Hornby - New tooling - 57' Bow-ended suburban coaches

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Wasn’t it the roof vents were on the right hand side or left hand side of the 1st class?

AFAIK the handedness of the vents was irrespective of class, and I have no idea why it was done at all.  There are people with a much greater degree of erudition in the matter that have no idea, either, so I am not particularly bothered by this, but it would be nice to know a reason just as a matter of curiosity.  

I can see the point of handing corridors, of course, especially for designs that retained the door into each compartment on the compartment side.  It is much more convenient at platforms to have the all the corridors on the side away from the platform, not that this was ever bothered with much in practice, and in any case there are few routes where all the platforms are on the same side of the train on railways other than the Talyllyn and Glasgow underground.

• RMweb Premium

if I wanted to make up a 5 or 6 carriage set, given there are no 3rd's, would I be better off with an extra comp, or Brake 3rd? I realise there was probably no set rule, or indeed might never had happened - I can't get 8 carriages into Henley!

if I wanted to make up a 5 or 6 carriage set, given there are no 3rd's, would I be better off with an extra comp, or Brake 3rd? I realise there was probably no set rule, or indeed might never had happened - I can't get 8 carriages into Henley!

GWR practice was simply to hang an appropriate additional coach or two on the back. Usually a completely different design. Until broken up in the 1950s these coaches seem to have stayed in their sets.

Possibly, but some of the later flatenders had the longer 9' Collet bogie so the bogie mount would be in the wrong place.  Some bowenders were built with this bogie as well.

Hornby's 57ft bow ends came out in 1927/29 and the S. Wales 5-sets in the same style in 1928/29 plus two 'B' sets.  Preceding them in 1925/26 were 57ft bow ends (mainly 4-sets) on 9ft fish belly bogies.

Following them in 1930-32 were 60ft bow ends with recesses behind the door handles  but still on 7ft bogies (as per the Airfix/Hornby 'B' set).  In 1933 was one 60ft bow end diagram, ie the E145 'B' set, which ran on 9ft plate bogies.

1934/35 saw the first flat ends since 1924, mainly 57ft but thirds were 55ft 3in. These were on 9ft pressed steel bogies.

More similar vehicles followed 1937-1940 but these had deeper windows and a lower waist line compared to preceding stock.  BT & BC were 57ft but T was 55ft 3in, C was 59ft 3in and F was 57ft 2in. 

I've cited length over body corners above; bow ends added 1ft 2.5ins.

Chris KT

The next non-corridors were the 63ft Hawksworths from 1947 on.

Chris KT

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for this clarification, Chris; it's a complex subject!  I'm currently half way through building a Comet flatend Collett 55 foot 3rd, diagram C65/75, which has 9' plate bogies; I was hitherto unaware of the previous 9' fishbelly bowenders!  Presumably the Hawksworths shared underframes and bogies with the gangwayed stock, but they are academic as AFAIK nobody even makes kits for them.

I will be building a Comet flatended B set as the Airfix B set I have is not correct for my location (central Glamorgan valleys from Bridgend) and needs to be retired.  The new Hornby coaches are not strictly accurate either, but are a less unlikely Rule 1 solution than the Airfix B set.  The Comet coaches are correct, and I will be indulging in an A44 'cyclops' auto trailer as well.  

Thanks for this clarification, Chris; it's a complex subject!  I'm currently half way through building a Comet flatend Collett 55 foot 3rd, diagram C65/75, which has 9' plate bogies; I was hitherto unaware of the previous 9' fishbelly bowenders!  Presumably the Hawksworths shared underframes and bogies with the gangwayed stock, but they are academic as AFAIK nobody even makes kits for them.

I will be building a Comet flatended B set as the Airfix B set I have is not correct for my location (central Glamorgan valleys from Bridgend) and needs to be retired.  The new Hornby coaches are not strictly accurate either, but are a less unlikely Rule 1 solution than the Airfix B set.  The Comet coaches are correct, and I will be indulging in an A44 'cyclops' auto trailer as well.  

Bill Bedford produces Hawksworth  non corridor sides for a 3rd

BCK2024S GWR Hawksworth D.C83 T

http://www.mousa.biz/fourmm/coach/sides/GWR/hawksworth_sides4.html

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Bill Bedford produces Hawksworth  non corridor sides for a 3rd

BCK2024S GWR Hawksworth D.C83 T

http://www.mousa.biz/fourmm/coach/sides/GWR/hawksworth_sides4.html

Mike Wiltshire

This is very interesting, and the thought instantly occurs that this would be much more useful on my layout than the Hornby Hawksworth BG I already have but rarely use.  Some of the ventilators are already missing on this (which was why it was in the cheap bin in the first place), and I'd have to make up my own ends and inferior interior, but...

• RMweb Gold

I'm already blown out this month; Comet C65/75 and an unexpected 56xx, so it's probably just as well that the GW liveried versions are coming out first and my bank account may have recovered sufficiently for a pair of BR liveried coaches, Brake 3rd and Composiite, for Cwmdimbath.

But all credit to Hornby for being so very quick off the mark with these, or to put it another way managing to keep them under wraps for most of their development.