Hornby - New tooling - Mark 2F coaches

Andy Y

Minus 2 now, just ordered 2 from Gaugemaster.

I ordered them from Hattons back in January, but I can't find the item on their website anymore. I've sent them an e-mail and asked them if they have more info on the DRS TSO.

Worst case scenario is that I have to make space for 4 TSO's :laugh_mini:

I hope Hornby will come with a DBSO in DRS livery one day..

3 hours ago, big jim said:

My local shop could only supply me one DRS open coach of my ordered 3 (along with the brake end) 

Hereford models were also sold out of opens as of 15:00 today but I managed to order a pair of R4966 off gaugemaster At 15:30 today after speaking to a nice man called Kevin to check they had them to hand, he informed me they have 15 left in stock after my order 

BE QUICK!! 

Thanks for the heads up Jim, i received my preorder today and id only ordered one TSO and one each BSO`s

Ordered another TSO along with 60100 too :good_mini: 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Bachmann already has one in it range, so they may be first off the mark, or were the driving ends different by the time they entered service with DRS?

They originally just had wooden boards over the gangways, when converted from BSO to DBSO.

With Anglia the gangways were fully removed / welded over.

Further mods have occured since.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Bachmann already has one in it range, so they may be first off the mark, or were the driving ends different by the time they entered service with DRS?

They have a different set of lights compared to the NwR RTOV (ex-DBSO).

There is also an upper headlight on the DRS variant.

• RMweb Premium

As so often happens, I receive items quicker if I do not pre-order them.

I have Scotrail 6183 on pre-order from Rails.   Still showing today as part-shipped  (I already received the other item which I had ordered at the same time).  No notification that they won't fulfil the balance of my order, only what I have read on here.  Maybe they intend to acquire  some new Hornby stock via another retailer.

I have DRS 5937 on pre-order from Jadlam.

At the beginning of this week Jadlam notified me that they now had these coaches in stock, so I decided to order Scotrail 6176, assuming they would send it along with 5937. 

So today only 6176 arrived.   I just checked my Jadlam account and 5937 is still showing as an unfulfilled pre-order.   If I hear nothing further by Monday, perhaps I should take the initiative and contact both Rails and Jadlam regarding the whereabouts of my pre-orders.

Edited by cessna152towser
typo

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

As so often happens, I receive items quicker if I do not pre-order them.

I have Scotrail 6183 on pre-order from Rails.   Still showing today as part-shipped  (I already received the other item which I had ordered at the same time).  No notification that they won't fulfil the balance of my order, only what I have read on here. 

.   If I hear nothing further by Monday, perhaps I should take the initiative and contact both Rails and Jadlam regarding the whereabouts of my pre-orders.

i thought rails had stopped dealing with Hornby and cancelled everything New including pre orders?

https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3528-important-statement

Edited by big jim
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Theres a few TSOs on ebay currently at £34.99.

i’d not wait too long at that price, 7 sold already on the Jadlam listing.

Thanks for the heads up adb. Ordered 2, 5 remaining.

I got my 3 TSO’s and BSO from Rainbow Railways on Thursday as they had just had a big delivery of Hornby coaches. Everything they currently have left is on there website if your after some.

Ive had a look at a Bachmann DBSO fully stripped down as I would like a proper DRS version. Looks like it can be done if you have the time to make all the mods etc. The only issue then would be to add Bachmann spec TSO’s with all the lighting to make a set up.

Cheers

Mark

• RMweb Gold

My delivery from gaugemaster master turned up this morning, so that’s a full rake of 4 to put behind One of my Drs 37s

I was having a look at pictures of the real BSO coaches livery wise and it looks pretty much identical to the one on the DBSO, I’ve got a PH designs brass overlay jig for cutting the end and side windows for a DBSO so I may have a go at converting the BSO as it should be doable without a repaint

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

On 26/09/2020 at 06:54, KDG said:

Thanks for the heads up adb. Ordered 2, 5 remaining.

Message from Jadlam today cancelling my order with them and refunding the money. Said they had received less than they ordered.  So they had sold on ebay items that they didn't actually have in stock yet - naughty.

Have to try elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KDG said:

Message from Jadlam today cancelling my order with them and refunding the money. Said they had received less than they ordered.  So they had sold on ebay items that they didn't actually have in stock yet - naughty.

Have to try elsewhere.

I phoned Jadlam this morning re the fact they had sold the DRS TSOs on eBay last week yet had not fulfilled my pre-paid pre-order.   Very helpful guy on phone was most apologetic, said they had discovered that they had received less than they had ordered but after they had contacted Hornby a further batch had now arrived this morning.  This evening my order has been updated from "unfulfilled" to "shipped".

Edited by cessna152towser
typo

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

I phoned Jadlam this morning re the fact they had sold the DRS TSOs on eBay last week yet had not fulfilled my pre-paid pre-order.   Very helpful guy on phone was most apologetic, said they had discovered that they had received less than they had ordered but after they had contacted Hornby a further batch had now arrived this morning.  This evening my order has been updated from "unfulfilled" to "shipped".

anyone else spot a pattern emerging ?

Edited by adb968008

So I finally got my hands on some DRS TSO's - who knew it would get so hard to spend your money!!

I have only had Bachmann MK 2F's before this so allowed a comparison. As you would expect given price difference the Bachmann ones are significantly better in almost all areas. Some areas are not excused on the price difference really, of my 3x coaches one has got a chronic wobble so much so I thought something must have been stuck to a wheel surface but no, one axle is so off centre it makes the huge wobble. One of the other two has a slight wobble but just acceptable enough I guess. I Think the issue is amplified as the coaches have so much horizontal body/bogie sway potential compared to other stock that a poor axle amplifies the wobble easier through the body. 

I would or should have sent the serious wobbler back but luckily had some spare good axles to swap with.

The light blue DRS livery colour is of some slight question as is the lining colour, but as we know Hornby have big issues with colour time after time.

Edited by sanspareil

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I'm hoping Hornby produce some more SOs because there are going to be quite a few orphaned BSOs left on the shelf at this rate

Shades of Airfix Mk2's?

The same happened with them as they produced equal numbers of BSO/SO/FO. Hence during the noughties and early 2010s, 2nd hand SOs were fetching much higher prices than the matching FO and BSO.

(Not that I need any aircon Mk2s anymore as I have more than enough stashed to finish off my NwR yellow fleet and have quite a few spare...........)