Hornby - New tooling - 59' Bulleid 'Short' coaches

Andy Y

Hornby have managed this before, because they keep their cards close to their collective chests. Remember the 2 BIL? It was only a very short time between their announcement and them actually appearing in the shops. 

Edited by SRman

That sounds fast or optimistic, I would have thought we would be seeing decorated EPs at this moment if we were expecting delivery in June.

I do not disagree, but there are still around 10 days before the New Year shutdown and, assuming that the tooling has been cut (the first pics were, of course, 3D printed, not moulded) samples could be air-freighted to Hornby in the next couple of weeks. The dates are certainly optimistic but not IMHO unachievable. 

Which ever month this year they do eventually hit the shelves, I will be happy. They will definitely be delivered a darn sight quicker than someone else's Bulleid carriages!

Martin

:senile: 

• Funny 1

I do not disagree, but there are still around 10 days before the New Year shutdown and, assuming that the tooling has been cut (the first pics were, of course, 3D printed, not moulded) samples could be air-freighted to Hornby in the next couple of weeks. The dates are certainly optimistic but not IMHO unachievable. 

Which ever month this year they do eventually hit the shelves, I will be happy. They will definitely be delivered a darn sight quicker than someone else's Bulleid carriages!

Martin

:senile:

I do not disagree either, it could happen. But like you, I won't be unhappy if they are a little late and they certainly going to be more rapid than bluebox (and probably a lot cheaper too).

However I can imagine some people complaining that they did not make it to Hornby's deadline - so I hope our posts allow them to understand that such small delays are perfectly normal and to be anticipated.

I do not disagree either, it could happen. But like you, I won't be unhappy if they are a little late and they certainly going to be more rapid than bluebox (and probably a lot cheaper too).

However I can imagine some people complaining that they did not make it to Hornby's deadline - so I hope our posts allow them to understand that such small delays are perfectly normal and to be anticipated.

Perhaps we will see what progress has been made on the short Bulleids at Alexandra Palace.

They should be fairly advanced by then as it will be quite close ( end of March ) to the anticipated release date 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHOTO-SR-MERCHANT-NAVY-4-6-2-NO-35015-ROTTERDAM-LLOYD-DOWN-ATLANTIC-COAST-EXPR/192813100080?hash=item2ce48e6c30:g:dZ4AAOSwKQ9Z6HGc

This photo for sale on EBay shows a 'shortie' set as the first coaches of the ACE. No date is given, but 35015 was the last MN transferred to the Western Section, so 1960+ would be feasible.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:34 PM, JSpencer said:

That sounds fast or optimistic, I would have thought we would be seeing decorated EPs at this moment if we were expecting delivery in June.

Bear in mind, though, that these aren't 100% new models. "All" Hornby have to do is create the two bodyshells/interiors and re-specify the battery boxes on their existing Maunsell underframes. 

I get the impression that Hornby have become very keen to fulfil their promises and will not be inclined to be over-optimistic about delivery dates. Personally, I'm happy to accept their release dates as a rough guide, but rather more realistic than the promises of you-know-who.

Such information is provided to help us plan our spending in advance. and late rather than early will be less likely to inconvenience purchasers who have less "slack" in their budgets than mine. A month or two either way won't bother me, it'll just defer the withdrawal of my old Kirk ones.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Do we know these are not 100% new models . While they may have the same underframes in real life , Hornby quite often design the whole model afresh. Might even be made in a different factory than the Maunsels . Just wondering if it’s ever been confirmed or just an assumption?

• RMweb Premium

Certainly Hornby has said in the past that it now has a complete suite of tools for each model, to facilitate moving tooling between factories. If so for these Bulleids, they may have tweaked the existing cads for the Maunsell underframe before cutting new tooling.

• Agree 2

Anyone interested in seeing b/w shots of these coaches' 1st class compartments' interiors, tune in to UK Freeview Channel 81 'Talking Pictures TV', this coming Friday, Feb 8th. at 14.00 hrs. and watch the first 5/10 minutes of "Scotland Yard, The White Cliffs Mystery".

• Thanks 1

As I am primarily a coaching stock enthusiast, I very much welcome Hornby's short Bulleids,

and have indeed ordered a set. But what does worry me is that now we have manufacturers

producing very fine pre-group and post-group coaches, and reading the rave reviews and comments whenever

a new type is released, it is disappointing to then discover, after the dust has settled, these

same models being flogged off cheap to get rid of them. It would seem that some of those who

rave about them don't actually go out and buy them.

I am astounded when such gems as Bachmann's Birdcages, Thompsons, and Hornby's Hawkesworths, Collets,

LSW rebuilds etc. are being left on the shelves, then discounted to shift them.

I don't think any of us would like Hornby/Bachmann etc. to give up on such models as a lost cause, when at 

last we've never had it so good in RTR.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, trevor7598 said:

As I am primarily a coaching stock enthusiast, I very much welcome Hornby's short Bulleids,

and have indeed ordered a set. But what does worry me is that now we have manufacturers

producing very fine pre-group and post-group coaches, and reading the rave reviews and comments whenever

a new type is released, it is disappointing to then discover, after the dust has settled, these

same models being flogged off cheap to get rid of them. It would seem that some of those who

rave about them don't actually go out and buy them.

I am astounded when such gems as Bachmann's Birdcages, Thompsons, and Hornby's Hawkesworths, Collets,

LSW rebuilds etc. are being left on the shelves, then discounted to shift them.

