Hornby - New tooling - Mk3 slide-door coaches

Andy Y

Interesting to hear about the Penzance-Exeter-Cardiff short sets coming in soon.

Dont get too giddy, there will only be one through train in each direction per day as a way of getting the Cardiff to Taunton sets 'home' to Laira for maintenance.

Other than that it is Penzance to Plymouth, Newton Abbot or Exeter for the 'West' based GTIs and Taunton to Cardiff for the 'East' based ones, unless the plans have changed again.

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong thread to ask this question. (I'm a newbie)

Regarding the new Old Oak Common liveried HST pack, I noticed that this doesn't contain the most up-to-date version of the OAC power car. They added another badge/crest to the side of it when Old Oak closed a few weeks back. 

Just for comparison:

Current:

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/181222a-for-the-record-the-last-hst-off-old-oak-common-depot-8th-december-2018-copyright-roger-winnen-copy_orig.jpg

Previous:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DItmpeYXoAIpPEu.jpg

New model:

https://www.oliviastrains.com/wp-content/files_mf/1546902726R3696_1a.jpg

So my question is, would this be added to the final version or not likely? I posted here as I don't think this power car has actually run with the sliding MK3 coaches yet? (Correct me if I'm wrong) So surely this would be kind of inaccurate to have this power car running with sliding MK3s unless that crest is added.

http://www.totnestrains.com/great-western.html

This may be of some use. There are a couple of pictures of 093 running with the sliding door sets.

Ooo. I might well do that. What is the best way of getting in touch with them for this kind of query? 

I think a private message to Islesy would be best. He is very approachable and responsive to polite suggestions.

EDITED, with apology, to correct the gentleman’s moniker.

Edited by No Decorum

When I walked up and down Penzance station showing the difference to one of my sons, the split seemed to be about 50/50. Whether the retained coaches are mixed I don’t know.

Roy

Count your blessings! If I tried that with my offspring, I’d be thrown onto the track.

One thing I have noticed is that Hornby are doing enough MK3s for 2 rakes per livery... Will each coach have seperate numbers so we can accuratley model 2 different sets or will 2 of the coaches in the range have the same number but with different release dates (which I have noticed on the website)?

• RMweb Premium

One thing I have noticed is that Hornby are doing enough MK3s for 2 rakes per livery... Will each coach have seperate numbers so we can accuratley model 2 different sets or will 2 of the coaches in the range have the same number but with different release dates (which I have noticed on the website)?

I'd assumed that there would be two different sets, one for each release date... This would be logical, but needs checking once the running numbers are confirmed...

• Like 1

I'd assumed that there would be two different sets, one for each release date... This would be logical, but needs checking once the running numbers are confirmed...

Thanks for the reply, I guess we will just need to wait and see the running numbers.. Would be nice to have two different sets though

• RMweb Gold

Count your blessings! If I tried that with my offspring, I’d be thrown onto the track.

I have three sons, one completely disinterested in railways, the youngster is sort of keen but middle son has life mapped out and wants to follow me onto the footplate. It is great working with him to light up a loco. As you say, I am blessed.

Roy

I have three sons, one completely disinterested in railways, the youngster is sort of keen but middle son has life mapped out and wants to follow me onto the footplate. It is great working with him to light up a loco. As you say, I am blessed.

Roy

I’ve always told my girls, “if your chosen path of what you want to do doesn’t work out, the railway, especially driver grade would give you a good life. After all, your old man’s not done too bad for us all has he?” But a lately I’ve been having second thoughts. To be honest ‘the job for life if you keep your nose clean’ might not apply for young ‘uns these days. Driverless trains could easily happen in their working life.

I am truly blessed doing the job I love, but it’s not like it used to be.

Anyway back on topic, these Mk3’s have the potential to be very good. Too modern for me but full marks to Hornby for having a crack st them. Hope they can back date them to give us the ultimate MK3 that we all crave.

