Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

On 06/01/2021 at 00:52, davknigh said:

The Judith Edge kit has multiple advantages for the P4 modeller. It is compensated, has a HighLevel gearbox and Mike supplies the wheels on request. Mine can handle 6 wagons of mixed axle boxes (pin point and drop in conversion) with no problem. There are a number of "how-to build" threads available both here and on the Scalefour website.

IMG_0154.JPG.4dae6d4dd65c84a856452a0e4f414ad2.JPG

Cheers,

David

It's a lovely kit and you have made a great job of it but every one that I have seen built has the same basic error. The radiator grilles were never horizontal and vertical bars. They were expanded metal and so fitting it on the diagonal would look far better. The engine side cover rest strip, along the top of the bonnet is also absent from the kit. Minor points, come might say, but when you notice it, you can't unsee it and it detracts from an otherwise excellent kit.

I've got both the Hornby RTR and the Judith Edge kitbuilt 48DS and to my mind the best combination would be Hornby body on JE chassis and running gear.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/09/2019 at 20:06, Tim Hall said:

Has anyone fitted a driver yet?

Yes Tim, since you ask, it's very easy, as you can see. Removing the coupling bar was straightforward as well.

(In case anyone thinks I've lost the plot, I googled 48DS crew fitting and coupling removal on receipt of the loco yesterday, and it came up with my own question :scratchhead:). The driver looks less mutant in real life!

IMG_E3337.JPG

Edited by Tim Hall
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 10/01/2021 at 16:59, Spencer617 said:

Do we know when the next lot of 48s will come into stock a quick check on the Hattons website shows the express dairies not until August 2021! I thought it was meant to be this month?

No definite date yet apparently as to the new liveries.   I just bought the Army 802 from Kernow earlier today.  They have 2 left in stock and 9 of the Queen Anne.  New liveries listed are Jim, Grant Rail and Express Dairies, but all three showing as expected third quarter of 2021 and available to pre-order.

• Like 1

On 19/11/2020 at 13:29, PhilJ W said:

And available brand new from Rails of Sheffield for £64:50 and if your quick post free.

Those went all too quickly.   I've been on the look out for a Hornby Ruston 48DH at a good price since first released, as there is a full size one  which I have occasionally driven on our local heritage railway.  Rails been out of stock for a few months now, but I finally bit the bullet and bought one from Kernow earlier today at £71.99 plus £4 postage.   They only have the Army and Queen Anne liveries in stock currently.

Edited by cessna152towser
grammar!
  • Like 1

On 22/11/2020 at 13:48, john new said:

I have a DVLR 'Jim" on pre-order via Hattons*, do we have any updates yet as to whether delivery is likely to be roughly on-time (i.e.about now as announced) or delayed, possibly considerably, like two of my other current pre-orders? I don't mind if it is, although disappointing, but it helps gauge cash-flow to know when something like this is actually due.

Four full months on since I made this post and it is still outstanding. It is the modern way of things but extremely unsatisfactory from a customer perspective. There are acceptable delays and taking the p**s. The money is put aside, Jim if he ever does turn up will be welcomed, but I am not holding my breath for either this or the more recently announced Rowntree livery (also pre-ordered in hope rather than expectation). Hornby have gone down in my estimation through this prolonged failure to supply and failure to inform the customer.  My Oxford & TMC pre-orders also long overdue but they have at least occasionally announced something on the progress (or lack of it) on the model.

When I was working in IT this type of product was often called vapour ware or brochure ware! 

*Edit - I did have, but the pre-order got cancelled! I sometimes wonder why we bother with new stuff, so much hassle?

Edited by john new
As above.
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...

Having picked up the army 802 Ruston recently I set about taking it apart ready for a repaint and renumber into DS1169. Even though people have mentioned how the body comes off I don’t remember seeing the cab disassembled so thought I’d post my progress so far.

A54F360E-9AEC-4D2F-91BB-84D5D2ECFDA5.jpeg.44d3da4e24cdd5c06bc0c25fdcd29c29.jpeg

The body unscrews at the cab then the bonnet and cab separated easily. The buffers could be removed by simply pulling them out.

I wanted to take it to pieces to give me a easier job removing the wasp stripes and not leave ghosting on the surface.

