Hornby - New tooling - Mark 2F coaches

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

.......... so I guess the only way to get some uniformity on the layout is to repaint them all (at least just the light grey sections) which I intend to sometime!

Or instead maybe consider weathering them, nothing is really the same once weathered so the colour difference i would not have thought would be noticeable :-) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Garry D100 said:

Or instead maybe consider weathering them, nothing is really the same once weathered so the colour difference i would not have thought would be noticeable :-) 

Indeed, weathering does help. Depends how different the base colour is though. Hornby's previous "cream" shade of ELG is almost impossible to get looking right without a repaint.

• RMweb Gold

Heres my close up..

47541 at Stockport.

the red line looks too thin, and the grey too light on the Hornby one, a bit too much like the Oxford mk3. I think Bachmann got it dead on.

But you cant really complain at the price.

The argument about light grey has been done to death by manufacturers, I think the reality is light grey and brake dust make it darker very quickly.. I rarely spotted a spotless one, and if i did, its because it was in its first week out of the paint shop.

Isnt yellow footsteps, is a post privatisation thing though ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Heres my close up..

F82639DC-7166-433D-84EF-0D993A3FF055.jpeg.9a479d30ef39d2086f46b2962eed0658.jpeg

47541 at Stockport.

the red line looks too thin, and the grey too light on the Hornby one, a bit too much like the Oxford mk3. I think Bachmann got it dead on.

The argument about light grey has been done to death by manufacturers, I think the reality is light grey and brake dust make it darker very quickly.. I rarely spotted a spotless one, and if i did, its because it was in its first week out of the paint shop.

Great photo, thanks for posting.

Just look at the difference between the loco's ELG (well "weathered") and the carriage.  A great example of how weathering our models will help.

I agree about the yellow steps - I shall paint mine out along with the red springs.  I always paint out the red springs on the Bachmann bogies anyway, but sometimes leave just a hint of red.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Great photo, thanks for posting.

Just look at the difference between the loco's ELG (well "weathered") and the carriage.  A great example of how weathering our models will help.

I agree about the yellow steps - I shall paint mine out along with the red springs.  I always paint out the red springs on the Bachmann bogies anyway, but sometimes leave just a hint of red.

As per my picture, the footstep is white, indeed I didn't even think that was common in those days (usually the IC Charter mk1 set).

A shame Hornby keeps making  livery errors even though the product is lower priced, thats not an excuse. Surely as a manufacturer its just basic stuff  to get right to try to ensure you maximise sales potential? Livery errors have the potential to decimate sales. Appreciate the issue Hornby has with the IC lower band colour and thats unlikely to change given the legacy they have now built up but the red/white banding widths/colour and the top cantrail stripe width are just school boy errors. Can you imagine smaller manufactures (the likes of Accurascale) making such errors, or at least in the frequency that Hornby do?

Not a Hornby bashing post just ongoing frustration from a customers perspective.

• Agree 2

I agree sanspareil .  Just hoping the blue/grey ones will be better.   Hornby's Rail Blue on their 87 was spot on IMO, matching Bachmann's 85.  So I hope they don't revert to the awful dark blue for the 2f;  also hoping the grey will be an improvement as well.

I really don't understand Hornby.  When they produced Mk2As in the 1970s I thought the blue and grey was good.  Also their Mk4 INTERCITY was great.

Did the problems start after they moved production to China?

Edited by cravensdmufan
Insert word
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

I agree sanspareil .  Just hoping the blue/grey ones will be better.   Hornby's Rail Blue on their 87 was spot on IMO, matching Bachmann's 85.  So I hope they don't revert to the awful dark blue for the 2f;  also hoping the grey will be an improvement as well.

I really don't understand Hornby.  When they produced Mk2As in the 1970s I thought the blue and grey was good.  Also their Mk4 INTERCITY was great.

Did the problems start after they moved production to China?