Edited by 66738

• RMweb Premium

Rather than let other sources interpret the data, based on the information we’ve received from the three TOCs concerned, the rakes are summarised below. Formation wise, the following applies/will apply (in theory!)

GWR (the ‘Castle’ or ‘GTi’ sets as they have been referred to): 2+4 formations which should be (Coaches A to D) TS+TS+TSD+TGS in service. The first test rake was TS+TS+TS+TGS though, which is what I measured at Laira.

ScR: 2+4 (x 9 rakes) and 2+5 (x 17 rakes) formations. The 2+5 should be (Coaches A to E) TGFB+TSD+TS+TSL+TSL and the 2+4 TGFB+TSD+TS+TSL in service.

XC: 2+8 formation which should be (Coaches A to H) TFD+TCC+TSL+TSL+TSL+TSL+TSD+TGS. However, there is a 9th coach on the diagram specs, a TSD(V), which will only operate on XC04 and XC05 and will replace the TSD in those formations (the interior layout differs). The first rake into service was XC03 which was a 2+7 formation of (Coaches A to G) TFD+TCC+TSL+TSL+TSL+TSD+TGS.

Until full squadron service is completed, there is likely to be some mix and match elements in play, particularly on ScR and XC.

Hope that helps you all - just as soon as we can catagorically confirm vehicles numbers we’ll communicate them through the various media channels.

Best wishes,

Paul

Edited by Islesy

Hattons have produced a chart showing the various configurations:

Yikes! Hattons could not have the got the GWR GTi sets more wrong!

But Paul you are so close! Just need to swap a TS+TSD!

The correct formation for the GWR GTi “Castle” is 43+Coach A/TGS+Coach B/TS+Coach C/TSD+Coach D/TS+43.

GWR (well First Group/Angel Trains ROSCOs) own 11 sets of Mk3s (plus four spare - 2xTGS and 2xTSD). Ill confess previously 13 sets has been advised, but we shall have to wait until the new DA is announced!

I wont go into all numbers, but unlike the Scotrail and Crosscountry sets, Angel/First Group are renumbering their coaches to make logical sets. Please note this shall be complicated as GW01, 04 & 05 are delivered with coaches to be swapped between each other. Mainly GW01 receives TSD 48103 from GW05. Currently only GW01 & 02 have been delivered, yet ‘all’ should be delivered for the May timetable (oh I giggle).

Here goes:

TGS are number as per their set -

49101 - 49111

TS/TSD - note TSD is numbered in the standard 48xxx range, but is always the 2nd out of three coach number series. THE THIRD TS COACH ‘D’ HAS BUTTERFLY DOORS FITTED AT ONE END. This blocks entry into the HST 43 cabin. The TSD does not have gangway butterfly doors fitted.

48101 - 48133 (eg. TSD - 48105, 48108, 48120)

The TSD takes form of Coach C (just because they wanted to confuse with Coach D being a TS! It could be argued ‘D’ stands for ‘Door’ rather than ‘Disabled’. Thus coach ‘D’ is always understood to be at the end (along with ‘A’ the TGS).

What you’ll notice is, GW01 shall continue to be unique. With coach letter/coach numbers being reversed. This might be a ‘typo’ on Wabtec’s part.

For those who enjoy maths, ill give two check sets. Note really only works for GW02-11. So ill give you GW01!

GW01 TGS ‘A’ 49101, TS ‘B’ 48102, TSD ‘C’ 48103, TS ‘D’ 48101

GW07 TGS ‘A’ 49107, TS ‘B’ 48119, TSD ‘C’ 48120, TS ‘D’ 48121

GW10 TGS ‘A’ 49110, TS ‘B’ 48128, TSD ‘C’ 48129, TS ‘D’ 48130

Complicated isn’t it! Lease XC and SG are expected to keep their original numbers.

