Hornby - New tooling - Mark 2F coaches

Andy Y

Hi everyone,

I’m actually really pleased that Hornby are doing the 2f’s and makes a lot of sense given they probably had done a lot of the design work already when the 2E appeared. The Scotrail set of BSO and 5 TSO’s will allow me to create the ECS moves of the Fife circle stock with my Dapol 68’s that I see regularly through here. Simple to renumber using Rainbow Railways transfers too. Given my train funds are very restricted for the next 2/3 years being around the £30 mark these are also affordable. I know the 2E’s had there faults but there was a lot of nice detail on them the bogies and underframe details and I also thought the glazing was really good too. I got a rake to go with an old replica buffet to recreate a cross country service from 1992 I found a photo of online - a bargain at around £100 and Bachmann even did Tamar to haul it.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

M prefixes dominate on the blue and grey ones as opposed to the eastern region prefixes on the Bachmanns.........thought the Mk2f was largely the preserve of the London Midland Region (WCML) so have Bachmann got it wrong on the numbers?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81887-Hornby-mk2e-coaches/page-7 - Post 151

Original allocations of air-con Mark 2 stock were, so far as I can establish:

Mark 2d: ER: 23 FK, 23 BFK, 19 FO, 128 TSO, 17 BSO; LMR: 26 FK, 11 BFK, 28 FO - so 210 ER and 65 LMR, the latter all firsts, total 275.

Mark 2e: LMR: 12 FO, 89 TSO, 14 BSO; WR 43 FO, 71 TSO - so no brakes to the WR and few FOs to the LMR as their 23 were mostly to run with the 2d firsts - so 115 LMR and 114 WR, total 229.

Mark 2f: ER: 23 FO, 65 TSO; LMR: 105 FO, 146 TSO, 30 BSO; WR: 36 FO, 66 TSO - so 88 ER, 281 LMR, 102 WR, total 471.

Edited by jonathan452
  • Informative/Useful 1

lets get the words right...a 2d retool to me implies that the exisiting now 40 year old model would seemingly get worked on. for me thats a total no.

the 2d has been used by in ways the real railway didn't...

the 2d was ok  for its time but has errors

The 2e hasn't got a solebar it has what looks like one..take them apart and reassemble and hey presto no solebar. ok you should not have to but.

some competition surely aint a bad thing. I am all for getting rakes of stock but Bachmanns 2f release price brought a tear to my eye....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The only thing about the ScotRail 2Fs is that I think ScotRail will stop using them in May . As more HSTs and 385s are deployed displacing dmus , I think the loco rake is due to end . So nice to have, but maybe already verging on the historic.

Never say never regarding the MK2 RFB, we've seen Hornby make additions to the Mk1 range. So if many people request for it, it will happen.

Indeed lets hope so, but also theres been plenty of omissions or odd decisions previously. Historically Hornby sometimes dont seem to see the bigger picture so well as maybe say Bachmann in that not producing one coach may limit sales of others - or flip side producing one 'odd' coach leads more sales of others. I guess the accountants purely see the production costs of one coach with lesser sales as an unnecessary (without quantifying the potential wider sales effect). Its why back in the day i didnt swap my HST rakes to Hornby given the cut price Lima lash up they did with the TGS, so they lost out on multiple sales due to cutting corners on one coach.

I know what i will be putting on those Hornby 'make a model suggestion' forms at exhibitions now!!

Edited by sanspareil

I wish Hornby had done the Mk2D instead but here we are. I think I can forgive them if they get the BR liveries right this time, not the dark blue on blue grey with mismatching and light grey, or custard yellow for InterCity light grey.

Edited by sub39h

• RMweb Gold

There’s a couple of things wrong with the 2e but not the window size. I even went so far as to measure the prototype to confirm this.

If you want to pick on a window frame, pick on the Bachman 2f ones that are not flush enough.

Out of interest, other than the obvious solebar issue and the printed on door open lights, what else needs fixing on the 2E

Out of interest, other than the obvious solebar issue and the printed on door open lights, what else needs fixing on the 2E

Horrible Roevac vents. Easy fix from 3D printed ones.

