Hornby - New tooling - Mk3 slide-door coaches

Andy Y

Just ordered and paid for 22 XC and GWR MK3s from KMS Railtech.. I'm quite taken by these to be honest and as yet have nothing to moan about which is unusual.. apart from some naff livery application in the photos above by Bryn Jones. Hopefully mine are all ok. Scotrail set is on order when it arrives. Can't run anything until the club reopens after lockdown, but overall these look fab. Dirt cheap too, making it really easy to buy a rake in one hit. These will sell out I'm sure, hence why I haven't waited. 

Alex

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 01/05/2020 at 13:56, TomScrut said:

https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/couplings-new-c-2/hunt-couplings-for-new-Hornby-mk3s-with-sliding-doors-10-pairs-for-nem-sockets-p-51

Note these one have a specific design by the looks of it. Not sure these come with the ones for the loco though?

Hi @TomScrut they are for 10 pairs, but if you require a pair of the hst powercar coulings included just drop a message on checkout, a HST pack with the power couplings will be available from Tommorow, just got to finish the photos, regards Chris

Edited by Westhillwagonworks
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Lochnagar said:

Just ordered and paid for 22 XC and GWR MK3s from KMS Railtech.. I'm quite taken by these to be honest and as yet have nothing to moan about which is unusual.. apart from some naff livery application in the photos above by Bryn Jones. Hopefully mine are all ok. Scotrail set is on order when it arrives. Can't run anything until the club reopens after lockdown, but overall these look fab. Dirt cheap too, making it really easy to buy a rake in one hit. These will sell out I'm sure, hence why I haven't waited. 

Alex

Christ, that's a fair few quid!

My XC coaches have had very very minor paint marks, to the point where I'd not notice them if I wasn't looking up close. 

Looking forward to my Hunt Couplings arriving (along with other mk3/mk2 ones) so I can get them all converted.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/04/2020 at 11:36, Jack Mc said:

Do they have spare power cars? I know for certain that 43155 is still in use with GWR however it doesn't appear on these lists.

Jack

Yes, still got spares as the powercars need work more frequently than the coaching stock. There will be 28 powercars in total so there will always be spares to cover for heavy maintenance or any other issues.

155 is currently spare at Laira, it was stood down for B exam towards the end of April.

Al

• Thanks 1

Interlocked for Mk3SD (some Angel, some First Rail holdings):

43004, 005, 016, 040, 041, 042, 092, 093, 094, 097, 098, 122, 153, 154, 155, 158, 170, 186, 187, 189, 192, 194

Angel Trains on hire to GWR (spares/retention) - NOT interlocked:

43009, 010, 020, 022, 023, 027, 029, 088, 156, 160, 162, 171, 172, 191, 198

GWR asset for retention/conversion of First Rail Holdings:

088, 156, 160, 162, 195 (156/162 currently at Wabtec for interlocking (156 in GWR green)).

Direct Award 3 is widely understood to include in the short term an additional three ’Castle’/GTI sets to be confirmed shortly, including two further class 43 spares from Angel....shall see though what passenger numbers are like! 

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, 159220 said:

Interlocked for Mk3SD (some Angel, some First Rail holdings):

43004, 005, 016, 040, 041, 042, 092, 093, 094, 097, 098, 122, 153, 154, 155, 158, 170, 186, 187, 189, 192, 194

Angel Trains on hire to GWR (spares/retention) - NOT interlocked:

43009, 010, 020, 022, 023, 027, 029, 088, 156, 160, 162, 171, 172, 191, 198

GWR asset for retention/conversion of First Rail Holdings:

088, 156, 160, 162, 195 (156/162 currently at Wabtec for interlocking (156 in GWR green)).

Direct Award 3 is widely understood to include in the short term an additional three ’Castle’/GTI sets to be confirmed shortly, including two further class 43 spares from Angel....shall see though what passenger numbers are like! 

I'm afraid that list is both out of date and wrong - 023 is now at Ely and has been for a few months, while 088 / 156 / 160 / 162 were Porterbrook locos since sold to the First Greater Western Franchise (Not First Rail Holdings etc - they're franchise assets). 063 (Angel owned) is also at Laira. 

Also, Porterbrook owned 43091 has also made a return to Laira, with 086 taking it's place in Long Marston. 

Edited by surfsup
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Afroal05 said:

Yes, still got spares as the powercars need work more frequently than the coaching stock. There will be 28 powercars in total so there will always be spares to cover for heavy maintenance or any other issues.

155 is currently spare at Laira, it was stood down for B exam towards the end of April.

Al

Hi @Afroal05 the powercar couplings are now available to be added or purchased seperate, see our facebook post here: 

Edited by Westhillwagonworks

On 03/05/2020 at 16:23, TomScrut said:

if we are out of stock please check back in store when you can, more sets of all our couplings are added daily to our store as they are produced 7 days a week!

Regards Chris Bower - West Hill Wagon Works

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Westhillwagonworks said:

not available to be added

I presume that's meant to say now? I put a note asking for a pair of power car fittings to be substituted into my order, I presume you'll see that and do it?

