Hornby - New tooling - Mk3 slide-door coaches

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

I can see Hornby doing a castle pair next year, along with a batch of ‘improved’ mk3s tbh 

Improved with better wheelsets I hope....................

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 11/08/2020 at 18:40, Hilux5972 said:

As I said earlier in the thread, it was reported from Simon Kohler by someone that questioned him, these wheels are cast to give the brake disc detail, rather than being turned. They could be replaced and have brake disc inserts added. Why they couldn’t have cast them and then turned down the flanges is beyond me though. Seems pretty simple enough to do. 

Are these cast wheels the same as those used on the RailRoad class 395, which also has brake disc detail? For some reason there are three different sets of class 395 wheels listed by Hornby as spares, two of which (this one and this one) look the same to me but have different prices (the third set is the motor-bogie wheels).

If the class 395 wheels are better than the ones fitted on the mark 3s, would the 395 wheels be suitable for use on future mark 3 releases?

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

Are these cast wheels the same as those used on the RailRoad class 395, which also has brake disc detail? For some reason there are three different sets of class 395 wheels listed by Hornby as spares, two of which (this one and this one) look the same to me but have different prices (the third set is the motor-bogie wheels).

If the class 395 wheels are better than the ones fitted on the mark 3s, would the 395 wheels be suitable for use on future mark 3 releases?

I know one of the class 395 wheels is plastic.

The railroad 395’s are definitely economical when it comes to paint & fittings.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 11/08/2020 at 14:01, newbryford said:

An email was sent to Hornby two weeks ago regarding the wheel standards.

No response as yet.

I finally received a reply from Hornby a couple of days ago and a replacement pack of wheels for 7 coaches arrived yesterday.

The flanges are noticeably shallower and have a more rounded profile compared to the pizza cutter originals.

116444675_HornbyHSTwheel.jpg.8dd5c2ea4067a225c89cd1d23ce0ece4.jpg

I shall fit them in due course.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

I finally received a reply from Hornby a couple of days ago and a replacement pack of wheels for 7 coaches arrived yesterday.

The flanges are noticeably shallower and have a more rounded profile compared to the pizza cutter originals.

Hope it has made a difference. Please do let us know.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I contacted Hornby regarding the wheels on my XC rake of SD coaches and have received a full set of replacement wheels today. Mistakes happen but glad that Hornby have shown great customer service for me on this occasion. 

• Like 1

On 06/01/2021 at 13:35, Phil-Essex said:

I contacted Hornby regarding the wheels on my XC rake of SD coaches and have received a full set of replacement wheels today. Mistakes happen but glad that Hornby have shown great customer service for me on this occasion. 

Are you able to measure the diameter of the wheels (excluding flanges) and let us know what you find?

I have found that my slam-door Hornby mark 3 (the GWR train set one) has different diameter wheels to the power cars meaning the corridor connectors are at different heights and don't line up properly.

11 hours ago, Phil-Essex said:

Hi Rhydgaled

I've measured the wheel diameter excluding flanges on both the old and new wheels and they appear to be identical. The only difference I can see is the depth of the flanges.

Thanks for the reply, but how do they compare to the power cars?

What I found was that one of my Limby power cars (and presumably my other power cars as well) had wheels around 11.5mm in diameter (excluding flanges), on my lima mark 3 coaches this measurement is 11.3mm and the Hornby tooled slam-door scale-length mark 3 had 12.6mm wheels. I took the couplings off the Hornby coach and a Limby power car to remove the gap between the coaches created by the tension locks and the gangways lined up with the Lima wheels on the coach but not with the Hornby ones.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2020 at 10:44, newbryford said:

How are you getting on @newbryford? Those certainly look better. Are they worth contacting Hornby for? Or am I better of just finding normal wheelsets to replace the pizza cutters with?

Cheers

Edited by JackB95
Fat fingerzzz
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, JackB95 said:

How are you getting on @newbryford? Those certainly look better. Are they worth contacting Hornby for? Or am I better of just finding normal wheelsets to replace the pizza cutters with?

