Hornby - New tooling - 57' Bow-ended suburban coaches

Andy Y

On 22/06/2019 at 07:59, Ian J. said:

This one? https://www.xrite.com/hue-test

Edit: the more difficult one as well: https://xritephoto.com/cool-tools#

According to both I have a score of zero, which means perfect colour vision. However I know I have a tiny difference in colour accuity in each eye, as others above have mentioned.

I did the hue test and got a perfect score so I guess that’s not the reason I seen brown on my autocoaches and green on my corridor coaches. Granted it is an army fatigue green and not a match for GWR locos. 

• 1 month later...

Had a set of these arrive yesterday. (Snuck them into the house today whilst the G/F was out)

Couldn't resist a set at £29 a pop (no VAT) from Model Railways Direct.

Great underframe detail and excellent overall finish!

Very pleased.....now just gotta explain why we can't afford to eat for the next month or so.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, lofty1966 said:

Had a set of these arrive yesterday. (Snuck them into the house today whilst the G/F was out)

Very pleased.....now just gotta explain why we can't afford to eat for the next month or so.

That would be the bargain of the year. :yes:

I assume £29 per vehicle.

1 hour ago, lofty1966 said:

In my experience - sneaking models into the domestic abode to avoid awkward questions is not the way to develop a trusting relationship.

Just my two pen'north, given in the light of past events.

.... but what do I know?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

In my experience - sneaking models into the domestic abode to avoid awkward questions is not the way to develop a trusting relationship. 

Fairs fair. Women do it with shoes all the time. 

“Are those new dear?”

“No I’ve had them for ages” (said with fingers crossed behind back) 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Just my two pen'north, given in the light of past events.

.... but what do I know?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'm on a strict no models order...but I had to grab them while they were cheap, honest Guv'

10 minutes ago, lofty1966 said:

I'm on a strict no models order...but I had to grab them while they were cheap, honest Guv'

..... and when she finds out - as she inevitably will ?? Some people must like living dangerously.

Think about it - if there are no secrets, there's no dangerof being caught out. If you can tell us .... what's the problem?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

..... and when she finds out - as she inevitably will ?? Some people must like living dangerously.

Think about it - if there are no secrets, there's no dangerof being caught out. If you can tell us .... what's the problem?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Supplier of transfers and relationship advice.

Is there no end to your talents John?

I'll keep my secrets to the grave, it's safer that way !

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

Supplier of transfers and relationship advice.

Is there no end to your talents John?

I'll keep my secrets to the grave, it's safer that way !

Lofty,

Normally, I would not dream of commenting on personal relationships - but you chose, some time ago, to share here the details of how your previous relationship had broken down. Given that your ex-partner commandeered your model collection, it would not be unreasonable to infer that, amongst the causes, was excessive / secret spending on model railways.

I was merely offering friendly advice to the effect that a repetition of such practices is likely to lead to relationship failure once again. Apparently, you have given your girlfriend an undertaking not to spend money on models - yet you openly admit to breaking that undertaking; so much for trust and commitment!

I prefer not to broadcast the details of my (happy) relationship with my wife, and thereby I do not invite public comment.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm completely upfront about my model railway stuff. Mrs Smith knew full well what she was getting into. 

She also knows I will buy the odd nick-nack from time to time. The suburban coaches will arrive, sometime next year when the shed is/are able to accept them. Likewise, the large prairie.

Have a great weekend, folks.

Ian.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Likewise, I'm upfront with the squeeze.  There are no problems apart from an occasional raised eyebrow of the 'how much; you must be mad' sort.  She accepts that it's my money and my hobby.  But if you have agreed not to buy stuff and. then reneged on the agreement, chances are she's gonna notice 4 extra coaches unless you own a very large amount of stock.  Relationships depend on mutual trust more than anything else, and she'll not react well, especially if she feels that she's been let down by previous relationships.

This is none of our business and you are more than entitled to tell us where to go with our advice, and good luck to you if you get away with it because your layout's in a shed or an attic which she does not go to.  Have to say that I'd have been tempted at less than £30 a coach, but I'm not in your situation.  If money's tight, or you're saving for something jointly, you are not really being fair to her IMHO.  

Next year, I'll be spending £125 on a new Baccy 94xx, perhaps more if they increase the price in the meantime.  I've heads upped her about this and she is fully on board, but it will be the single biggest amount of money I've ever spent on the railway and I am an impoverished pensioner living on a small fixed income in rented accommodation, and it'll hurt me, and therefore us, in the pocket.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I understand that the packaging people at Margate are now packaging models in 'unfriendly' branding, such as Compacted Grease, or House Mite Repellent, or Dog Poo cleaner.

" Just off to the shed Dear, the 4mm Spaghetti Strainer has arrived..." 

• Funny 4

5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Lofty,

Normally, I would not dream of commenting on personal relationships - but you chose, some time ago, to share here the details of how your previous relationship had broken down. Given that your ex-partner commandeered your model collection, it would not be unreasonable to infer that, amongst the causes, was excessive / secret spending on model railways.

I was merely offering friendly advice to the effect that a repetition of such practices is likely to lead to relationship failure once again. Apparently, you have given your girlfriend an undertaking not to spend money on models - yet you openly admit to breaking that undertaking; so much for trust and commitment!

I prefer not to broadcast the details of my (happy) relationship with my wife, and thereby I do not invite public comment.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I hear you John.