Or do I have to order the power car ones separately and if so can I add to the order without paying postage again?

Sorry for asking on the thread but thought the reply may be useful info to others.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

Just received my GWR set, extremely happy with them and Hornby have done a fine job on these. Just hope that the slam door variant will get this treatment and older/more liveries will follow. (My preference being the First Great Western dynamic lines again)

• Like 2

I did notice on mine, the bogies are clipped in, like the older mk3. I also noted 4 little plastic prongs on them, that looked very similar to the mounting points for light pick ups on my mk2E. So they have given the tooling availability for lighting in the future. They might use similar parts and refresh the mk3, they’ll need to keep the cost down though, Given that the 91 is coming out and they are doing the buffered hst they might re tool them for early use, but they’ll probably do mk4s instead. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 02/05/2020 at 11:20, Sir TophamHatt said:

I wonder if at some point in the (relative near) future, the MK3 will be re-done with on-board lighting, doors that can open with a function button and maybe even speakers that would give that wailing upon entering / exiting a station.

Clearly costing £150 each...

If any coach deserves this gold standard treatment it would be the iconic slam door Mk3. I have wondered why nobody has tried producing some where the doors can be opened by hand. Would only require a couple of tiny hinges. I’m not saying it would be cheap but it would be revolutionary. Imagine being able to market a model coach as having opening doors. :superman:

More likely they’ll just be redone with interior lighting and more realistic interior seat mouldings unfortunately.

Instead of gimmicks I'd never use I'd rather see retooling that corrects the error on the roof of the slam-door TGS coach, adds a proper TRSB/TRFB coach into the range and has another go at the TRUB/TRBF but without the inaccurate CDL/passenger door at the counter end. Update these and do replacement interiors to reflect the later seating layouts and colours, more detailed ends and coach connections and I'd be in the market for some, provided they went through some of the InterCity/early privatisation liveries.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

Guest Half-full
16 hours ago, bart2day said:

If any coach deserves this gold standard treatment it would be the iconic slam door Mk3. I have wondered why nobody has tried producing some where the doors can be opened by hand. Would only require a couple of tiny hinges. I’m not saying it would be cheap but it would be revolutionary. Imagine being able to market a model coach as having opening doors. :superman:

Why?  Whats the point in opening doors?  What value to they add to the model?  Extra tooling and assembly costs, passed on to the consumer, for no added value.  Its a bad enough gimmick on loco's but at lease you'll see a loco in action with a door open, you dont see that with coaches.

36 minutes ago, Half-full said:

Whats the point in opening doors?

Something I have often thought about the Hornby 60, 31 and HST. Especially since they are spring loaded!

Unless people want to have their trains more as stationary objects for looking at so you could have a train parked in a station with doors open. But this can't be a very high proportion of people.

Also anything made in the last 30 years has sliding or plug doors anyway which is a different challenge altogether.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Something I have often thought about the Hornby 60, 31 and HST. Especially since they are spring loaded!

Unless people want to have their trains more as stationary objects for looking at so you could have a train parked in a station with doors open. But this can't be a very high proportion of people.

Also anything made in the last 30 years has sliding or plug doors anyway which is a different challenge altogether.

I really can't say I'm a fan of Hornby's spring loaded cab doors - if you risk opening them and they've got a dodgy spring behind it, the door then seems to either jam itself or give up and stay open. It's a feature that's happened on both my 60 and one of my HST Power Cars. 

To be honest, I'd rather they stuck to getting the intricacies correct like having the correct style lighting or pantographs that look accurate and aren't as fragile as a matchstick, than giving us more gimmicks like opening doors. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Half-full said:

Why?  Whats the point in opening doors?  What value to they add to the model?  Extra tooling and assembly costs, passed on to the consumer, for no added value.  Its a bad enough gimmick on loco's but at lease you'll see a loco in action with a door open, you dont see that with coaches.

It was a selling point of China super detailed models 25 years ago.

Proto 2000 series in the US took off in a big way. Early Hornby diesels tooled in China copied this (they might even be the same factory as the bogie assemblies are similar to the point I can use class 50 spares in Proto 2000 models).

Thing is they were tooled that way and remain so.

Removing posable vents, opening doors etc will make newer versions less feature rich than older versions, a selling point to some, and a barrier to a competing model being released, all which lengthens the roi of the tooling for a few extra pennies of assembly time.

tbh if someone tooled up a new 31/50 I doubt i’d upgrade for opposite reasons....

50’s ive already got every livery I need and I dont think a new tooling will cut it. So i’ll stick with Hornby at this point, they pull the house down, look good and have excellent detail that isnt going to be beaten at their current price.

: 31’s theres so few liveries released, the shape isnt best and their history with Mazak isnt good, so instead Ive upgraded my Lima fleet with cheap railroad class 66 wheels/drive systems and i’m all set.

Edited by adb968008

41 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Thing is they were tooled that way and remain so.

Yes and I'd say they have retracted the decision to keep tooling it, the 67 is newer (I think, as they used the Lima tooling for a while) and it doesn't have them.