Hornby - New tooling - 57' Bow-ended suburban coaches

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Cofga said:

I admit I have not read through all 19 pages of comments so please forgive me if this has been asked already. If you look closely at the release photo of the first coach in the first post it clearly has a green lower band instead of choc brown. I have noticed this on the coaches in the Bristolian set as well and as you can see from the photo below comparing one to a Hornby autocoach there is a distinctive color difference here. I have looked on the various GWR modeling and prototype websites and can’t find mention of green instead of choc brown being used on the coaches. Can anyone explain this to me, thanks.

8EAE7422-4F44-4510-B2E4-D31729533840.jpeg

Sorry but I don’t see green anywhere. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hilux5972 said:

Sorry but I don’t see green anywhere. 

I think he means the trailer is a nice chocolate brown and the other coach is a more mucky brown colour.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Cofga said:

I admit I have not read through all 19 pages of comments so please forgive me if this has been asked already. If you look closely at the release photo of the first coach in the first post it clearly has a green lower band instead of choc brown. I have noticed this on the coaches in the Bristolian set as well and as you can see from the photo below comparing one to a Hornby autocoach there is a distinctive color difference here. I have looked on the various GWR modeling and prototype websites and can’t find mention of green instead of choc brown being used on the coaches. Can anyone explain this to me, thanks.

It is not green, it's a different shade of brown, I have a set of these and it is definitely not a variation on green

if you think it is you are colour blind.

10 hours ago, Cofga said:

Well once you get to a shop and see one you can see it is a very dark green definitely not  brown. As shown in my attached photo I have cars with both colors and there is nothing chocolate about the coach on the right.

The RH coach definitely looks to be dark brown to me.

If GWR coaches had been produced in dark green, there would have been an outcry amongst the numerous GWR fans in the UK.

They may look to be dark green to you - but everyone else sees them as dark brown.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Colour perception is subjective and people can see the same thing in different ways. Remember that widely publicised meme recently about the dress that some people though was gold and others thought was blue.

I don't see "green" but I do see a colour that is "greener" - so I can see what Cofga means.

FWIW: If you use your favourite graphics program to sample the pixels in Cofga's image they do have a slightly greener hue on the Collett corridor than the Autocoach.

450113719_browngreen.png.222d3fe47c8bc8176c05eae08db82722.png 

That was just one pixel on each coach - possibly an extreme case. To assess it properly an average would need to be taken under controlled lighting.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Thinking from the point of view of mixing paints at junior school. Red plus green equals brown. More of the former you get a red-brown shade and more of the latter a green-brown.

Which suggests Cofga has a perhaps a slight shortage of red vision (protanomaly) making the green component more obvious than it is to other viewers.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Thinking from the point of view of mixing paints at junior school. Red plus green equals brown. More of the former you get a red-brown shade and more of the latter a green-brown.

All well and good for primary school water colours and perhaps any acrylics. As soon as you go oil-based it becomes much more complicated than that. I recall having some dark red paint mixed for me and being very surprised that the main pigment involved was a cobalt blue.

I used it consult for LifeLike on their Proto 2000 paint schemes and I know that what comes back from China can surprise you. We once sent instructions for the paint on a US Southern Railway diesel that called for Southern green (similar to UK Southern green), imitation aluminum which is a light gray, and imitation gold which was a yellow the color of mustard. The test shot that we got back from China had the correct green, but the aluminum was metallic silver, and the yellow imitation gold was metallic gold. It made an interesting locomotive paint scheme but it would have been a total disaster if the production models came that way. Walthers eventually bought LifeLike and they still can’t get the green or the imitation aluminum correct, so if you guys are happy with the dark green chocolate brown coaches then I doubt anyone over here will challenge me when I run them behind a King class as an excursion train on my HO Southern Railway layout!

Edited by Cofga
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

All well and good for primary school water colours and perhaps any acrylics. As soon as you go oil-based it becomes much more complicated than that. I recall having some dark red paint mixed for me and being very surprised that the main pigment involved was a cobalt blue.

Yes, I've had some strange shades float to the top of tinlets when left for a while. 

6 hours ago, Cofga said:

.. if you guys are happy with the dark green chocolate brown coaches then I doubt anyone over here will challenge me when I run them behind a King class as an excursion train on my HO Southern Railway layout!

Be assured - such is the fanaticism of GWR fans in the UK - if a model GWR coach had been issued in anything resembling green you would have heard the howls of protest in Western North Carolina, without the benefit of any form of electronic transmission !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. I’ve read through all the posts regarding a green lower ‘band’. I’ve looked at the first carriage pic on the first page. I’ve enlarged it as far it will enlarge to. There are greens and purples to be seen which I think are artifacts of some kind. It may well be these artifacts which have given the impression of some green in that area. Personally speaking I’m unable to see any green at all when looking at the pic normally. Only when cruelly enlarged, along with  the purple splotches too. 

Here is a part on the enlarged pic. I hope it will explain things more clearly.

6A967650-055D-4C60-8F31-830089DF0712.jpeg.31a7e13b59303aaa7bc06598b747642b.jpeg

The greens and purples are just below the divide between the cream and brown.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. I’ve read through all the posts regarding a green lower ‘band’. I’ve looked at the first carriage pic on the first page. I’ve enlarged it as far it will enlarge to. There are greens and purples to be seen which I think are artifacts of some kind. It may well be these artifacts which have given the impression of some green in that area. Personally speaking I’m unable to see any green at all when looking at the pic normally. Only when cruelly enlarged, along with  the purple splotches too. 

Here is a part on the enlarged pic. I hope it will explain things more clearly.

6A967650-055D-4C60-8F31-830089DF0712.jpeg.31a7e13b59303aaa7bc06598b747642b.jpeg

The greens and purples are just below the divide between the cream and brown.

Best regards,

Rob.

Those are JPEG compression artefacts.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

My colour perception is slightly different in each eye.

Most people have. I have what I call a "hot" eye and a "cold" eye - one has a bluer tinge, the other redder.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

This one? https://www.xrite.com/hue-test

Edit: the more difficult one as well: https://xritephoto.com/cool-tools#

According to both I have a score of zero, which means perfect colour vision. However I know I have a tiny difference in colour accuity in each eye, as others above have mentioned.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Me too, although the rest of me is in a terminal downward spiral...  

I am not aware of any difference in colour acculty between my eyes, but that doesn't mean there isn't one!

I suspect that as well as JPEG compression artifacts some of the images are picking up some green reflection from a nearby object.  GWR coaches of the period in question are painted brown and cream, and only camping coaches carried a green and cream 'tourist' livery.

Edited by The Johnster

1 hour ago, Ian J. said:

This one? https://www.xrite.com/hue-test

Edit: the more difficult one as well: https://xritephoto.com/cool-tools#

According to both I have a score of zero, which means perfect colour vision. However I know I have a tiny difference in colour accuity in each eye, as others above have mentioned.

Yes. That was it.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Having just taken the test, I've scored 46, in a range 0-1600.  Not too bad, but has been better. Luckily, I can still spot a pint of cider from 50 metres, when placed upon the bar!

Edit: After re-taking the test, I managed to reduce my test result down to 2. I'm very happy with that, considering that 2 years ago after my stroke, my left eye was kaput. 

That said, you can argue to the ends of the earth about Brunswick Green, and Mid Chrome green......

Cheers,

Ian. 

Edited by tomparryharry

I’m amazed that nobody has mentioned how brown the Hornby colour is for their GWR locos. I speak as someone who has perfect vision - when I was tested in 1968. Time to go gardening.

• Funny 2