Hornby - New tooling - 59' Bulleid 'Short' coaches

Andy Y

If these are the old Kirk kits, Jason, be aware that they don't have the correct Bulleid profile (ie continuous curve).

Chris KT

With that in mind, I bought some Comet brass sides to use on the Kirk kits - looks like they may be relegated to the bottom of the 'to do' pile! :D

Once upon a time folks it was stated that Hornby and Bachmann were going to try and do their best not to duplicate eachother

And yet here we are!  Seems just as ridiculous as the Adams Radials honestly, do we truly need 2 manufacturers working on Bulleid coaches?

From what we've been given so far, it LOOKS like these will be on the early-style Maunsell underframe not the revised version ( different battery boxes and dynamo ) that Hornby correctly used for their Driving Trailer ................. I hope they're aware of the apparent anomaly !!?!

The 3D print sample certainly suggests the former layout (twin batteries per side).

post-7009-0-51377100-1546871956.jpg

Although, the CGI profiles hint at single batteries, diagonally opposed.

post-7009-0-18042300-1546872239_thumb.jpg

Note also the different detailed sides for the two different eras. The latter having recessed door top-lights, differing commode handles and reinforcing beading over body panel joints.

If reproduced onto the models, it will be an astonishing attention to detail. Well done Hornby.

Well done Hornby, the long drought is over for Bulleid coaches, (Sorry Bachmann you taken to long) will be adding a few set of these to my roster. I never would have thought they would ever do these.

• RMweb Gold

Q, Why have they gone for so many brake thirds ?.

The coaches were organized into 3-coach sets: brake third + composite + brake third. Hornby are producing 4 sets - 2 in SR livery, and 2 sets in BR livery, all with different running numbers.

Edited by RFS

Hornby is stating April 2019. That rather implies things are well advanced, doesn’t it?

But that isn't what the original poster said.

The original message was "I'm very happy the tooling is this far along already, it makes the release date looks all the more achievable." which implies that Hornby has shown some sort of result of the tooling, like an EP or a proper sample.

But Hornby haven't - all we have is a 3D print and some computer images.

It may well be that the tooling is well progressed, and an additional month has passed since the Hornby press event, but Hornby haven't shown that the tooling even exists never mind is "far along"

The original message was "I'm very happy the tooling is this far along already, it makes the release date looks all the more achievable." which implies that Hornby has shown some sort of result of the tooling, like an EP or a proper sample.

It may well be that the tooling is well progressed, and an additional month has passed since the Hornby press event, but Hornby haven't shown that the tooling even exists never mind is "far along"

Lighten up.

Not everyone knows the technical terms.

Jason

• Like 1

Cour

Courtesy of SEMGONLINE  I can see these make up into sets.

set 965--5711/2845/2846

set 973--5719/2861/2862

set 968--5714/2851/2852

set 972--5718/2859/2860

Formed 1946 and lasted well into the 60,s.

Listed as Waterloo-Wof E

Does this mean they were on the ACE and such trains  only or could they be used on the Bournemouth line?

regards,

Ed

According to Bradley, they were only used at first on gthe main-line WoE Expresses. By June 1947, they were used on Wloo´- Salibury and Wloo - Weymouth semi-fasts (superseded by 62`ft stock).  In 1959, Sets sets 963 .-972 were re-allocated to S&D line Services, while 973-9 were re-allocated to Central area Services.  Finally, set 978 served on the Hayling Island branch until closure.  Just right for the new Terriers!

By the way, has anyone seen a three-quarter pictube of the Bk 3rd?  -  Do we get the set numbers on the coach ends as Hornby have done with some of their Maunsell Caches?

Q, Why have they gone for so many brake thirds ?.

Hi Darren,

If you look at Hornby's / Andy Y's list of proposed releases, here. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140675-Hornby-new-tooling-59-bulleid-short-coaches/ you'll see that there are two proposed brake thirds / seconds for every composite. These will make up two correctly numbered (If chosen wisely) 3 - Car Sets for Era 3 (Southern), and two correctly numbered 3 - Car Sets for Era 4 (British Railways). 

The reasoning behind this is that previous, numbered. releases of Hornby's Maunsell corridor stock did not tie in, easily, with the formation of fixed sets, although this has become more easier after recent Maunsell releases, culminating in properly numbered, both coaches and sets. 

• RMweb Gold

Quite right. But all some of us care about is product release date, not semantics. April sounds good to me.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I’m glad the cat is out of the bag now having been discussing these 59ft versions with H and the very different 64ft versions already announced bt the blue boxers for a few years.

For further information on these releases and their formations and set numbers see my post here https://grahammuz.com/2019/01/07/Hornby-announce-2019-range-including-brand-new-bulleid-59ft-coaches-and-ex-lswr-diagram-1543-20-24t-brake-van/

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The sets were extensively used on the S&D and this excellent website here has many pictures of them on local trains - https://railphotoprints.uk/p752970880

Here are 3 examples, and the first one from  May 1963 is interesting in that there are 3 sets together in Bath Green Park - one on the train and it seems two more are stored on one of the centre roads

https://railphotoprints.uk/p752970880/e50a42f64

And two more nice ones in colour

https://railphotoprints.uk/p752970880/e135f17c5

https://railphotoprints.uk/p752970880/e197cabdc

Edited by RFS
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I’m glad the cat is out of the bag now having been discussing these 59ft versions with H and the very different 64ft versions already announced bt the blue boxers for a few years.

For further information on these releases and their formations and set numbers see my post here https://grahammuz.com/2019/01/07/Hornby-announce-2019-range-including-brand-new-bulleid-59ft-coaches-and-ex-lswr-diagram-1543-20-24t-brake-van/

Will the brake coaches be produced with the correct set numbers on the ends?

I recall how mixed up the trains were in the early 1960s with short and long coaches, deep and shallow vents etc but with two ranges of Bulleids now promised, there are no 'skirted-over' solebars, no brake composites and no tavern cars. The quirky  deep sides extending over the solebars gave a distinctive appearance, while brake compos are needed for the one-coach drop-offs from the 'ACE'. Surely the tavern cars would be a wonderful opportunity for a masterpiece of modern printing - and they weren't confined to SR either - didn't the Eastern make use of a set on the 'Master Cutler?' (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I recall how mixed up the trains were in the early 1960s with short and long coaches, deep and shallow vents etc but with two ranges of Bulleids now promised, there are no 'skirted-over' solebars, no brake composites and no tavern cars. The quirky  deep sides extending over the solebars gave a distinctive appearance, while brake compos are needed for the one-coach drop-offs from the 'ACE'. Surely the tavern cars would be a wonderful opportunity for a masterpiece of modern printing - and they weren't confined to SR either - didn't the Eastern make use of a set on the 'Master Cutler?' (CJL)

The forthcoming Bachmann range includes a brake composite - https://www.hattons.co.uk/337549/Bachmann_Branchline_34_800_Bulleid_brake_composite_10_Vents_in_BR_green_Price_is_estimated_we_will_notify/StockDetail.aspx