Hornby - New tooling - Mk3 slide-door coaches

Andy Y

28 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

In the April edition of TES, we see some information on the ScotRail Mk3SD coaches.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/east-coast-line-bumper-edition

Hmm. I feel Hornby has created itself a little bit of a Catch 22 Situation here. I have the Power Cars, which while the rendition of the livery is Excellent, the off white section is far too grey. Now it looks a bit like the Mk3s are similar. Now does Hornby lighten the off white up a touch or keep it a very light grey to match it's power cars. 

It's not a knock and I know colours can look a little different when shrunk down, but I just feel it's a touch too dark / too grey. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

44 minutes ago, surfsup said:

Hmm. I feel Hornby has created itself a little bit of a Catch 22 Situation here. I have the Power Cars, which while the rendition of the livery is Excellent, the off white section is far too grey. Now it looks a bit like the Mk3s are similar. Now does Hornby lighten the off white up a touch or keep it a very light grey to match it's power cars. 

It's not a knock and I know colours can look a little different when shrunk down, but I just feel it's a touch too dark / too grey. 

I think its more important to match the power cars TBH. They will look ridiculous not matching I think, its not like its NR vehicles where they yellow never matches!

I think it's very light dependent too, I have just been looking at a pic of one at York on a dull day and it doesn't look a million miles off colour wise compared to my power cars. Would still say it's too dark but not as bad as on a bright day. I wonder how much of an effect the finish has?

• RMweb Gold

The GWR and XC coaches arrived just as I was leaving the office today, so I popped one of each randomly in the car and took some photos when I got home. Not professional quality but hopefully they show off the detail that has gone into this all-new tooling!

49813561063_fc4f595c15_b.jpg

XC - Full by Derails Models, on Flickr

49814100366_f6de68d843_b.jpg

XC - End by Derails Models, on Flickr

49813561508_81c126ac09_b.jpg

R4895 - Full by Derails Models, on Flickr

49813561623_8ac5ca68e8_b.jpg

R4895 - End by Derails Models, on Flickr

Great value for money in my opinion, they are pretty darn stunning!

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Derails Models said:

I agree, they do certainly look a step up from the slam door mk3s (from memory). And whilst you could argue they aren't as good as some other brands (albeit not mk3s) they aren't the same price. I'd probably not have ordered my ScotRail ones if they had been better but £60 a pop, and therefore you wouldn't have sold me the power cars! (At least I think its you I got the power cars from, I buy from that many places)

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Derails Models said:

The GWR and XC coaches arrived just as I was leaving the office today, so I popped one of each randomly in the car and took some photos when I got home. Not professional quality but hopefully they show off the detail that has gone into this all-new tooling!

49813561063_fc4f595c15_b.jpg

XC - Full by Derails Models, on Flickr

49814100366_f6de68d843_b.jpg

XC - End by Derails Models, on Flickr

49813561508_81c126ac09_b.jpg

R4895 - Full by Derails Models, on Flickr

49813561623_8ac5ca68e8_b.jpg

R4895 - End by Derails Models, on Flickr

Splendid!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I've lost count of the number of times it's been said that Hornby and Oxford Rail have not shared anything in terms of the Mk3 coaches. I think Paul Isles himself will go mad with repeating himself over and over again.

Yep agreed. So annoying that people still bring it up. 

• Agree 2

On 08/04/2020 at 16:06, TomScrut said:

No, what I mean is it looks like the new coaches have body mounted spring loaded NEMs, the older slam door ones have bogie mounted flexible NEMs. So the likelihood is that the new coaches should close couple. But the picture @Hilux5972 posted looks like the pocket is body mounted. Having said that it probably will be just the angle the pic was taken creating that illusion, as the evidence @MGR Hooper! presents looks solid!

it would appear as though this is not the case and the coaches are as the last GWR release and have a NEM coupling mounted to the bogie for either the close or normal coupler to be fitted.

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

it would appear as though this is not the case and the coaches are as the last GWR release and have a NEM coupling mounted to the bogie for either the close or normal coupler to be fitted.

Have you got one of the new carriages? All the photos I can see here look like the NEM is body mounted not bogie mounted as per the previous mk3s? I can't see how (based on the pics Derails put on of physical stock of the new sliding doors, better still the comparison pic MGRHooper! has put on) that it could be bogie mounted!

Or are you talking about the sleepers which I believe I said actually they do look like they are mounted on the bogie.

Edited by TomScrut

Just now, MGR Hooper! said:

Couplings....quite simple.

Hornby Mk3SD coaches - body mounted NEM pocket that can swing from side to side.

Hornby Mk3 coaches (HST, loco hauled and Sleepers) - bogie mounted NEM pockets.

That's exactly what I thought after your post earlier in the month about the sleepers, cheers!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

Thanks for confirming put my hand up....the photos now look conclusive....

I wasn't sure if I was confused about what you were saying to be honest as my post you were quoting was in about sleepers, old HST slam doors and the new sliding door ones!

Evening. 

I thought I'd do a quick initial review if it helps others. My sets have arrived today. Must say, I am quite impressed with these. Decided to get both GWR sets, as I'd regret if I didn't and they sell out and XC01... Have shown the original old tooling versus the new tooling - think for something that has been around a while, the old tooling isn't actually too bad, but the newer tooling shows how things have moved on. Windows are much better on the sliding door coaches, not looking as clunky... but I'm unsure about the tinting and if it is better or not... guess just used to what is on the other MKIII's...

49822436271_ee2fb607e2_k.jpg20200426_134040 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

49822436091_5f3c68923a_k.jpg20200426_134050 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

49822435641_36301de458_k.jpg20200426_134112 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

Close coupling is closer, but much more fiddly, think the hunt couplings would be the way to go here, given I feel the pockets may suffer like the Oxford releases. It appears to be the same mechanism underneath and looks to rely on being held in place... I may be wrong mind - so care will be taken when removing the shell...

49822749742_d6fc998bdf_k.jpg20200426_133924 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

I've a number of small imperfections on the sets I've had, particularly thw doors on some of the XC coaches. Some damaged and sloping decals, but will easily hide from some weathering, but QC perhaps could've picked something as obvious up... but at £35RRP...

49821897033_b360f59c56_k.jpg20200426_132629 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

49822435386_777a0dac16_k.jpg20200426_132911 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

49822435261_ba06022388_k.jpg20200426_133450 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

49822434936_a597c7d7bc_k.jpg20200426_133624 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

I must say, it's nice to see a representative interior for each coach type and the disabled and catering coaches actually looking like you'd expect instead of a painted window panel...  Will still benefit from seats being painted etc...

Overall, great model and really are eye catching and a great model by Hornby. Look forward to running these in ernest... Let's hope they revisit and update the original MkIII model now...

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1