Hornby - New tooling - 57' Bow-ended suburban coaches

Andy Y

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

The handrail issue on mine is a shame; this is otherwise a near perfect model.  .....This was not visible in the shop with the coach in the box.

Sorry - but the solution is evident; take the model out of the box and examine it BEFORE parting with your money, let alone leaving the shop.

I can understand the frustration of customers forced to use mail order, but if you choose to make a four hour / four bus journey in order to collect your model, surely five minutes devoted to examining it is not time wasted?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

Salisbury Model Centre will take any model out of the box before handing it over, as a matter of course.  He will even ask if you would like to see it running on the shop layout.

NB.  He will, of course, leave it in the box if requested to do so.

Regards

Julian

• RMweb Gold

I have always insisted on this with locos, and want to see them running as well, but have never felt the need with coaches.  You are quite right, though, Mr Isherwood sir; I will certainly be checking the replacement before leaving the premises, and with the increased complexity of modern hi-fi models with many separate components, will make it a habit, wagon as well!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

W 5508 W is now replaced by a fully handrailed coach, and I am happy with it.  I have close coupled the 2 coaches and the set is now 'in service'; I plan a session later during which I'll dull the buffer heads and the wheels.  Nothing much more to do to these coaches, which are superby; maybe some passengers in time and a little very light weathering.  W 5508 W is running with W 6630 W's first class end adjacent to it's non-brake end, to emphasise the point that these are coaches from a broken up 4 coach set.

Hornby's crimson livery is a little darker than my painted version of it, but I think I can live with this; paint faded in service anyway.  The finish is excellent, especially the very subtle sheen of the ends.

Hello Johnster,

If I send you a piccie, do you think you might identify the stock and the loco seeing as you have the coaches in front of you?

I know where the picture was taken but I have not much idea of the stock. I think it's a Prairie or an 0-6-2T with five Colletts in tow.

I can't post the picture here as it's probably copyrighted but if you say 'ok', I'll PM you.

Cheers,

Philip

PS: If you concur with my guess, it looks as if your local emporium will be receiving an order too! (Just hope he doesn't send me the one you sent back  ;)!)

Edited by Philou

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Philou said:

Hello Johnster,

If I send you a piccie, do you think you might identify the stock and the loco seeing as you have the coaches in front of you?

I know where the picture was taken but I have not much idea of the stock. I think it's a Prairie or an 0-6-2T with five Colletts in tow.

I can't post the picture here as it's probably copyrighted but if you say 'ok', I'll PM you.

Cheers,

Philip

PS: If you concur with my guess, it looks as if your local emporium will be receiving an order too! (Just hope he doesn't send me the one you sent back  ;)!)

I'll give it a go, Philou.  A 5 coach set of Collett non-gangwayeds is probably a South Wales Valleys train, and a 56xx or 5101 would be likely pulling it.  These are slightly different diagrams to the 4 coach London and Birmingham Division sets modelled by Hornby, made up B3/3/compo/3/B3, specifically designed for South Wales use where the length of the 5 coach sets was suitable for most of the platforms.  The general profile and appearance of the coaches was identical, though  The proportion of first to third class accommodation was less; I believe some of these sets may have been allocated to Bristol Division as well

My 2 Hornby Colletts are intended to represent survivors of broken up sets that have migrated to South Wales; some did in reality but I have no idea of actual running numbers.  I am quite comfortable using them on Cwmdimbath, though!  

Edited by The Johnster
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, The Johnster said:

W 5508 W is now replaced by a fully handrailed coach, and I am happy with it.  I have close coupled the 2 coaches and the set is now 'in service'; I plan a session later during which I'll dull the buffer heads and the wheels.  Nothing much more to do to these coaches, which are superby; maybe some passengers in time and a little very light weathering.  W 5508 W is running with W 6630 W's first class end adjacent to it's non-brake end, to emphasise the point that these are coaches from a broken up 4 coach set.