Cheers

Haven't had chance to give them a run, but trundling them through a couple of spare points I have, they feel much smoother.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I too contacted Hornby about replacement wheels and after a bit of back and forth they arrived this morning. 

I quick measure up of the old and new wheelsets reveals the following:

Old:

Diameter of Face (excluding flange): 12.15mm

Overall diameter (including flange): 14.55mm

Flange depth: 2.4mm

New (replacements from Hornby)

Diameter of Face (excluding flange): 12.16mm

Overall diameter (including flange): 14.35mm

Flange depth: 2.19mm

Standard Hornby Wheelset  (as used in non-sliding door Mk3s)

Diameter of Face (excluding flange): 12.58mm

Overall diameter (including flange): 14.46mm

Flange depth: 1.88mm

Hope this helps,

Bruce 

Edited by D400

21 hours ago, D400 said:

I too contacted Hornby about replacement wheels and after a bit of back and forth they arrived this morning. 

Old:

Hope this helps,

Bruce 

Thanks for this. 12.15mm on the sliding door mark 3s is closer to the 11.5mm diameter of my Limby power car, can you post some pictures of power cars and mark 3s together to see if they look like they are riding at the same height? Here's what the standard Hornby wheelset looks like with a Limby power car:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/91035-ride-height-comparison-coach-e-and-power-car/

If the new wheelsets fix this problem, can Hornby sell them as spares for those of us with the slam-door mark 3s?

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2021 at 14:42, D400 said:

Old:

Hope this helps,

Bruce 

Thaaaaannnkssss Bruuuuuuuuce. I've had confirmation my wheelsets are being put in the post very soon. 

If you're going to contact them to sort out replacements, they'll be asking for the batch numbers too (the TALXX etc codes) which are the small white sticker on the back of the box by the CE markings.

• 1 month later...

Well I'm pleased to report that after a few emails back and forth, the replacement wheelsets arrived! All 7 carriages swapped out, and they run a dream...

... until I run the train as a consist and then the couplings snatch and derail the train.

Time to play around with couplings until I find a solution. Hunt's excellent couplings, especially for the Mk3SD coaches, split when the couplings snatch as they go around a bend and the magnetic connection is lost. I've tired Kadees too, and they also have problems. I need to experiment with rigid bars, but my problem is my superelevated track which means there needs to be some leaning allowance which rigid bars don't really allow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
2 hours ago, toolongtoremember said:

Rather disappointingly, I have just received an order of GWR MK3 coaches from their latest batch and they are still using the oversized flanges. Email sent to Hornby and the retailer to see what can be done. 

Have they actually made another batch (re-run production of the same model) or is it that the original first batch is still available? For instance, Rails of Sheffield were selling their stock off over the weekend for £25 a coach and they haven’t dealt with Hornby for over a year, so anything from them will be from the original batches.

There are a lot of the XC ones left knocking around as well, which retailers keep seeking to sell on at knock-down prices and again I think these are all from the original batches as they have never sold through. I never really did understand the logic behind the 18 XC coaches - two rakes of 7 plus four extra coaches to go with one pair of power cars seemed excessive to me - so I’m not surprised there are lots left that the retailers can’t seem to shift. I’m sure the announcement of an additional power car pack would help matters along!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

Have they actually made another batch (re-run production of the same model) or is it that the original first batch is still available? For instance, Rails of Sheffield were selling their stock off over the weekend for £25 a coach and they haven’t dealt with Hornby for over a year, so anything from them will be from the original batches.

There are a lot of the XC ones left knocking around as well, which retailers keep seeking to sell on at knock-down prices and again I think these are all from the original batches as they have never sold through. I never really did understand the logic behind the 18 XC coaches - two rakes of 7 plus four extra coaches to go with one pair of power cars seemed excessive to me - so I’m not surprised there are lots left that the retailers can’t seem to shift. I’m sure the announcement of an additional power car pack would help matters along!

It was from another supplier, who have just listed them as in stock within the last two weeks.  I have noticed that GWR powercar sets are suddenly coming back in to stock as well at certain stockists. 

• Informative/Useful 1