Not sure of the real reason be it China, Hornby's sloppiness in design or QC who knows. Hornby arent by any means the only ones to have livery errors but must be up there as one of the worst and prolific offenders.

• Agree 2

On 23/07/2019 at 21:17, adb968008 said:

Heres my close up..

F82639DC-7166-433D-84EF-0D993A3FF055.jpeg.9a479d30ef39d2086f46b2962eed0658.jpeg

47541 at Stockport.

2EB8281A-E752-4BC5-BD10-B2C571BF83AD.jpeg.2ffd731973993a4a455da1531df3b035.jpeg

Doesn’t the to photographs show two different eras of Intercity?

The photo of real life coach shows the earlier version of Intercity with non italic font, as produced by Bachmann and the Hornby coach is the later italic Intercity version (Swallow period) that differed in colouring for upper and lower body colours and having door locking lights fitted.

• RMweb Gold
On 30/07/2019 at 07:00, JohnC said:

Doesn’t the to photographs show two different eras of Intercity?

The photo of real life coach shows the earlier version of Intercity with non italic font, as produced by Bachmann and the Hornby coach is the later italic Intercity version (Swallow period) that differed in colouring for upper and lower body colours and having door locking lights fitted.

The livery didnt change on coaches.

BR changed “Inter-City” to INTERCITY

thats all.

They co-existed for a few years, often nothing more than a sticker over the old text.

orange cantrail/Orange door lock lights followed.

here is both side by side..

The only difference is dirt... the light grey didnt weather well, and always made it look darker... on both styles  “Inter-City” to INTERCITY.

on locos they introduced a kind of silver white and several other changes, but the silver white didnt go on coaches...of course though, there is always an exception...the ICHX set used for charters, cleanliness by nature of limited use they stayed clean and were kept clean, but still weren't silver white.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

The livery didnt change on coaches.

BR changed “Inter-City” to INTERCITY

thats all.

You've explained that all very well with good reference photos.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Wording
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

You've explained that all very well with good photo references.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks, the mk3 photograph has a story attached...

it is an error.

3442 was returning from Scotland to the SVR, I’d seen it at Bolton, and had the WTT which told me it had a long stop in Victoria and a long slow journey around Denton to Stockport.

so i cycled from Bolton to Heaton Norris to await it. I promptly got off, got out my East German Praktica BC1 which for some reason jammed.

I tried again, and wasted 2 shots.

Now as a skint teenager, no digital photography, film is film...so desperately tried to unjam it and yes another delayed sky shot accidentally came.

4 pictures down, Annoyed I thought screw this pointed at the 87/mk3’s thinking I should at least get a picture of something whilst messing around with it, and hence it jammed/delayed, missed the 87 but got the mk3’s.. then the film ran out, no replacement, missed 3442 after a 20 mile bike ride, had to buy a full rrp film, cycle to Stockport and was fortunate to see it still there taking water again.

After processing it (10 years later before I could afford it) Each time I looked at it that my neck brustles as it reminds me about the event now 25 years ago each time I looked at it....

but the picture, being blurred is proving a useful model aid !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Thanks, the mk3 photograph has a story attached...

it is an error.

3442 was returning from Scotland to the SVR, I’d seen it at Bolton, and had the WTT which told me it had a long stop in Victoria and a long slow journey around Denton to Stockport.

so i cycled from Bolton to Heaton Norris to await it. I promptly got off, got out my East German Praktica BC1 which for some reason jammed.

I tried again, and wasted 2 shots.

Now as a skint teenager, no digital photography, film is film...so desperately tried to unjam it and yes another delayed sky shot accidentally came.

4 pictures down, Annoyed I thought screw this pointed at the 87/mk3’s thinking I should at least get a picture of something whilst messing around with it, and hence it jammed/delayed, missed the 87 but got the mk3’s.. then the film ran out, no replacement, missed 3442 after a 20 mile bike ride, had to buy a full rrp film, cycle to Stockport and was fortunate to see it still there taking water again.

