build, and plan to have one. The layout is all of 2 foot long, with just two points. Definitely a small layout, but ideal for a tiny Ruston.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HillsideDepot said:

Thanks. No thread, as yet, but I did take a few photos during the very early stages of the build, and plan to have one. The layout is all of 2 foot long, with just two points. Definitely a small layout, but ideal for a tiny Ruston.

2 foot? Brilliant! Nearly everyone could have a layout!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

2 foot? Brilliant! Nearly everyone could have a layout!

And the building of it will be great fun. Then, three months down the road, when the operating potential/enjoyment has been well-and-truly exhausted, they can build another one that'll do exactly the same....:jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

Then, three months down the road, when the operating potential/enjoyment has been well-and-truly exhausted, they can build another one that'll do exactly the same....:jester:

John

Or they’ll bring the government down for building tiny little houses with no room for a bigger layout. :jester:

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, cnw6847 said:

Has anyone fitted Kadee couplings to the loco?

Had a scan throgh but couldn't see anything.

What a great idea, I hadn't thought to do that. No. 18s should do the trick.  I wonder how many Pullmans it will shift, as they are the only stock I have fitted Kaydees so far!!!? I've got two of the wee locos, so double headed perhaps?

Tod

• Like 1

Depends on the curves that's its to go round in order to avoid buffer locking as to what Kadee fits and what suits one person may not suit another. However working on the back inside of the Kadee being in at least in line with the front of the buffers even the shortest NEM Kadee ( 17 ) is actually too big.

RH Kadee 17s.jpg

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Depends on the curves that's its to go round in order to avoid buffer locking as to what Kadee fits and what suits one person may not suit another. However working on the back inside of the Kadee being in at least in line with the front of the buffers even the shortest NEM Kadee ( 17 ) is actually too big.

RH Kadee 17s.jpg

Agreed, I have just tried an 18, the smallest I have at present, so I will get some 17s to try. Just a thought though, could N/009 versions be able to fit the pockets and still engage with the larger ones? Another thought (painful!), I have some of the original types that fit in drag boxes. I can have a go at modding the tail of one into a "fishtail". It might work or not, nothing to lose, but I am away for the Hols, so must wait until I return.

In the meantime, I may not have access to these pages, near the Cairngorms, so:-

May I wish you all the very best of Seasonal good wishes, good health and fortune. Let's hope that 2020 provides us many tempting goodies to spend our hard earned dosh on!!!

Best Wishes,

Tod

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 13:44, SweenyTod1 said:

Agreed, I have just tried an 18, the smallest I have at present, so I will get some 17s to try. Just a thought though, could N/009 versions be able to fit the pockets and still engage with the larger ones? Another thought (painful!), I have some of the original types that fit in drag boxes. I can have a go at modding the tail of one into a "fishtail". It might work or not, nothing to lose, but I am away for the Hols, so must wait until I return.

In the meantime, I may not have access to these pages, near the Cairngorms, so:-

May I wish you all the very best of Seasonal good wishes, good health and fortune. Let's hope that 2020 provides us many tempting goodies to spend our hard earned dosh on!!!

Best Wishes,

Tod

Mixing N and HO knuckles is a non-starter, the size difference is too big for there to be any chance of it working.

There are a couple of potential ways to achieve closer coupling using Kadees, but both involve losing the interchangeability of the NEM mount. I don't yet have a Ruston but both have worked for me on other models. 

1. Shorten the NEM pocket and the tail of the #17 coupler, then superglue the coupler into what remains of the box. Note that an indentation has to be filed into the end of the pocket to avoid fouling the rear pivot of a #17 coupler.

2. Remove the NEM pocket altogether and superglue the fishtail of a #20 (or possibly #19) Kadee directly to the dovetail the pocket normally fits into.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

Army 802 received on Monday.   Pity Hornby did not choose a number of the one of this class to have served at most UK depots but I am not changing the number!   Clearly 802 is one of the few photographed.   I am considering changing the Conflat body section for that from a shunters truck - yes the Army did have an ex-GWR one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, coline33 said:

Army 802 received on Monday.   Pity Hornby did not choose a number of the one of this class to have served at most UK depots but I am not changing the number!   Clearly 802 is one of the few photographed.   I am considering changing the Conflat body section for that from a shunters truck - yes the Army did have an ex-GWR one.

Do you have a photo of the army shunters truck? 

Alas Phil, I am not aware of the existence of a photo of ex-GWR shunter truck numbered 42111 and allocated to Long Marston.   This wagon should not be confused with a gun transporter wagon at Shoeburyness which had the same number but was derelict.   It maybe that its GWR number was kept.   Of the ten Ruston 48DS, 803 served at the greatest number of sites - seven including Long Marston.   Therefore, these are the numbers for this Hornby set if you replace the Conflat body by a Hornby shunters truck body - all in Army green.   The only one of the ten to work at Longmoor was 807 where it was named "Caen" but as to whether it was Army green or Longmoor blue I cannot see whether the livery was recorded.   Alas 802 only worked at one Army site which was Weedon.

• Thanks 1

For anyone just wanting to number the Conflat as an Army flat wagon, just keep to the AD 40xxx series but note that 40297/299/344 have roller bearing axle boxes.   With the Conflat chassis being similar to those under vans, then the following numbers are/were vans converted to known flats 40000-5/19/25/63/81/105/106.   40002 is ex-MR and now at Bo'ness as a crane truck, 40004 is currently at Bristol docks, 40019 was ex-LNWR and allocated to Long Marston, 40025/105 were ex-MR but allocation unknown.   Photos of 40002/4 in current condition can be found on the internet.   Trust this helps to give a little authenticity from a repaint to Army green. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chipmaster said:

If SweeneyTod1 can read this from near the Cairngorms, you would be very welcome to pop in and see the real Queen Anne, on the Strathspey Railway, especially now that the model is out. 

Sent from near the Cairngorms.

Thanks for that. As you can see, I have managed to sign in here.

I'm in Pitlochry and the family schedule pretty busy, so I doubt I can escape to venture up to Strathspey. A pity, but we visit family a couple of times each year. Hopefully it will still be there next summertime.

Cheers

Tod

• Like 1

Phil, I see Model Rail state that all new Mollies sold out by October, 2019, so there maybe a collector's premium on the secondhand ones from now on.   In view of some larger scale models of Molly being produced in Army green and numbered '1' as opposed to the colour of the un-numbered MR one, then possibly a repaint of any other MR Sentinel in green is in order.   Although there is a photo of Molly on the internet, the loco did not appear in the 1992 IRS book "Locomotives of the Ministry of Defence"   Therefore, I did not get one.     

• Thanks 1