Hornby's crimson livery is a little darker than my painted version of it, but I think I can live with this; paint faded in service anyway.  The finish is excellent, especially the very subtle sheen of the ends.

Collected mine from the same emporium this morning and also a 4575 Prairie in weathered black! Peter checked the handrails for me.

How will you dull the buffer heads and wheels please John?

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Danemouth said:

Collected mine from the same emporium this morning and also a 4575 Prairie in weathered black! Peter checked the handrails for me.

How will you dull the buffer heads and wheels please John?

Cheers,

Dave

I will apply a coat of acrylic matt varnish, followed by acrylic matt black and a bit of weathering gunge mix.  I'm thinking that a dab of matt varnish might be useful on the handrails as well, as they seem to catch the light a bit.  I am also eventually going to be putting a bit of weathering gunge on the underframe, bogies, and roof.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/03/2019 at 11:20, Ian Hargrave said:

There is one respected member of this forum ( among many) who has tried to convey this to Simon K .He is sill foaming at the mouth after the exchange as he will tell you. I have a more sanguine view of this. I really don’t think that there is anything Hornby are able to do about it.Currently,I don’t think they are in a position to do so.

Simon "there's nothing wrong with the wheels on the Star bogie" K?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 19:38, 57xx said:

Simon "there's nothing wrong with the wheels on the Star bogie" K?

If you have a Star with the wrong wheels on the front bogie email them a polite note that you would like them replaced with some off a Castle, they replaced 3 sets for me, don't get involved with SK he is very ignorant when it comes 

to some-one telling him thing are wrong he doesn't want to know I found this out with by personal contact with him at a show.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I had my BR set running on the club layout tonight, and was very pleased with them despite the disparity in detail with the crude old Hornby 61XX which spent the most time at the head of them; roll on the new version! The coaches are light and free running, so won't tax the mechanisms of smaller GWR types. The bow ends and brake end windows also give a nice distinctive look to the end of a train moving away from you compared to flatter ended vehicles.

I don't think anyone's said about close coupling these yet. If so, those who are interested should note that Roco close couplings are too close, whereas the Hornby ones which are included do a perfectly adequate job of getting coaches together. You may be able to get them practically buffer to buffer with a mix of Roco and Hornby couplings, but then you might run the risk of derailments depending on your curve radii.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

They are a massive visual improvement over the old Airfix B set, and I'd worked my B set up a bit over the years including repainting it into crimson rather than Airfix's odd purple livery.  Part of this improvement is indubitably down to the more realistic close coupled effect between coaches achieved by the Roco type couplers, the first time I've used these and I'm very impressed.  With a setrack 4th radius on the fiddle yard approach, I doubt I could get them much closer; the inner buffers just touch on this curve.  

The bogies are little gems in their own right, the best RTR bogies I've ever seen, and I reckon Hornby could make a few honest bobee by knocking them out as separately available items.  The coaches are a new high for RTR on my layout; separate grab rails are very effective in certain lighting conditions and all that is really needed to bring this up to the best kit or scratch build standards is separate door handles (available in the Comet range from Wizard).  

Does anyone know what the end steps and roof handrails were for?  It suggests that there was a need for someone to go up there on a regular basis while the coaches were in service, and as there are no header tanks or anything to be filled up there on suburbans I cannot think what it might have been.  Another mystery to add to that of the handed ventilators.

Some guidance to what was written on the destination boards (I assume this is what the other pieces in the close coupling bags are, as there are roof mounting brackets for them moulded on) would be handy for those intending to represent the correct Birmingham or London area 4 coach sets as well.

1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

The end steps and roof handrails were used for fitting the destination boards on corridor coaches.

And for filling the roof mounted water tanks, especially on diners that also needed drinking water as the tanks were in the middle of the coach on some diagrams.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Indeed, but these are non-gangwayed water suburban stock with no toilets or catering facilities.  The lamp irons were accessed by standing on the buffers unless there was a handy platform. 

Maybe the end steps were so they could easily check the roof vents were all properly lined up in a handed set?!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2