You are indeed correct,  I should come clean but for the sake of peace, I'll keep my silence!

I’ve been thinking of buying these coaches for a while, but have been tempered by the odd SWMBO comment about recent spends; so I’ll hold on a while. BUT, when the time comes, I shall hold the moral high ground by pointing out that she spends money on smoking, which is a COMPLETE waste in my eyes. I’m off to ‘breathe more brave’—- shall tell you when I’ve bought some. Dai

• Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, 88D said:

I’ve been thinking of buying these coaches for a while, but have been tempered by the odd SWMBO comment about recent spends; so I’ll hold on a while. BUT, when the time comes, I shall hold the moral high ground by pointing out that she spends money on smoking, which is a COMPLETE waste in my eyes. I’m off to ‘breathe more brave’—- shall tell you when I’ve bought some. Dai

Just bought some.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Fackin 'ell,  I didn't expect the Spanish inquisition for "losing four coaches into the system"

Now if I spent £120 on fags and booze or went down the Bookies would anyone raise an eyebrow?

I'm somewhat amused/bemused by the furore.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

Fackin 'ell,  I didn't expect the Spanish inquisition for "losing four coaches into the system"

Now if I spent £120 on fags and booze or went down the Bookies would anyone raise an eyebrow?

I'm somewhat amused/bemused by the furore.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A quick question to the more  knowledgeable members regarding these lovely coaches, sorry if his has been asked before, but if so l ve been unable to find it!

Having read through most of this thread, I understand that these new Hornby coaches are not to the same diagram as the 7mm Lionheart 4 coach sets. However l  was wondering if additional brake coaches were produced to be use as strengtheners to existing rakes or as single coaches where required.

I suspect from what l ve read so far, that they were only made as sets, remaining as such in the early part of their lives, only being broken up in later years?

The reason l ask is that l could have a use for a single brake coach as an alternative to an autocoach  circ 1931-34

Many thanks in advance

Bob C

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Isn't the Lionheart, now Dapol, 7mm model an E129 2 coach B set of matching Brake Composites?  The Hornby suburbans are to the same style as this, being Collett coaches from around the same period, but are a different internal layout and include non-brake composites and all third brakes.  A B set is a pair of brake composites with the brake ends marshalled outwards; each contains 1 first class compartment so that one can be non smoking.  The E129s, also modelled in 4mm by Airfix and common on 'Bay, also had small 'inward end' buffers and were permanently coupled with a bar coupling.

Some B set coaches of other diagrams were split and worked as individual coaches, especially in the West Country, but not until BR days. Diagram E116, a K's plastic kit if you can find one, was used in this way.  The E129s were permanently coupled in fixed sets throughout their working lives, so you can't really get away with one running singly at any time.  Moreover, a composite substituting for an auto trailer would not be used so long as a brake 2nd was available.  E129s had recessed guard's doors.

The Hornby Collett suburbans were built and ran as 4 coach sets for the London and Birmingham areas, marshalled BT-C-C-BT; some worked in the Chester area as well.  They had flush guard's doors.  There were similar style 5 coach sets for the South Wales and Bristol areas, but the layout was different as it was considered that the demand for first class accommodation was less and more van area was needed, so there was one compartment less in the BT.  Formation was BT-S-C-S-BT.  

Some of the Hornby type suburban sets were broken up during WW2 and worked as individual coaches after that, but this is too late for your time period.  Rule 1 trumps everything of course.  If you are looking for a single substitute coach for an auto trailer in the early 30s, remember that only another auto trailer can be used if there are low or ground level halts served because the steps are needed.  A Hornby 'shorty' clerestory is a possible candidate if all the platforms are normal height, the sort of thing that would still be in service but available as a spare.  Trailer failure was rare, as the linkage is fairly straightforward mechanically and most issues can be fixed on the spot while the train is being prepared for service, and non-autofitted locos hauling trailers and running around at the terminus substituting for failed auto locos were the more common occurrence.

As there are no RTR models available of the South Wales 5 coach suburban sets (Comet do them as kits) and no room on my layout anyway, Rule 1 has allowed a crimson liveried BT and C to appear on my South Wales 1950s layout, but I may replace these with more suitable Comet's at a later date.  Comet  E147 B sets are suitable for my area/period as well, and I have a K's E116 running as a single coach; Rule 1 again!  There were not AFAIK any 'matching' individual BTs or BCs.

Note the GW's preference for guard's compartments at the outer ends of the set for fixed formations of this sort.  There are two reasons for this, firstly that it was considered that the best place for the guard was at the rear of the train in both directions, because his duties involve looking after the tail light and protecting the train in rear with detonators in the even of a breakdown or 'incident', and secondly to have a predictable place on the platform to place parcels and mail barrows for loading or unloading.  The GNR and thus the LNER did this with their 'Quad Art' trains as well.  Some railways preferred the guard to be in the middle of short 2 or 3 coach trains as close as possible to all the passengers, and so that the van space came to a halt under the canopy out of the rain, and this arrangement continued when dmus were introduced in the 50s.

5 hours ago, Blobrick said:

However l  was wondering if additional brake coaches were produced to be use as strengtheners to existing rakes or as single coaches where required.

No.

I suspect from what l ve read so far, that they were only made as sets, remaining as such in the early part of their lives, only being broken up in later years?

Correct.

The reason l ask is that l could have a use for a single brake coach as an alternative to an autocoach  circ 1931-34

The D98s were still in their sets at that time.