Hornby - New tooling - Mark 2F coaches

Andy Y

IC liveried ones are featured in the new Hornby Magazine (147) with good close up photos and glowing review (obviously!).

To my eye the grey band below the cantrail is much too wide, and as Sanspareil has already noted the colours don't wrap round the ends far enough. And the red stripe should be wider than the white stripe.

IMO they are nice coaches, but let down by careless livery application. The colours just don't seem to sit right.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Now seen images of the Mk2f in Blue/Grey. The grey band round the windows is still out of proportion. The first class yellow stripe on the FO looks too deep, which suggests the blue band above the windows on the TSO and BSO is too deep as well. Either that or the windows are too high.

I had high hopes as the Hornby windows and glazing are much better; the Bachmann ones have an excessive raised ribbing round their windows. But they still look better because the livery is correct.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

it's a great pity that neither livery looks quite right on these otherwise excellent coaches.

Those wanting better accuracy will no doubt resort to complete repaints.  OK as long as the coaches become cheap enough (as per the eventual Mk2e price reductions) but why can't Hornby ever get it quite right?

Very disappointed actually, having had high hopes for these.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

it's a great pity that neither livery looks quite right on these otherwise excellent coaches.

Those wanting better accuracy will no doubt resort to complete repaints.  OK as long as the coaches become cheap enough (as per the eventual Mk2e price reductions) but why can't Hornby ever get it quite right?

Very disappointed actually, having had high hopes for these.

Or Bachmann Mk2f's.

22 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Now seen images of the Mk2f in Blue/Grey. The grey band round the windows is still out of proportion. The first class yellow stripe on the FO looks too deep, which suggests the blue band above the windows on the TSO and BSO is too deep as well. Either that or the windows are too high.

I had high hopes as the Hornby windows and glazing are much better; the Bachmann ones have an excessive raised ribbing round their windows. But they still look better because the livery is correct.

After 5 minutes of casually googling Mk2f images I concur that the yellow/blue band above the windows is too deep.  My conclusion is that the band should not impinge onto the slats of the vent above the door drop light and it should end around the lower edge of the top of the vent frame. 

I am not a coach expert at all and as I said I spent 5 minutes googling M2f pictures and having done so the issue is immediately obvious to me.  If I can do that it makes you wonder why manufacturers make these mistakes.  They clearly research the prototype so it baffles me.  It's not like its a complex shape issue that requires sophisticated measuring equipment and a CAD genius.  A great pity because otherwise these look very good. 

Edited by DY444
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DY444 said:

I spent 5 minutes googling M2f pictures and having done so the issue is immediately obvious to me.

Indeed - it doesn't take much research to look at photos of original liveries.  There's so much reference material online these days.  Yet Hornby (and others) still get it wrong.

I sometimes wonder if model manufacturers sometimes take their livery dimensions and colour shades from stock on heritage railways while they are scanning and measuring.  All too often preserved stuff doesn't look "quite right".  It only takes a dodgy one and the model production is spoilt.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Spelling
  • Agree 2

Its a real shame and a real shame for Hornby sales that they hash it up in the last mile as such. They get the body right but mess up on the final decoration. Its very sloppy. Not sure where the blame goes but surely for sales sake Hornby et al really should be on top of this kind of thing? Its pretty basic stuff, just google MK2F and spot the difference! How many thousands in lost sales will it add up to? I for one would have bought around 8-10 examples. Now begrudgingly (due to cost) having to probably go with Bachmann who seem to have more areas spot on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, sanspareil said:

Its a real shame and a real shame for Hornby sales that they hash it up in the last mile as such. They get the body right but mess up on the final decoration. Its very sloppy. Not sure where the blame goes but surely for sales sake Hornby et al really should be on top of this kind of thing? Its pretty basic stuff, just google MK2F and spot the difference! How many thousands in lost sales will it add up to? I for one would have bought around 8-10 examples. Now begrudgingly (due to cost) having to probably go with Bachmann who seem to have more areas spot on.

Hi, 

Is this comment in relation to the recently arrived Hornby BR Blue & Grey MK2F coaches? If so what are the errors? 

I ask because I did plan on buying some of these. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

5 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi, 

Is this comment in relation to the recently arrived Hornby BR Blue & Grey MK2F coaches? If so what are the errors? 

I ask because I did plan on buying some of these. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1

Received my order from Model Railways Direct in Bristol. Very pleased with the service provided. Hattons have/had sold out of the BSO, so decided to order elsewhere.

Colour match with the Dapol 68 is very good. The blue dots are a tad lighter, and depending on the lighting, the base blue could be seen as slightly lighter too. However, even from arm's length, they look absolutely fantastic, and I'm rather looking forward to running these when I eventually get a layout built. Opted for the 5-car formation myself.

69318355_2447997268754544_8466162860119031808_n.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ews60002 said:

Hi,

Has anyone had problems getting hold of the Scotrail ones?  Hattons have sold out of them all and the MK2F BSO are virtually extinct. 

Mat 

Rails still have all three available and that's where I pre-ordered mine from. Really impressed with the service. I received the coaches within three days of them arriving into stock and they were really well packaged. 

Here is the link: https://railsofsheffield.com/search?searchTerm=ScotRail+MK2F

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Rails still have all three available and that's where I pre-ordered mine from. Really impressed with the service. I received the coaches within three days of them arriving into stock and they were really well packaged. 

Here is the link: https://railsofsheffield.com/search?searchTerm=ScotRail+MK2F

Hope this helps. 

Thanks,

That does help, I had one from Rainbow Railways in falkirk but would like an original one, I'm building up 2 set so that one can go onto the next Fife set when money allows it, although the Bachmann MK2f's may change my mind when they come out.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, ews60002 said:

Thanks,

That does help, I had one from Rainbow Railways in falkirk but would like an original one, I'm building up 2 set so that one can go onto the next Fife set when money allows it, although the Bachmann MK2f's may change my mind when they come out.  

You're very welcome. 

I bought three resprayed ScotRail MK2Fs from Rainbow Railways in 2015. They were Hornby Railroad models. Fortunately I sold them and now I have the newly tooled coaches by Hornby. The resprays were excellent but I wanted the extra detail and I thought that Hornby or Bachmann would produce them at some point. Have to say the Hornby coaches are really impressive, especially for the money. I got all three posted for less than £100. The Bachmann equivalents would have cost around £220 posted, so I'm really pleased. I'm hoping that Hornby produce another three TSOs to make a prototypical rake of six coaches. 

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KDG said:

Can anybody from Hornby confirm if another batch of Scotrail mk2f coaches are to be produced?

Coaches generally seem to have multiple batches so more should come along soon. Especially since they sold so well

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KDG said:

Can anybody from Hornby confirm if another batch of Scotrail mk2f coaches are to be produced?

Coaches generally seem to have multiple batches so more should come along soon. Especially since they sold so well

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/09/2019 at 01:05, KDG said:

You can still get them if you hunt around....  Rails/Olivia’s....

as to Hornby releasing another batch, i’ll Respectfully disagree with Hilux....  Hornby have nothing to run these coaches with, and Bachmann’s version isn’t far away...

• Thanks 1