I don't think any of us would like Hornby/Bachmann etc. to give up on such models as a lost cause, when at 

last we've never had it so good in RTR.

I've also been delighted with the arrival of "decent" r-t-r coaches in ever greater variety.

The discounting thing happens with many locos, too. It's frequently caused by the manufacturers putting out a second batch before the market has properly absorbed the initial releases, rather than the item being unpopular in itself. Lots of us buy one set upon release but often have other things on order that mean we have to "draw breath" before getting the rest of what we want. A bit of discounting can therefore come as a nice surprise.:rolleyes:

Of course, we're also up against the loco-centric types who aren't really bothered what they hitch on to the tender coupling, and for whom their elderly Lima Mk1s are "good enough". I don't think there's any short-term cure for that, we just have to hope the realisation of what they're missing will eventually dawn.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I take on board what you say, John. Not many years ago I was viewing an excellent EM layout

at an exhibition, when the branch train appeared from the fiddle yard it was made up of two

Lima Mk 1's in GWR livery.

Bringing out a second run soon after the first could, yes, flood the market. But in the present

day I think manufacturers are aware of overproduction leading to ' fire sales ', and people

not buying a model when first released, but hoping it will appear in the bargain bins later on.

Coaches will always play second fiddle to loco's, but often these days we have correct

rolling stock to go with those locos, something undreamed of in years gone by.

It would be a great shame if manufacturers gave up producing new pre-group/pre-nat

coaches because of slow sales. I sincerely hope Hornby's brave move with the short

Bulleids, will make them a well -deserved profit, and will be supported by all ' Southern ' modellers.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/01/2019 at 23:42, autocoach said:

This announcement has come as a a much welcome blessing (along with the diagram 1543 van) as I model the summer of 1947 SR at Padstow and the Bachmann 64' coaches would not really be correct.  The only thing missing from my (unpublished) wish list is an early full cab West Country.

Hi, i have been looking for more information on the Bulleid shortie coaches but can't seem to find out what i am looking for i am hoping you can help me as you are modelling a part of the North Cornwall Railway.

• When did these coaches run to Padstow/ North Cornwall Railway and what services were they being used for? 
  • Also you mention that these are more correct for Padstow than Bachmann 64 coaches can you briefly explain why?

Thanks if you can help,

Samuel.

• RMweb Gold

Our friend in California carefully notes that his layout is set in mid-1947. By then the Hornby coaches were about and being used on services like WoE to Padstow etc. The Bachmann coaches, with the 15” deep sliding top-vents, simply didn’t exist then.  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Is that Salisbury?

It certainly looks like it to my eyes. I did a Google image search for Salisbury Station and looked for pictures showing the platform 6 bay (often used by the 'other' S&DJR services, of which the train in the image above appears typical) and it looks to be the same location.

I appear to have found a larger view for the image via Google images: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rmweb.co.uk%2Fcommunity%2Fuploads%2Fgallery%2Falbum_4149%2Fgallery_14351_4149_127883.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rmweb.co.uk%2Fcommunity%2Findex.php%3F%2Fgallery%2Fimage%2F78176-lswr-t9-30313-salisbury-14-7-1955%2F&docid=vSQWWDxxedfv2M&tbnid=CMZ2MP3EoeAj0M%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiypKu51_XgAhWaXRUIHchRCrcQMwhBKAAwAA..i&w=1427&h=1042&itg=1&client=firefox-b&bih=780&biw=1372&q=t9 30313&ved=0ahUKEwiypKu51_XgAhWaXRUIHchRCrcQMwhBKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

But, even though it's apparently on RMweb, trying to go to the image origin returns: "Sorry, there is a problem. You do not have permission to view this content. Error code: 2G188/1".

Edited by Ian J.
Grandma

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Calidore said:

Hoping for some news on these soon — although as mentioned the original delivery estimate of April/May clearly isn’t happening it’d be good to know when we can look forward to them.

....... not a whiff of shorties on todays 'Engine Shed'. 

• RMweb Gold
On 09/03/2019 at 18:23, Ian J. said:

It certainly looks like it to my eyes. I did a Google image search for Salisbury Station and looked for pictures showing the platform 6 bay (often used by the 'other' S&DJR services, of which the train in the image above appears typical) and it looks to be the same location.

It almost certainly is Salisbury but S&DJR services didn't run to there. Trains from that platform run down to Eastleigh/Southampton/Romsey etc and today still do, albeit with class 158 DMUs.

2 hours ago, RFS said:

It almost certainly is Salisbury but S&DJR services didn't run to there. Trains from that platform run down to Eastleigh/Southampton/Romsey etc and today still do, albeit with class 158 DMUs.

Err, they did. The Salisbury & Dorset Junction Railway - not the other S&DJR....

Colin

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/03/2019 at 18:23, Ian J. said:

It certainly looks like it to my eyes. I did a Google image search for Salisbury Station and looked for pictures showing the platform 6 bay (often used by the 'other' S&DJR services, of which the train in the image above appears typical) and it looks to be the same location...

5 hours ago, RFS said:

2 hours ago, colin.divall said:

Err, they did. The Salisbury & Dorset Junction Railway - not the other S&DJR....

Colin

Which is what I meant in my original post by 'other' - the usual S&DJR being the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway, the 'other' S&DJR being the Salisbury and Dorset Junction Railway... :)

• Agree 1