After processing it (10 years later before I could afford it) Each time I looked at it that my neck brustles as it reminds me about the event now 25 years ago each time I looked at it....

but the picture, being blurred is proving a useful model aid !

That's a great story - oh, the trials and tribulations of film cameras (almost impossible for "youngsters" to believe now).

And what about when we used to bring them into the chemist to have them developed?!  Only to return after a day or two with such hope and high expectations.  You tore open the packet right outside the shop only to discover that the majority had the dreaded sticker on them!  "Out of focus", "underexposed"  "overexposed" or even completely blank!  Well mine mostly did!  And you'd paid your fiver plus the cost of the film - yet we'd carry on trying, and never gave up!

Anyway, back to the Hornby 2fs - looking at the video and retailers' website pictures the Executive Light Grey looks a a bit lighter than Hornby's normal cream. Until I see one in the flesh can anyone confirm please?  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hornby has posted an image of the three B/G versions on Facebook. The livery application looks much more accurate compared to the earlier Mk2e coaches but of course without a direct comparison the colour accuracy still needs to be confirmed. At least the “Inter-City” branding is in the correct place on the BSO.

• Informative/Useful 2

I dont know if in time Hornby will do the RFB so you can make a full consistent XC rake of MK2F together. If you run the Bachamann RFB with the Hornby MK2 it really shows up livery wise and thus might put people off buying wider fleet of MK2F with Hornby. I raised this with Simon at a show, he said never say never but didnt seem too on board with the need. It surprised me a bit as Simon is normally well aware of the 'system' approach to modelling (and I see comment elsewhere about the lack of RFB so not just me). However Hornby have previous form here too not covering all the bases like Bachmann often do or just doing lash ups to fill the gap (ex-Lima MK3 TGS comes to mind).

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, sanspareil said:

I dont know if in time Hornby will do the RFB so you can make a full consistent XC rake of MK2F together. If you run the Bachamann RFB with the Hornby MK2 it really shows up livery wise and thus might put people off buying wider fleet of MK2F with Hornby. I raised this with Simon at a show, he said never say never but didnt seem too on board with the need. It surprised me a bit as Simon is normally well aware of the 'system' approach to modelling (and I see comment elsewhere about the lack of RFB so not just me). However Hornby have previous form here too not covering all the bases like Bachmann often do or just doing lash ups to fill the gap (ex-Lima MK3 TGS comes to mind).

Since Bachmann hasn’t shown any interest, I think Hornby should focus on the RBR/RB as their buffet/restaurant coach. It can be used with both B/G and Intercity liveried Mk2f, and indeed their Mk2d and e for that matter, in both longer main line rakes and shorter cross country ones.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A mk1 Kitchen, or Griddle car would be nice.

Kitchen, especially as it fits a few preserved lines / mainline railtour stock too as well as historic liveries... isnt that what the Bachmann RFO is missing as a dance partner ?

Edited by adb968008

Hi All,

Has anyone paired these Hornby 'Inter City' swallow livery coaches behind a Bachmann 47 of a similar livery. I would be curious to see this with regard to the colour match. 

I realise in the real world, weathering would tone down the colours & also not all the liveries applied to different vehicles were an exact match.

Still curious to see these side by side mind.....

• Agree 1

Has anyone a photo of the Bachy IC MK 2f next to the Hornby version.  I have a number of Bachmann versions and am wondering about buying the Hornby ones, given the lower price.  I would want to run them together.  I am less concerned about the lower grey as I weather my stock.

Thanks in anticipation.

Andrew

23 minutes ago, mevaman1 said:

Has anyone a photo of the Bachy IC MK 2f next to the Hornby version.  I have a number of Bachmann versions and am wondering about buying the Hornby ones, given the lower price.  I would want to run them together.  I am less concerned about the lower grey as I weather my stock.

Thanks in anticipation.

Andrew

Further up the thread...