Hornby - New tooling - 59' Bulleid 'Short' coaches

Andy Y

34 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

The original drawings were 12mm:1ft so they had to be reduced to one third - 331/3% but the guy doing reductions couldn't set the 1/3 so he did them to 33%. It was noticed at proof stage but, owing to the cost of re-shooting them all, it was never done. (CJL)

Hello Chris.

Some of my drawings were included in that book, and in the 'Constuctor' magazine previously.

I took it upon myself to draw them (Pen and ink in those days) to 4mm. / 1ft. so there wouldn't need to be any re-scaling.

All the best, 

Frank

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have been unable so far to locate a photo of 2850 (later CWT13 and CC99013), the last surviving shorty Bulleid (now sadly broken up circa 1991) which may have assisted in this discussion on sidelight/window sizes:

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=487

Please note the new home for the former HRA Carriage Survey.

Martin

Edited by MartinTrucks
'broken up' date added
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MartinTrucks said:

I have been unable so far to locate a photo of 2850 (later CWT13 and CC99013), the last surviving shorty Bulleid (now sadly broken up circa 1991) which may have assisted in this discussion on sidelight/window sizes:

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=487

Please note the new home for the former HRA Carriage Survey.

Martin

There's a picture in one of the 'Southern Coaches / Southern Rolling Stock in Colour' books from Noodle.

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 11:22, Wickham Green said:

There's a picture in one of the 'Southern Coaches / Southern Rolling Stock in Colour' books from Noodle. 

Thanks.

I was looking for something online that I could share. However I did find the shot to which you refer in Mike King's SR Rolling Stock in Colour book. Sadly, it is taken from the stops end of a siding (probably at Horsham) with stock in the adjacent road and is not really suitable to enhance our discussion. I am sure that I have seen better on the web ......

Martin

Here's another query, this time on that hardy perennial, livery.

Hattons have a picture of R4888B which they state is a BTK and Era 4, even though it's in green, has BR numbering, and strengthening beading.

Hopefully this isn't the green the coach will be supplied in as it is far too light for a coach repainted from Crimson & Cream circa 1958. With the beading it can't be a coach that has evaded crimson & cream (the work involved would surely require a repaint) unless it is of a coach that was repainted in early 1957 when presumably old stocks of malachite were used up.

Or am I missing something?

• RMweb Premium

Hattons have probably mislabelled the coach. Also, they've just used the pictures Hornby put out on the Engine Shed blog so, as H themselves have said, they aren't the final finished product. Hopefully these coaches will have the green as per their BR(S) Maunsell releases, I believe that's the right colour?

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, autocoach said:

SK seems a little detached from the Bulleid coaches. Almost like he doesn't "own" them. 

Maybe he hadn't done his homework, you know, read a couple of pages of Mike King? Certainly wasn't much of an attempt to sell them to a captive audience. Perhaps he was skating around the elephant in the room, who knows? One thing for sure, these are the 1945-65 'must-haves' of 2019.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Chuffed 1 said:

Maybe he hadn't done his homework, you know, read a couple of pages of Mike King? Certainly wasn't much of an attempt to sell them to a captive audience. Perhaps he was skating around the elephant in the room, who knows? One thing for sure, these are the 1945-65 'must-haves' of 2019.

I thought exactly the same thing. SK had no real input at all. It was almost as though he had never seen or

been told about the coaches before hand, and no one had bothered to brief him about them before the ' interview '.

Doesn't matter the coaches have sold themselves, can't wait.

• Agree 1

On 07/03/2019 at 20:38, Oldddudders said:

Our friend in California carefully notes that his layout is set in mid-1947. By then the Hornby coaches were about and being used on services like WoE to Padstow etc. The Bachmann coaches, with the 15” deep sliding top-vents, simply didn’t exist then.  

Hi, I meant off come back to you sooner to ask if you or someone else could help me by answering a few questions:

1. How long was these short coaches used on the Padstow/ NCR line?
  2. Also when did the version Bachmann is producing appear on the Padstow/ NCR Line and how long for?

Thanks,

Samuel.

• RMweb Premium

Pure speculation on my part, but I suppose it's possible that Simon wasn't particularly involved in their development. Would their work have started before he came back on board? If so, then he may have found himself continuing a project that he perhaps wouldn't have commissioned.

• Agree 1

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 09:17, Gilwell Park said:

Hi  Where is " Lead en hall"? I always thought it was "leadnall".  Roger

Depends on whether or not one was born within the sound of Bow bells, old chap!

Martin

(One who was!)

• RMweb Gold

Maybe it's the filming of the interview that was wrong ?

When you watch interviews, generally, the camera generally changes between the person asking the question, the person answering the question interlaced with close ups and cutaways of the subject. This was a 1 angle interview with the camera constantly rolling. I'm not even sure there was a script or if it was ad-hoc. Its hard to assess any of the three subjects from a remote distance shot, which looked like 1 take.

When I spoke with Simon on the Bulleid's at Kernows Guildford shop opening, he was equally enthusiastic as everything else he was presenting.

9 hours ago, MartinTrucks said:

Depends on whether or not one was born within the sound of Bow bells, old chap!

Martin

(One who was!)

I could not hear Bow Bells but I could hear the ships sirens from the docks at night when it was quiet. Also N7 on the Chingford line and freight up the Lea valley so was nearly there.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

With what seems like remarkable timing the following has recently appeared on the website for Southern Pride kits, http://www.southernpridemodels.co.uk under 'SPM News':

"DUE TO BEING UNABLE TO GET NEW ACCURATE PRINTING OF OVERLAY SIDES WE HAVE DECIDED TO
RE-INTRODUCE THE TWO RANGES OF KITS THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN PRODUCED. SLIGHT PRICES RISES
ARE IN FORCE, PLEASE CHECK THESE AND AVAILABILITY ON THE BULLEID PAGE".

For those unfamiliar with these kits, the SPM Bulleids cover a wide range of the different types produced by the SR, so should allow realistic train formations to be modelled by those who wish to.  This part of the manufacturer's range have been absent from the market for several years for 're-tooling', and I'm not entirely clear what the detailed significance of this wording is, but generally it seems like welcome news.  I've not yet built one myself (I managed to acquire a Tavern Car a couple of years back, started but still incomplete, but only for lack of time); however if they're anything like the same supplier's BR Mark 1 coach kits, I made one several years ago and other than careful handling being required for the sides I found it not materially harder than, say, a Parkside wagon kit.

Edited by Willie Whizz
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

I can't answer that.  Perhaps one of our Southern experts has the knowledge to clarify what, if anything, the shortcomings of the original kits were?  If not major, then most of us may be prepared to overlook minor deficiencies in order to get reasonable models of the more obscure variant types which Hornby (or Bachmann) are unlikely ever to produce.

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 10:22, adb968008 said:

I'm not even sure there was a script or if it was ad-hoc.

Given that SK apologised at the beginning for being late (something that the viewer would've been totally unaware of) and his curt "nope" when asked if there were any future developments that he could talk about, I'd hazard a guess that the whole interview was off-the-cuff and certainly uneditied.