Edit -

Forgot to say GW02 was expected to be delivered complete with 49102 ‘A’, 48104 ‘B’, 48105 ‘C’ & 48106 ‘D’. But the TSD was not complete in December, so TS 48131 was sent for staff training. When it enters passenger service, 48105 shall be available. This has been delivered this week, seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/152051114@N03/45844628445/sizes/l

Edited by 159220
  • Like 1

My order is now placed at Scoonie Hobbies for 21 mk3 coaches and 3 power car sets LNER, Cross County and Scotrail. I would never have guessed in December I would be ordering 3 full HST's from Hornby this year!

I have to say I am very happy with the decision to tool up the new coach and this will give a model of every train I can use to get to work along side my Bachmann 158 and 170!

• Like 1

Has anybody actually told Hattons they have it wrong

Remember when Hornby started calling their HST coaches Tourist instead of Trailer....

!!

Will the seat units be of the correct high backed type ?

Edited by Co-tr-Paul

• RMweb Premium

Remember when Hornby started calling their HST coaches Tourist instead of Trailer....

!!

Yes, and yes!

• Like 2

!!

The last coach is actually labelled with the correct catalogue numbers for a TGS, but the description is wrong, TSD vice TGS.

http://www.totnestrains.com/great-western.html

This may be of some use. There are a couple of pictures of 093 running with the sliding door sets.

To be honest, if its done without the additional logos - I'm sure there will be a transfer provider to do the additional logos.  Plus with Hornby's Gloss Finish, the carrier film should be pretty un-noticeable.

Just a shame they didn't do a pairing with 43185, unless someone out there has ideas on a 43002/43185 Twin pack!

Regards,

C.

To be honest, if its done without the additional logos - I'm sure there will be a transfer provider to do the additional logos. Plus with Hornby's Gloss Finish, the carrier film should be pretty un-noticeable.

Just a shame they didn't do a pairing with 43185, unless someone out there has ideas on a 43002/43185 Twin pack!

Regards,

C.

My guess would be that Hornby will produce 093 without the additional logos. As you say, a transfer provider will soon be on the case to have these available soon after release. You mention the gloss finish but I’m wondering whether these will have a gloss finish as on the technical specifications and detail (in the previous 2 GWR HST packs) it has listed a gloss finish but on this HST pack it hasn’t.... Edited by Shoey

On 1/18/2019 at 4:40 PM, Scottish-Exile said:

Hattons have produced a chart showing the various configurations:

On 1/18/2019 at 6:57 PM, Islesy said:

GWR (Coaches A to D) TS+TS+TSD+TGS in service. 

On 1/18/2019 at 8:28 PM, 159220 said:

Yikes! Hattons could not have the got the GWR GTi sets more wrong!

But Paul you are so close! Just need to swap a TS+TSD!

The correct formation for the GWR GTi “Castle” is 43+Coach A/TGS+Coach B/TS+Coach C/TSD+Coach D/TS+43.

And now I have a photo to prove it ! GW01 currently has 48105 TSD in Coach C position. 48105 was the late delivered TSD for GW02 (currently staff training out of Bristol St Philips). This has been an operational decision to provide disabled access to the only GTi set in service, GW01. 

IMG_1928_copy.JPG.eaded8abbd6859b8e29d981bce0b4014.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Great to see new models with new tooling and liveries. Particularly impressive reproductions of the up to date liveries. 

Back in the real world, I am totally gutted that the opportunity to stand at an open window of an HST trailer coach whilst it is hammering up and down the 'Western' on a service train, especially along the sea wall through Dawlish and Teignmouth, will be gone for ever!!!!!!

IMHO, Plug doors, with sealed windows suck so bad! I s'spose that the occasional rail tour might still venture out and about with drop down windows........but it just won't be the same. Still that's progress.......LOL. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 16:40, Scottish-Exile said:

Don't know how I missed this thread, however, I think the Scotrail TGFB  based on the TGS bodyshell is  wrong . It should be based on a FO bodyshell.  Possibly a revision after these coaches were announced by Hornby , but for Scotrail  the First, Buffet and Guards office are accommodated in the former First Coach not TGS.  I think the others are OK though.