Hornby - New tooling - Mk3 slide-door coaches

Andy Y

35 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

I'd be a bit wary about saying the HST body side is the wrong shade.  This linked document shows the HST in a different shade again:

https://leftfootforward.org/2018/11/did-the-tories-and-snp-just-team-up-to-block-rail-re-nationalisation/

My impression is that the areas you've circled are more likely to be workaday discolouration

The middle blue on the model is not the same as the new unweathered vinyl on the the real thing...

Says someone who has taken one on its first run out of Haymarket Plat 0, with not a Mark on it.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

I'd be a bit wary about saying the HST body side is the wrong shade.  This linked document shows the HST in a different shade again:

https://leftfootforward.org/2018/11/did-the-tories-and-snp-just-team-up-to-block-rail-re-nationalisation/

My impression is that the areas you've circled are more likely to be workaday discolouration

Hmm I would side with Eddie on this one, he drives them everyday.  

Colour is so subjective, just look at Invercity Executive livery,  Who would have thought a shade of grey would be so controversial?  

I recon the only thing we can do is hold a model up to the real thing in perfect daylight to see.  

Edited by steven156
Extra bit I forgot to add at the end!

7 minutes ago, westie7 said:

The middle blue on the model is not the same as the new unweathered vinyl on the the real thing...

Says someone who has taken one on its first run out of Haymarket Plat 0, with not a Mark on it.

Talking about Haymarket Platform 0.......

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, steven156 said:

Talking about Haymarket Platform 0.......

IMG_0091.JPG

Upside down sockets [*] - that'll confuse the tourists................

[*] Labelled for "chunky chargers" (there's a euphemism) It's actually a good idea as many leads are from the bottom of the plug/power supply

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, steven156 said:

More from Platform 0.  

I just wish I got more shots of the coaches exteriors.  

The set was fresh off Haymarket Depot for a staff only event on Platform 0 that day.  

That's not me taking that one :lol_mini:

Actually, looking at my bedroom wall, the real thing is closer to Farrow and Ball Stiffkey blue as opposed to almost provincial as Eddie has said

• Funny 1

Just now, westie7 said:

That's not me taking that one :lol_mini:

Actually, looking at my bedroom wall, the real thing is closer to Farrow and Ball Stiffkey blue as opposed to almost provincial as Eddie has said

I remember that day well.   

The email came out at work a week before inviting everyone who hadn't been on a Inter7City HST yet to go across and have a good look around, it would have been rude not to!  

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, steven156 said:

Mines arrived today,  coaches are very glossy and the existing powercars are very matt.  

On one coach is a distorted roof rib, chipped black window surrounds and a distorted print on the Saltire logo.  

Very meh.  

image.png

image.png

Mine arrived from Derails today . Thanks Dan for excellent service, not least providing a guide to which models were actually needed to get correct ABCD rake . Mine are fine . They don’t have the roof rib distortion seen on yours and no chipped surrounds .I’m sorry to say it , I think you’ve just been unlucky there .

I’ve yet to run them with the Power Cars but they look good to me . Certainly better than my hastily repainted Joueff efforts that the Power Cars have been running with meanwhile!  For £31.95 I think these are excellent value for money . It’s a shame the Power Cars are so expensive! 

Once again , well done Derails . Very happy customer 

15911368591921423824517123956498.jpg

IMG_20200602_213851.jpg

15911370668703820972274072526170.jpg

15911371208961457511937106110207.jpg

Edited by Legend
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, steven156 said:

Coach interior also harks back to the existing mark 3 coaches.  It's a blue plastic one piece coloured moulding.  However there is a bit more finesse to them than before.  it's been cleverly moulded to look very decent.  Tables are also in blue which takes away from the realism when looking from outside.  A dab of creamy/white paint will help them stand out a little.  

The GWR ones the interior is a bright green. As the seats are actually grey I would have preferred a grey plastic moulding that I have to paint green onto rather than a green one I have to paint almost entirely grey! The blue of the Scotrail ones looks easier to make into a rough replica of the real thing.

The only one of my photos I can find for reference at the moment... (The Hornby interior being a vague resemblance of the green headrests.)

IMG_20180524_0919085.jpg.5ea8db0daecbfde4488aa2095d362f2c.jpg

• Like 1

On 03/06/2020 at 10:05, Afroal05 said:

The GWR ones the interior is a bright green. As the seats are actually grey I would have preferred a grey plastic moulding that I have to paint green onto rather than a green one I have to paint almost entirely grey! The blue of the Scotrail ones looks easier to make into a rough replica of the real thing.

The only one of my photos I can find for reference at the moment... (The Hornby interior being a vague resemblance of the green headrests.)

IMG_20180524_0919085.jpg.5ea8db0daecbfde4488aa2095d362f2c.jpg

I painted up a couple of the GWR slam door ones. Its not that difficult, just time consuming.

IMG_1891.jpg.f54dcfe4cc114068a891b5013208805b.jpg

IMG_1892.JPG.2547130673d829f2038cd13534183828.JPG

Edited by bart2day
Changed sliding door to slam door
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

My last two turned up today, Hattons had an IT issue meaning my order was stuck in limbo.

Anyway these I am a lot happier with. No issues whatsoever, other than all 4 of them have a small mould mark in the middle of the roof. Not a killer though.

Anyway set them up with Hunt couplings, running on R5, R4, R3 and R2 curves, I was getting issues where the coach ends were catching on each other on the tighter bends. Anyway the Hunt couplers for these are the same as the ultra close it would seem. So I replaced half of the couplers with close ones and it just gave them a bit more space. Not really noticeably worse looking either on my roundy roundy layout where they spend about 50% of their time on curves.

I did run them for a bit with the tension locks just to check there wasn't something else amiss. Anyway that wasn't the case but the gaps look awful on tension locks!

• Like 1

My Scotrail HA25 set turned up today, no major issues apart from some yellow paint missing on the door steps. Although coach B has had a bogie fitted on the wrong way round !!

Have tried to pull it out to turn it but are they push fit only or screwed to the body, it seems tight ??

UPDATE: Body off and seats out...

Blimey it's a good push fit !!!

20200605_152813.jpg

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Like 2

One of mine is catching on a point, the wheel on the left is jumping as it goes into the point. Back to back is 14.4 which isn't the issue I don't think.

Nothing else I have catches here :S

i will look into it further the point maybe just needs a bit of doctoring as it is also the only point they catch on I think.

20200605_150452.jpg.fd599860fd6d62b6038732682fbd41ec.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, robf said:

I'm sorry if this has already been covered, I did have a quick look in the thread, how easy is it to remove the bodies of the new MkIIIs?

Just held by four clips, pull out the bodyside on the four lifting points and it will slide up and off. 

1591451131131631825720183437338.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

Just held by four clips, pull out the bodyside on the four lifting points and it will slide up and off. 

1591451131131631825720183437338.jpg

Fantastic, thank you, looking to add passengers and lights.