Livery-wise:

The grey band on the blue/grey version is much too thin above the windows and too thick below it, which completely alters the look of the coach. I presume this is a livery application issue though, rather than anything to do with the position of the windows (?).

The light grey on the InterCity version, well, the less said about that, the better.

Edited by Waverley West

The only thing about the ScotRail 2Fs is that I think ScotRail will stop using them in May . As more HSTs and 385s are deployed displacing dmus , I think the loco rake is due to end . So nice to have, but maybe already verging on the historic.

I partly agree, especially if the rumours for LL 37/4s to take on the Fife diagrams through to September turn true (still would use the Scotrail branded coaches). Yet seeing as many own the Dapol 68 in Scotrail, you would think the coach is a rather smart move?

Hopes of Bachmann ever releasing modern liveries on the Mk2F have always seemed distant. Bravo to Hornby for satisfying the market in terms of today’s railway.

Posted previously on the Merl Evans thread but shows PLPR coach, not 100% sure it is R4298 though - livery looks good representation:

PLPR1 72631 Mark 2f TSO

PLPR2 5981 Mark 2f TSO

PLPR3 1256 Mark 2f RFB stays on the Wessex/South Eastern Set

PLPR4 72639 Mark 2f TSO

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone help with confirming the exact formations the test trains run in, are they usually the same or are there variations of the formations?

I have seen some with either four or five coaches, on top of what Hornby is offering I've seen a formation include a Mk2f Brake Coach, a Mk2f coach with no windows on either side, and what I assume is a Mk2a.

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone help with confirming the exact formations the test trains run in, are they usually the same or are there variations of the formations?

I have seen some with either four or five coaches, on top of what Hornby is offering I've seen a formation include a Mk2f Brake Coach, a Mk2f coach with no windows on either side, and what I assume is a Mk2a.

Going OT.

The one with fully plated windows will be a SGT set with either 99666 or 977986 as the plated coach. The "2A" is likely to have been Mk2B 977969 as it's the only non-aircon Mk2 in regular test service

Some sets stay together for long periods - particularly the SGT and UTU formation. The PLPR, RSC and TIC, MENTOR, HSTRC coaches do get swapped about

Look at departmentals.com sightings list and you'll soon identify sets that have the same group over a few days. Photo research via flickr will confirm this.

November/December 2018 with at least 3 sightings

72631/9481/975091

Yet a month earlier

9701/72631/9481/975091/977997

The numbers may not mean much, but they are all different coaches with different functions

Even the three BSOs that they use a brake force vehicles are all individually recognisable - 9481/9516/9523

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Posted previously on the Merl Evans thread but shows PLPR coach, not 100% sure it is R4298 though - livery looks good representation:

Now I've put it into 1080P and on a big screen I can tell you what this consist passing Kelvedon on 15/08/18 is:

37099 Merl Evans

Quite a lot of detail is visible at max res and big screen (and putting my glasses on!)

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/01/2019 at 13:22, Andy Mac said:

The Scotrail Mk2f’s.... what is the correct consist for them? Is it 4 or 5 TSO”s plus a BSO? Are they still used on the fife circle?

Normally i’d Pre order, but after getting the Hornby spotrail class 156 when it was released and being disappointed in the livery and colours used, it was far too light, i’ll Maybe just wait and see what they are like once released...

You can authentically put two brakes in a rake of five or six, can't say how often they've run like that but last time I did see two brakes they were in the middle of the rake coupled with the guards sections back to back, possibly they'd cobbled together two half rakes

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

For the most part I have seen them consist of 3 Opens, the Brake and then the last 2 Opens to form the 6 carriage rake. Or vice versa if the loco has run around to the other end. 

very occasionally I have sen pictures of them with the 5 Opens together and the Brake at the end, or again, vice versa. I think the mix the consist depending on which carriages are available at the time.

FC01.jpg

Photo by '37001' on Flickr

Edited by Richy59
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...