B49578F6-DDDE-4A85-BAEF-E96650F93B99.jpeg.623c9ee5ed3ea44364fba55fe4b1a47f.jpeg

Gentle prising with a scalpel removed the cab roof and glazing and now the body parts are having a Dettol bath. I already have some plates on order from 247 Developments but wanted to check what people have used for chipping it up.

Is  the Gaugemaster DCC93 a suitable chip to go for (before I buy one)?

OliverSR

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well done, Oliver.   Another prototype that could result from your method is that of "CAEN" which because of its size lasted for a very long time on the Longmoor Military Railway as best suited to training army railmen on crane lifting of locomotives.   A drawing and photos of "CAEN" appear on page 697 of "Longmoor Military Railway - Part 3".   I thought this would have been a good candidate for Hornby to release.   Colin.

• Like 1

Further to my previous post, could I ask as many as possible to lobby Hornby to do an early release of CAEN in Longmoor blue.   My WD 802 is a superb runner and shunter on its own.   PAL3 is the number given to its Conflat 'runner' but is meaning less.   Alas I can find no record of the army ever purchasing Conflats from BR.   So best if the Conflat 'runner' to CAEN be decorated as a BR Conflat in their normal way.   Please can the message to lobby get out to as many military railway interested folk as possible.   Colin.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OliverSR said:

Having picked up the army 802 Ruston recently I set about taking it apart ready for a repaint and renumber into DS1169. Even though people have mentioned how the body comes off I don’t remember seeing the cab disassembled so thought I’d post my progress so far.

A54F360E-9AEC-4D2F-91BB-84D5D2ECFDA5.jpeg.44d3da4e24cdd5c06bc0c25fdcd29c29.jpeg

The body unscrews at the cab then the bonnet and cab separated easily. The buffers could be removed by simply pulling them out.

I wanted to take it to pieces to give me a easier job removing the wasp stripes and not leave ghosting on the surface.

B49578F6-DDDE-4A85-BAEF-E96650F93B99.jpeg.623c9ee5ed3ea44364fba55fe4b1a47f.jpeg

Gentle prising with a scalpel removed the cab roof and glazing and now the body parts are having a Dettol bath. I already have some plates on order from 247 Developments but wanted to check what people have used for chipping it up.

Is  the Gaugemaster DCC93 a suitable chip to go for (before I buy one)?

OliverSR

A Zimo MX617N should just plug in. I've found them to be better than the Gaugemaster stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Pleased to say I have now finished my repaint into DS1169.

C287123E-7A7A-4EB2-B1E2-CCD667A2EBED.jpeg.5673b2e426afb5fb4c4f080772624159.jpegF0DC3FB3-D86F-4CAB-B3F1-C6852B1F8192.jpeg.b8b9f177e786b7b70ed5b69b316cd9a8.jpeg

The bonnet piece went back to plastic with a soak in Dettol however the cab wasp stripes was a bit more stubborn so I resorted to paint stripper back to bare metal on it. This is all so I don’t have wasp stripes showing though when I repainted it.

A5F64212-D22F-4682-83A6-0EB6F25ACF3C.jpeg.fc78344bfdc535f93a9e9f955614e531.jpeg
It was brush painted with Humbrol 151 on the body and Plastikote insignia red on the bufferbeams. Then the glazing and detailing parts removed earlier were glued back on. The loco was Finally finished off with the 247 Developments numbers and I’m very pleased with the results. I don’t plan on weathering it as I prefer a pristine(unrealistic for sure) look on my models.

OliverSR

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Please forgive me if this has been brought up before, but I'm curious. 

I'm pondering whether I can excuse a Longmorn Distillery 'Queen Anne' 48DS to shunt some 'whiskey wagons' on a small layout (yes I know - I've probably answered my own question there :D !) Whilst looking to see what's still about I discovered that EKMexhibitions have one for sale at an attractive price on which the large side advertisements have been tampo-printed directly onto the bonnet side panels, which means the louvres and catches all show through. It also looks a bit dusty, is missing the cab end bufferbeam coupling hook and has an odd-looking white plastic autocoupler at that end. Knowing that EKM claim to have contacts within Hornby from their East Kent Models days, could this be the original R3707 livery sample which led to the adoption of the flat panels for the large side advertisements on the main production run?

PS If I'm right that must be it in the 'gang of four' front 3/4 views in Andy Y's first post (unless there was more than one of course) - the side-on images appear to show a CGI'd separate ad panel so there must have been a quick decision that it didn't look too good as supplied!

Edited by Neil Phillips
Added the PS....
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1