Hornby - New tooling - Mk3 slide-door coaches

Andy Y

5 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

I noticed that on antics website, they seem to have the exact dates of delivery. Are these true or false? 

That`s the site were i took the expected dates from.  

sorry if this has been covered on another page but are these SD coaches using part of the Oxford Rail tooling at all or completely separate beings?

im just wondering as I would like to see Hornby do the old loco hauled mk3s especially if they can accommodate the silver window surrounds that Oxford Rail had to paint onto the glazing........

9 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

sorry if this has been covered on another page but are these SD coaches using part of the Oxford Rail tooling at all or completely separate beings?

im just wondering as I would like to see Hornby do the old loco hauled mk3s especially if they can accommodate the silver window surrounds that Oxford Rail had to paint onto the glazing........

It was discussed a while back about the bogies being bespoke I presume that applies to the whole thing TBH

49 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

Sorry if this has been covered on another page but are these SD coaches using part of the Oxford Rail tooling at all or completely separate beings?

I'm just wondering as I would like to see Hornby do the old loco hauled mk3s especially if they can accommodate the silver window surrounds that Oxford Rail had to paint onto the glazing........

There is no connection between the Oxford Rail Mk3 coaches and Hornby's Mk3SD coaches.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

Interestingly the Hornby website is showing the Scotrail MkIII's as out of stock, presume they all must be going out to dealers.

That's a positive sign....

I saw Hattons had pretty much sold out of theirs too.

I am hoping they have them to send out today as they said the other day!

Edited by TomScrut

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

KMRC are showing stock of certain coaches, not sure if they've had them all.....

5 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

KMRC are showing stock of certain coaches, not sure if they've had them all.....

I have yet to see anywhere today that has a full 4 car rake doable. Almost everyone looks like at least one has sold out.

I should be fine I pre ordered in Feb but these do look like hot property

TGFB received from Hattons this morning - before the email to say it was on its way!!

Colour looks OK to me.

Which way round should it be - buffet next to power car or other way round?

On 29/05/2020 at 15:19, TomScrut said:

I think the statement about being sold out refers to Hornby’s pre order book, not Hattons....

They are showing stock with the statement against the item.

All the retailers obviously think they are going to be popular.

Mines arrived today,  coaches are very glossy and the existing powercars are very matt.  

On one coach is a distorted roof rib, chipped black window surrounds and a distorted print on the Saltire logo.  

Very meh.  

image.png

image.png

17 minutes ago, steven156 said:

Mines arrived today,  coaches are very glossy and the existing powercars are very matt.  

On one coach is a distorted roof rib, chipped black window surrounds and a distorted print on the Saltire logo.  

Very meh.  

image.png

image.png

That doesn't look very clever. What coach is it? So we can compare notes and see if there is some consistency.

The finish on the coaches vs the power cars, what is prototypical? I would expect the coaches are painted with a vinyl where the landmarks are, whereas I think the whole side of the power car is a vinyl hence why it's a different finish? Might be wrong but I am sure I read that's why the power cars are glossy on the front and less glossy at the sides.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

That doesn't look very clever. What coach is it? So we can compare notes and see if there is some consistency.

The finish on the coaches vs the power cars, what is prototypical? I would expect the coaches are painted with a vinyl where the landmarks are, whereas I think the whole side of the power car is a vinyl hence why it's a different finish? Might be wrong but I am sure I read that's why the power cars are glossy on the front and less glossy at the sides.

This was the TSD, R4891.  

• Thanks 1

Mine have turned up. Mines aren't as bad as yours looks but they haven't knocked me off my feet (figuratively) like I had hoped. Both have slight marks on the roof, and one of the door ends doesn't have enough paint on. Also a spec in the middle of the grey band under the window.

All stuff when viewed from a distance doesn't really matter, and at the price they were I'll probably let them get away with it.

• Like 1

I've opened up the coach that has a decent paint finish that I am keeping.  The other one is going back to Hattons (thanks again to them for their excellent service) 

I'm really torn over these coaches.  It's nice Hornby have made them, but I just wish they were better with lights- but ponder how much this would add to the price which is very decent.  

The Bogies are very decent repesentations.  They have pips in the frame which are presumably for fitting pickups like on the recent Mark 2s.  It is very ironic that on the Hornby HSTs the driver is getting a suntan in the cab as the train is moving and the passengers in the coaches are in tinted window darkness.  

The Brake Discs in the wheels are very nice- blackened.  

The Orange ETH is in bare orange plastic which looks terrible.  

The printing on the underframe is really excellent along the equipment cabinets.  Some of the mouldings are very nice.  One piece underframe that feels very much like the existing Mark 3 coaches in the range.    

Coach interior also harks back to the existing mark 3 coaches.  It's a blue plastic one piece coloured moulding.  However there is a bit more finesse to them than before.  it's been cleverly moulded to look very decent.  Tables are also in blue which takes away from the realism when looking from outside.  A dab of creamy/white paint will help them stand out a little.  

As mentioned the body moulding is very glossy.  As Eddie R has mentioned there is issues with the colours, maybe its because its so glossy and that is causing the issues but I'm not totally convinced.  

The gangway ends and the roof vents are seperately fitted.  The toilet hatches handles are moulded on.   

The coach moulding inside is in grey plastic, but Im not able to tell if this is the same grey as the exterior or if they have sprayed the grey because of the heavy glossy finish,  

There is a teeny tiny chip in the black surrounds under one of the windows, but that can be easily remedied with some paint on a toothpick or a very fine permanent market.  

For the price point it is very good but still a bit "design clever", Everard Junction on youtube has shown with a bit of work, you can jazz interiors up with lights for very modest sums of money and I recon once the rest of them have arrived they will be checked for paint finish and improved without a huge amount of work and I'll fit some cheap lights.  

I recon from general discussion on here and my own experience- Hornby have a very decent value for money coach that just about hits the price sweetspot, but it's the paintwork thats really lacking.  

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

It’s the colour of the blue silhouette that I am highlighting. The Hornby model has a colour very similar to provincial/ScR light blue hence I have included 2 separate pics. 

The weathering is a different effect all together and I’ve mentioned the application of vinyls on the real thing as the reasons fo this. 

I think the point is that there are photos on Flickr of Scotrail HSTs with the colours that seem to match the Hornby version, rather than your photos of the prototype. 

Roy