Hornby - New tooling - Mark 2F coaches

Andy Y

The Scotrail Mk2f’s.... what is the correct consist for them? Is it 4 or 5 TSO”s plus a BSO? Are they still used on the fife circle?

Normally i’d Pre order, but after getting the Hornby spotrail class 156 when it was released and being disappointed in the livery and colours used, it was far too light, i’ll Maybe just wait and see what they are like once released...

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I made my own Mk2f ScotRail coaches last year and plan to make my own Network Rail Mk2s this year I am still very excited to see Hornby releasing them as official models, will definitely be picking up a full rake of their ScotRail ones and making a test train rake out of the yellows. Nice job Hornby!

Edited by Richy59

• RMweb Premium

This seems a rather strange choice to me at first glance, with Hornby going head-to-head against an existing and acclaimed model, while other types of Mk 2 are not available to modern standards. I'd really like to have seen a retooled Mk 2d.

I pretty much have all the Mk 2fs I'm going to need now, although it's good to see Hornby producing some different and more recent liveries, like the current ScotRail livery (I might be tempted by a few of those).

On the one hand, duplication will probably result in lower prices and more choice for a particular mark of coach, but on the other hand, other Mk 2s that could have been produced will now not be, for a while at least.

Not necessarily - much depends on the detail (or lack of)

For example Hornbys Mks lack a close coupling mechanism and separately fitted toilet filler pipes which helps keeps costs down and is why they retail for less than Bachmann's versions.

By appealing to slightly different sections of the market both manufacturers still make a decent return on what are ostensibly the 'same' product

I could see the same happening here - Hornby's Mk2Fs without CCM and some of the fancy 'extras' the Bachmann Mk2Es have allowing Hornby to offer something similar but at a lower price point than Bachmann.

Another question. Will Hornby get the colours on the blue/grey coaches to match my Bachmann Mk1 buffets and Mk2s? I have a rake of Hornby Mk2es and they look pants when in a train with my Bachmann stock.

Otherwise a good announcement.

Another question. Will Hornby get the colours on the blue/grey coaches to match my Bachmann Mk1 buffets and Mk2s? I have a rake of Hornby Mk2es and they look pants when in a train with my Bachmann stock.

Otherwise a good announcement.

I would expect Hornby to match liveries to its own similar and complementary products rather than those of another, competing manufacturer.

Not necessarily - much depends on the detail (or lack of)

For example Hornbys Mks lack a close coupling mechanism and separately fitted toilet filler pipes which helps keeps costs down and is why they retail for less than Bachmann's versions.

By appealing to slightly different sections of the market both manufacturers still make a decent return on what are ostensibly the 'same' product

I could see the same happening here - Hornby's Mk2Fs without CCM and some of the fancy 'extras' the Bachmann Mk2Es have allowing Hornby to offer something similar but at a lower price point than Bachmann.

I don't doubt that lies behind Hornby's thinking and good luck to them too. My point though was that we now have two Mk 2fs to modern standards (albeit covering a wide range of price points), but no modern Mk 2d, let alone a Mk 2b/c.

Edited by Waverley West

A good move. Certainly not a fan of the shiny toy like wheel rims that certainly have nothing in common with the prototype.

Those are computer images, not the model - note that the only images of the model are the 3D print.

I have to agree with everyone questioning Hornby's decision to duplicate Mark 2f coaches; Fair enough, they are cheaper than Bachmann's and offer more liveries, but I would far prefer that they had produced a modern-spec 2d to replace the Airfix 1970s vehicles, or even just upgraded their 2e coaches to remove the visible solebar (not to mention the non-existent Mark 2b and 2c !)

I would expect Hornby to match liveries to its own similar and complementary products rather than those of another, competing manufacturer.

And there is the nub of a common problem. Different suppliers using different livery interpretations. Hornby would sell more if they matched the colours of their stock with the coaches that would form a prototypical rake.

My money is going to continue to head to Bachmann despite the higher price if Hornby match the colours to their Mk2es.

Edited by mevaman

Will the windows be too small like on the Mk 2e?

There’s a couple of things wrong with the 2e but not the window size. I even went so far as to measure the prototype to confirm this.

If you want to pick on a window frame, pick on the Bachman 2f ones that are not flush enough.

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 2

I've just had a thought...wasn't it mentioned when Hornby bought out the Mk2e that they had been researching the 2f but changed at the last minute when the Bachmann model was announced?  Given the principal difference between a 2e and a 2f is the underframe components (at least externally) I wonder if that is why we ended up with a visible panty line as a new chassis was tooled up for the 2e which didn't fit properly?  I also wonder if the Hornby management have decided to revisit the 2f knowing that (probably) they had the chassis ready to go, and having had some 18 months warning of the price point for the Bachmann models, decided they could go for the price concious market?

Perhaps we might get the chassis to fit this time then.

• Like 2

I messaged Hornby earlier about the 2f's.

The reply I got was that:-

1. It was almost a complete retool

2. The visible solebar has gone

3. There may be other liveries later

4. There isn't a close coupling mechanism, the couplings are attached to the bogies.

I'm still up for a Scotrail set and the Network Rail coaches

I would like to see the 2fs come out as Gatwick Express sets, assuming Hornby would do the necessary mods.

Given that Hornby have the Railroad Class 73, which included Gatwick Express locos under the Lima brand, a train pack is possible - if they invested in making a GLV. Probably too big an ask and maybe not a big seller, given the regional nature of the train.

If they did do it, the limited pulling power of the 73 suggests the GLV should ideally be a motorised model. 

The most striking thing about the new releases is how many are new editions of existing models. Things are tight for Hornby and this is perhaps unsurprising.

In the meantime I shall crack on with finishing my Britannia Pacific GLV and modifying my Dapol Mk2s!

• RMweb Premium

I think the Network Rail mk2's are a great idea for Hornby, test trains are a popular area of modelling that manufacturers often miss. I bet they sell really well.

Richard

Manufacturers often overlook test trains because the coaches are so bespoke with no two really alike and very few of them with little or no visible modification from their previous mainstream use. 

Windows blanked/plated/replaced with grilles or windows of different sizes/underframe detail/roof detail etc.

I totally get the fact that it becomes expensive to provide individual tools for each coach and that windows have to be painted over for mass production runs to save costs.

I suppose I'll eventually get one to have a go a filling in the windows properly............

Cheers,

Mick

I think this could be a smart/interesting move by Hornby (and a general one i predicted in other past posts). I think this might be the starting of a kind of wider super railroad range. A range of products not just made of 30+ yr old dated toolings but a range of models acceptable/affordable to the masses (and not a million miles behind the super detailed items). For me railroad is too basic but newer Bachmann models while lovely (like the MK2) are becoming out of reach. I havent purchased any Bachmann Mk2 despite looking forward to the release, was looking to buy around 11 in total. The price difference over 11 vehicles is not a small amount so here's hoping these Hornby ones are acceptable. I would hope this might progress on to wagons but with such a diverse amount am not so confident.

Time will tell if theres a growing market for such models given the almost out control increase in RRP each year. Like with cars everyone ideally would like a Mercedes/BMW etc but most of us have to make do with ford/toyota etc.

Maybe it will follow but a big shame no MK2 RFB (like Bachmann) to allow rakes such as XC formations to be modelled.

Edited by sanspareil

• RMweb Premium

It makes sense to do the more common varieties like TSO & FO which were more widespread & appeared several times in each rake before something more unusual like an RFB.

If these sell well, then Hornby may well release an RFB.

Think I'd prefer a Mk1 RBR.

• Like 2