Hornby - New tooling - 57' Bow-ended suburban coaches

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, vulcanbomber said:

Has anyone added lighting to these coaches, I notice one of the wheels is so it should  be easy to fit spring pickups

Not as easy as some Bachmann coaches with live stub axles with insulated centres, where the pickups are already in place.

Edited by melmerby

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I see Rails are selling theses coaches at £39.99 at the moment, l must admit l am tempted, however does anyone know if they worked as 4 car sets on the Severn Valley line between Hartlebury and Shrewsbury in the 1930s?

2 hours ago, Blobrick said:

I see Rails are selling theses coaches at £39.99 at the moment, l must admit l am tempted, however does anyone know if they worked as 4 car sets on the Severn Valley line between Hartlebury and Shrewsbury in the 1930s?

there’s an issue of gwrj (4 or 5 from memory) that sets out the rotations the coaches made.  The diagrammes were fairly convoluted but centred around Snow Hill I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 21:12, Blobrick said:

Hartlebury to Shrewsbury was primarily served by Worcester and Shrewsbury for the 5 through trains each way per day. Photos suggest fixed sets weren't really used and a ragtag mix was the norm, so I'd mingle them with corridor stock rather than constrain them to fixed sets. Timetables suggest regular traffic from Birmingham division seems more of a post Nationalisation weekend thing too. There was one Sunday service that ran from Snow Hill with a 07:22 departure and 20:00 return known as the 'Fisherman Special', that one might possibly have produced Birmingham division 4 sets in the '30s.

The price is worth it and they are rather attractive models, so ultimately I'd apply rule 1.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

Hartlebury to Shrewsbury was primarily served by Worcester and Shrewsbury for the 5 through trains each way per day. Photos suggest fixed sets weren't really used and a ragtag mix was the norm, so I'd mingle them with corridor stock rather than constrain them to fixed sets. Timetables suggest regular traffic from Birmingham division seems more of a post Nationalisation weekend thing too. There was one Sunday service that ran from Snow Hill with a 07:22 departure and 20:00 return known as the 'Fisherman Special', that one might possibly have produced Birmingham division 4 sets in the '30s.

The price is worth it and they are rather attractive models, so ultimately I'd apply rule 1.

Thank you Zunnan

I appreciate your input on this subject. The photos l have found so far support your comments. I am only to well aware that its nice to see uniform rakes of coaches, which as this and numerous other threads have proven was the exception rather that the rule.

Many thanks 

Bob C

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Blobrick said:

Thank you Zunnan

I appreciate your input on this subject. The photos l have found so far support your comments. I am only to well aware that its nice to see uniform rakes of coaches, which as this and numerous other threads have proven was the exception rather that the rule.

Many thanks 

Bob C

My Sister & her Husband had a static caravan North of Bewdley overlooking the River Severn and the Severn Valley line, I used to visit regularly in the late 50s/early 60s.

The trains I can remember were many and varied from Diesel Railcars in red/cream, maroon & diesel green (complete with stripes)  43XX on mid length trains with variable stock, the odd goods train and various tank engine hauled trains.

I don't know what the route restriction was but I can't recall anything bigger than the 43XX although there might have been. (It was about 60 years ago!)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

My Sister & her Husband had a static caravan North of Bewdley overlooking the River Severn and the Severn Valley line, I used to visit regularly in the late 50s/early 60s.

The trains I can remember were many and varied from Diesel Railcars in red/cream, maroon & diesel green (complete with stripes)  43XX on mid length trains with variable stock, the odd goods train and various tank engine hauled trains.

I don't know what the route restriction was but I can't recall anything bigger than the 43XX although there might have been. (It was about 60 years ago!)

Hi Melmerby

Thank you for sharing your memories, its always nice to hear recollections from people who were there and saw first hand.

Cheers Bob C

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...

23 pages of praise for these coaches and there is no mention of the fact that Hornby have not bothered to match individual coach numbers to the set brandings they have chosen. It did not occur to me to check when I decided, a little late in the day, that I must have the Birmingham set. Consequently, I ignored the A suffix options when I searched the market and paid £30 over the odds to buy the two composites. I now have a mongrel set comprising 4971, 6360, 6362 and 4972 (which is most of set 35) instead of 5513, 6636, 6637 and 5514 that actually made up Birmingham set 43. I have not checked the composition of the Chester set so cannot say if that set is numbered correctly.

... but they are fabulous models. :-)

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This is going toi sound very silly but to make up a typical 4 car set, say RH side, as i understand when made up correctly all the vents would be on the same side. So does that mean both Brakes are RH or does on need to be a LH to keep all vents on the same side?

Bob C

• RMweb Gold
On 27/11/2022 at 23:36, bubbles2 said:

These are now available from Hattons for £25.  

Sadly, for me they don't seem to have been used in the west country and were gone by 1960.

They were also available from Kernow who presumably got theirs at the sametime as Hattons as part of a Hornby stock clear out at reduced prices last year.  I don't know if Hornby are doing the same this year but it would be worth checking what Kernow have (although I know that I had the last of one particular version last autumn).

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Blobrick said:

This is going toi sound very silly but to make up a typical 4 car set, say RH side, as i understand when made up correctly all the vents would be on the same side. So does that mean both Brakes are RH or does on need to be a LH to keep all vents on the same side?

Bob C

The coaches are LH-LH-RH-RH or vice versa, depending which way you are going!

Like This:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrwe1366.htm

image.png.0a1da209f1c1e4d80b6595a5343187f4.png

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

Ahh l see, thank you so much for correcting me, we are learning every day!

Cheers

Bob C

If you are buying the set of 4 Hornby coaches they need to be 4 different numbers.

e.g. these are 4 I have:

624931025_subcoaches.JPG.04ac59309628727ba9dc4e0c5cc36fe4.JPG

They  could also have a suffix letter but 4 distinct numbers from each sequence of releases.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, melmerby said:

If you are buying the set of 4 Hornby coaches they need to be 4 different numbers.

e.g. these are 4 I have:

624931025_subcoaches.JPG.04ac59309628727ba9dc4e0c5cc36fe4.JPG

They  could also have a suffix letter but 4 distinct numbers from each sequence of releases.

I ve just tracked down and ordered the very same models. Smashing, at least l know l ve go it right and oredered the correct ones for once! 

Cheers Bob C

• 1 year later...

I bought a rake back in 2021.  The detail is very impressive however they have been parked up in a siding because they wouldn't stay on the track .  Well actually just one kept leaving the track.  I have finally got to investigate and have had to remediate the close coupling mechanism.

I needed a suitable rake to go behind a Bachmann 94xx.

53651397339_ca88c927ec_5k.jpg

The offending coach

I have written a Blog Post here:

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2