Hornby - New tooling - Mk3 slide-door coaches

Andy Y

Hornby have announced new tooling for contemporary versions of Mark3 coaches with sliding doors with accompanying power-car sets for each of the three liveries. Numbering options give the potential to build up complete sets with individual numbering

Mk3a.JPG

Mk3b.JPG

Mk3c.JPG

R4890 ScotRail, Mk3 Sliding Door TSL - Era 11 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4890A ScotRail, Mk3 Sliding Door TSL - Era 11 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4890B ScotRail, Mk3 Sliding Door TSL - Era 11 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4890C ScotRail, Mk3 Sliding Door TSL - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4891 ScotRail, Mk3 Sliding Door TSD - Era 11 Due Date: Jun-19    RRP: £34.99

R4891A ScotRail, Mk3 Sliding Door TSD - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99            

R4895 GWR, Mk3 Sliding Door TSD - Era 11 Due Date: Oct-19    RRP: £34.99 R4895A

GWR, Mk3 Sliding Door TSD - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4896 GWR, Mk3 Sliding Door TGS - Era 11 Due Date: Oct-19    RRP: £34.99

R4896A GWR, Mk3 Sliding Door TGS - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4915 GWR, Mk3 Sliding Door TS - Era 11 Due Date: Oct-19    RRP: £34.99

R4915A GWR, Mk3 Sliding Door TS - Era 11 Due Date: Oct-19    RRP: £34.99

R4915B GWR, Mk3 Sliding Door TS - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4915C GWR, Mk3 Sliding Door TS - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4938 Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TGS - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4938A Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TGS - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4939 Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TSD - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4939A Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TSD - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4939B Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TSD - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4939C Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TSD - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4940 Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TS - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4940A Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TS - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4940B Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TS - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4940C Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TS - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4940D Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TS - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4940E Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TS - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4940G Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TS - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4940H Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TS - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4941 Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TCC - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4941A Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TCC - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4942 Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TFD - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

R4942A Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TFD - Era 11 Due Date: Nov-19    RRP: £34.99

Early 3D print samples were on show in Dec 2018.

Mk3.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-139.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-140.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-141.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-142.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-143.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-144.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hurray - close coupling on a Mk3. The cam arrangement looks very much like Oxford Rail. I wonder if Oxford are making these for Hornby (and if the tooling will be improved especially the profile of the underframe equipment covers).

Either way - are we now going to see close coupling on the power cars???

These do look really, really good.  And now for the big question - anyone know what the proper train formations for the GWR, Cross Country and Scotrail rakes, so that people can order the correct number, of the correct vehicles to make their rakes up.

Many Thanks,

C

• RMweb Gold

This is good news. I look forward to seeing them later on as they are developed. Going by the 3D print image, they look most promising. I’ll make no comment about how they may compare with Oxford Rails Mk3’s.

Also, I think this is the first time that the correct seating has been made available for the interior.

Makes me wonder why they don't continue to churn out the other liveries.

Perhaps this will encourage them to polish up the MK3 in iconic liveries, like the BR blue / Swallow for a final push.

Agree here, and for me I do hope they follow up with the popular FGW dynamic lines colours. I know it’s been done a few times now over the years but would be fantastic to have with this new tooling. Well done Hornby with what you have announced and all the best for 2019 and beyond!

Agree here, and for me I do hope they follow up with the popular FGW dynamic lines colours. I know it’s been done a few times now over the years but would be fantastic to have with this new tooling. Well done Hornby with what you have announced and all the best for 2019 and beyond!

The new tooling is only the "modern" sliding door Mk3's, thus the dynamic lines wouldn't be appropriate.

IC Swallow was released this year, cannot see another new tool for the Mk3.  

Makes me wonder why they don't continue to churn out the other liveries.

Perhaps this will encourage them to polish up the MK3 in iconic liveries, like the BR blue / Swallow for a final push.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, but it's a shame they didn't fit bogies with NEM coupling boxes...................

Why should they?  Hornby apply different liveries to the base tooling all the time and their previous slam door Mk3s were no different in this respect.

With Oxford now producing slam door Mk3s with a close coupling mech etc at a reasonable price there is zero incentive for Hornby to do anything to their previous Mk3 tooling*

* If Oxfords Mk3s were like Bachmann's Mk1s or Mk2Es with a high retail price and lots of extras which Hornby could dump so as to attract the budget modeller then duplication is more likely.

With Oxford now producing slam door Mk3s with a close coupling mech etc at a reasonable price there is zero incentive for Hornby to do anything to their previous Mk3 tooling*

* If Oxfords Mk3s were like Bachmann's Mk1s or Mk2Es with a high retail price and lots of extras which Hornby could dump so as to attract the budget modeller then duplication is more likely.

Except it may not be so simple.

The case of duplicating the Mk2f is likely simple - the existing tooling for the Mk2e likely allowed for it unless new tooling was required so the issues with the Mk2e didn't follow (on the assumption the new Hornby Mk2f doesn't have those 2e issues).

Similarly, with the new slide door Mk3 the question becomes whether it was cost effective to develop the tooling to allow for the older Mk3 variations to be done for relatively little additional cost in the future.

Except it may not be so simple.

The case of duplicating the Mk2f is likely simple - the existing tooling for the Mk2e likely allowed for it unless new tooling was required so the issues with the Mk2e didn't follow (on the assumption the new Hornby Mk2f doesn't have those 2e issues).

Similarly, with the new slide door Mk3 the question becomes whether it was cost effective to develop the tooling to allow for the older Mk3 variations to be done for relatively little additional cost in the future.

would hope this has been thought through. With intelligent tooling design, all that is needed is a slide for the sides (assuming the side tooling also encompasses some of the end tooling). We can but hope.

But very pleased with this announcement. IF Hornby close couple  the power cars, I can see myself with a set. And of course for GWR and Scotrail, the HST GTi is, at 4-5 cars plus PCs, a good length for an average layout!

Great news

Already ordered my Scotrail set and will also go for the XC set. Hats off to Hornby and no 5 year wait.

They deserve to be successful and I hope they are, with Mk2F coaches as well !

John

Great news

Already ordered my Scotrail set and will also go for the XC set. Hats off to Hornby and no 5 year wait.

They deserve to be successful and I hope they are, with Mk2F coaches as well !

John

Indeed, but it's a shame they didn't fit bogies with NEM coupling boxes...................

NO - its not the NEM couplings they didn't fit in the 'refresh' (if it even was that), its the cam-based close-couplings in NEM pockets. This is key. NEM pockets in bogies are only half the job, as you still have 3ft gap between corridor connections to allow for swing round bends.

• Agree 1