Hornby - New tooling - Mark 2F coaches

Andy Y

Hornby have announced a new tooling for BR Mark 2F coaches.

2Fa.JPG

2Fb.JPG

2Fc.JPG

2Fd.JPG

R4916 BR, Mk2F Tourist Second Open, M6011 - Era 7 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4916A BR, Mk2F Tourist Second Open, M6015 - Era 7 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4917 BR, Mk2F First Open, M3345 - Era 7 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4917A BR, Mk2F First Open, M3374 - Era 7 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4918 BR, Mk2F Brake Second Open, M9534 - Era 7 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4918A BR, Mk2F Brake Second Open, M9519 - Era 7 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4919 BR Intercity, Mk2F Tourist Second Open, 5985 - Era 8 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4919A BR Intercity, Mk2F Tourist Second Open, 5988 - Era 8 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4920 BR Intercity, Mk2F First Open, 3387 - Era 8 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4920A BR Intercity, Mk2F First Open, 3295 - Era 8 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4921 BR Intercity, Mk2F Brake Second Open, 9533 - Era 8 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4921A BR Intercity, Mk2F Brake Second Open, 9525 - Era 8 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4901 Network Rail, Mk2F Radio Survey Test Train Coach, 977997 - Era 10 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4928 Network Rail, Mk2F Plain Line Pattern Recognition Vehicle, 72631 - Era 10 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

Early 3D print samples were shown at Margate in Dec 2018.

2Fe.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-135.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-136.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-137.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-134.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty surprised by this. Seems a tad illogical on first pass. Bachmann are surely going to do these liveries too at some point. Their model really is the state of the art for the Mk2f. And I can't see Hornby changing that. So Bachmann is likely to remain the preferred option for modellers. It will be very interesting to see how the Hornby ones do in the market.

• Like 1

This seems a rather strange choice to me at first glance, with Hornby going head-to-head against an existing and acclaimed model, while other types of Mk 2 are not available to modern standards. I'd really like to have seen a retooled Mk 2d.

I pretty much have all the Mk 2fs I'm going to need now, although it's good to see Hornby producing some different and more recent liveries, like the current ScotRail livery (I might be tempted by a few of those).

On the one hand, duplication will probably result in lower prices and more choice for a particular mark of coach, but on the other hand, other Mk 2s that could have been produced will now not be, for a while at least.

• Like 1

This seems a rather strange choice to me at first glance, with Hornby going head-to-head against an existing and acclaimed model, while other types of Mk 2 are not available to modern standards. I'd really like to have seen a retooled Mk 2d.

I pretty much have all the Mk 2fs I'm going to need now, although it's good to see Hornby producing some different and more recent liveries, like the current ScotRail livery (I might be tempted by a few of those).

On the one hand, duplication will probably result in lower prices and more choice for a particular mark of coach, but on the other hand, other Mk 2s that could have been produced will now not be, for a while at least.

I’d have preferred if they had another look at the 2d again as well as the 2e.

Hope the blue/red box have a go at the 2b/2c.

The coach that they should also have been looking at is the Mk1 FO White roof charters.

Edited by 66738
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Given the lament I've experienced about the difference in livery and finish between the 2D, 2E and the blue box Mk2F, I'm not surprised by this one. At least those who've voiced concern at the 'inability' to run the various aircons together due to said differences now have a viable Mk2F option. Now all they have to do is fix the 2E chassis issue...

If it doesn't have a visible panty line or some of the other errors of the 2e, and are priced competitively then this should be good news for those modellers on a budget, but otherwise I struggle to get excited by this announcement.  Like others have said a Mk2c would have been more welcome.

I think I will stick with my plans to acquire two rakes of full fat Bachmann DCC 2fs but will watch these with interest when released.  Hornby though had better make sure these are up to the mark or they may have urinated a significant tooling sum up the wall if not.

• RMweb Premium

If Hornby gets this Mk2f right (no solebar and the grey band in the correct position on the Blue/Grey versions) then I think they will sell as they as much cheaper than Bachmann's version.

Of note is that Hornby also has Network Rail and (current) Scotrail liveried versions in the new range as well, not yet offered by Bachmann, so should attract sales for those. Presumably (hopefully) DRS and other liveries will follow next year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've only got one Bachmann 2F, bought as a "look & see". The rest of the rake got caught up in the Hattons/Bachmann affair, so I may well cancel as my recent cash has been preoccupied with freightliner purchases.

If the Hornby 2F cuts the mustard, then I will buy them - I'm not too fussed re DCC lighting etc, and the Hornby versions look to be a cheaper investment. If the detail differences between the two (Bachmann/Hornby) is significantly different I'll have a rethink.

They are showing BSO images of the blue/grey models for the FOs, I assume a simple typographical error.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Premium

Pretty surprised by this. Seems a tad illogical on first pass. Bachmann are surely going to do these liveries too at some point. Their model really is the state of the art for the Mk2f. And I can't see Hornby changing that. So Bachmann is likely to remain the preferred option for modellers. It will be very interesting to see how the Hornby ones do in the market.

They'll appeal to those of us who want basic coaches without LEDs and DCC gubbins at a cheap price .   While people might see this as duplication I think what you are now seeing is a clear split in the market by price point .  Hornby going lower cost in some cases ( they have high spec'ed range too) and Bachmann at high cost .  Again from 3ft away will you be able to spot the difference between Bachmann and Hornby? Maybe if Bachmann one has lights , but I'm not at all bothered by that.   Scotrail versions , great

• Like 1

Just can't help thinking that cash-conscious Hornby should have deployed the resources spent on these for a different fight. We'll see!

My thoughts are that the resources spent on these are not huge. Most of the tooling is probably from the 2E range with the air -con differences and roof detail. And of course re fixing the body to chassis location. 

It will be interesting to see whether Hornby finally admit they have got the light grey on the InterCity versions horribly wrong in the past. The artwork in post 1 above looks good, but that has been the case before, only for the models to wear Hornby's orangy/yellow version.